Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Absolutely. You could limit torque to as low as 230 ft lbs and still reach 306hp at 7000RPM.

7000 seems to be safe on this engine from what we have seen so far, but there is no reason to go that high with the stock turbo. MAP even took theirs to 8400 RPM a few times :O
Dude.... I just want to thank you so much! I have been asking this question for weeks and absolutely no one has responded to reassure me of my idea!! Haha looks like I’m gonna do it. E85 fuel kit, Hondata, prl or 27won turbo, inter cooler, cvt cooler, wheels, Toyo Proxes tires, intake, new splitters, exhaust, diffuser, etc. I want to be the only person to go full out in a CVT civic man. I want to prove people wrong that even the cvt can be an amazing car. (Even tho I pray every night that I wake up and my car is a manual)! Lol thank you I appreciate it very much.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely. You could limit torque to as low as 230 ft lbs and still reach 306hp at 7000RPM.

7000 seems to be safe on this engine from what we have seen so far, but there is no reason to go that high with the stock turbo. MAP even took theirs to 8400 RPM a few times :O
Hmmmmm I wanna see 306whp at 230wtq lol

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Hoping we get the gtx2860r gen2 numbers soon
Any word on those GTX2860R numbers? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

@PRL Motorsports
waiting on 2860R GEN@ dynooooooo
Any 2860R GEN2 dyno numbers yet?
We've had the GTX2860R GEN2 on our car for a few months now, but have not had time to get it on the dyno yet, as it hasn't quite been a priority per say. We had all intentions to dyno the car for the community's sake when we put the drag wheel package on, but then we moved more suspension modification and then flex fuel R&D and a few other up-coming projects... I'll bring this topic back up, though.

I wonder how much power these motors can hold without bending a rod or blowing up in general
So far our numbers are proving to be rather safe thus far, but we understand anything can happen at any time. We typically like to keep stock rods under 400 ft/lb tq on 4-cylinder applications, especially with 6mm rod bolts ;)

I wonder how much these weigh. ?? I'm running 15X6.5 Enkei's myself. Just for the lightness. 13X8's would be nuts. I'm in to see this.
We will try to get you a weight when these come back off!

Look at it logically - they're trying to sell a turbo kit. What are they going to say? It blew up?

Engines can take abuse for a long time. Is 25k at the power acceptable to you? 50k? 75k?

Point is, it hasn't been under abuse long enough. Instead of taking things at face value, understand and view it from all sides.
Of course we would state if it blew up. :)

@PRL Motorsports has been very open in all the development they have done on their SI and Type R. It's all laid out in different threads for each product they have produced. I firmly believe they, and they have even said they would let us all know at what point they blew up an engine because they have been honest the whole way through and the community would benefit from this knowledge, and they have shown they care about the community. Sure they have a product to sell, but if you sell a product that doesnt last, or destroys your engine, then people wont buy that product. They gain nothing from doing that except to become known as a company who only cares about the $ and not the product or the reputation they have.

Couldnt have said it better. We have to push the platform to find what those limits are and PRL is doing that and doing in a very very transparent way. As with any mod, if you aren't willing to take the risk something will break, then just don't mod your car.
^This. We want to ensure that the community is educated and up-to-date with everything possible. We aren't in the business of breaking cars, we want to sell happiness and trust.

No kidding. I never said I wouldn’t take the risk. I’ve taken far higher risks with Honda engines. This bolt on shit is beginner shit. I’ve done far more to engines.

My only point is nobody knows the limits now. I never accused PRL of being a fly by night business either. The limits are unknown. Of course the company trying to sell you a kit is going to pump it up. Then when your engine blows because you don’t know what you’re doing, you come back whining. I’ve seen it hundreds of times.

I asked technical questions on page 17 about head lift and the fuel system and the next response was about badass wheels. I get it now.

Good luck all.
@PRL Motorsports - can you respond to his question regarding the duty cycle of the stock injectors and the head bolts?
Our apologies, I/we did not see this post. We've never intentionally dodged any questions, EVER. It's extremely difficult to keep up with every comment or post on so many threads and communication outlets. :( What was the question?

Has anyone received word of their GTX2860R orders shipping yet?
No kits have shipped yet, aside from 2 prototype kits.

I was at JoTech Motorsports in Garland, Texas on Saturday. They had a pre-production kit there that they were going to begin installing on their car. I should have taken some pictures as I pulled and inspected the pieces from the box. For a pre-production version, it was amazing. Excellent engineering and precision welding and fabrication.

I am very much looking forward to this kit.
Thank you! :) It's always nice to hear feedback, especially when it's positive and in regards to a prototype kit!

I remember reading that they were limited to only 400 hp because of the injectors on the car on there bigger turbo
We are currently limited by fuel and MAP sensor, though we are working on ways around this.

Hey yall, there is now a "street" downpipe option up on their website, PRL hasn't mentioned it yet here from what I can see but the street version includes a cat. They are waiting for castings to come in for the catted downpipes but hopefully we'll have updates on kit ETAs here in the next few weeks.

Also shout out to Spencer at PRL, excellent customer service my dude!
That is correct! Thanks for the kind words buddy! :) - Spencer

+1 to Spencer--he ensured I'll be a multiple return customer at PRL even for non-PRL products!
You guys are the best! :) - Spencer

Yessss! Really wanted a catted version of the kit. That said, I'm hoping the the presence of a cat here doesnt cause too much power loss. I know that on the stock turbo, the difference is super minimal, but it's unclear what the effect will be on an upgraded turbo.
I would only expect a minimal difference here as well. Hopefully we can gather some data for you guys shortly!

I do not think that would be the reason for the delay. However, I am hopeful that we will see that as an option in the future. While there are third party electronic boost controllers available today that can handle boost by gear, etc, it would be much more efficient to have a 10th Gen Civic specific solution.
The only component we are currently waiting for is downpipes, everything else is boxed, bagged and tagged. Yes, we would love to be able to offer a proper boost control system for you guys once coding is available.

Anybody know if it’s possible to use the turbo with the cvt?? Don’t hate... theoretically I could tune the torque under 250 and let the horse power go into the high 200s right? Lol I’m new to the whole cvt thing!
We've had a BUNCH of CVT inquiries, but nobody willing to pull the trigger yet. Essentially power can be limited and dialed back for CVT safety.

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
We've had the GTX2860R GEN2 on our car for a few months now, but have not had time to get it on the dyno yet, as it hasn't quite been a priority per say. We had all intentions to dyno the car for the community's sake when we put the drag wheel package on, but then we moved more suspension modification and then flex fuel R&D and a few other up-coming projects... I'll bring this topic back up, though.

So far our numbers are proving to be rather safe thus far, but we understand anything can happen at any time. We typically like to keep stock rods under 400 ft/lb tq on 4-cylinder applications, especially with 6mm rod bolts ;)

We will try to get you a weight when these come back off!

Of course we would state if it blew up. :)

^This. We want to ensure that the community is educated and up-to-date with everything possible. We aren't in the business of breaking cars, we want to sell happiness and trust.

Our apologies, I/we did not see this post. We've never intentionally dodged any questions, EVER. It's extremely difficult to keep up with every comment or post on so many threads and communication outlets. :( What was the question?

No kits have shipped yet, aside from 2 prototype kits.

Thank you! :) It's always nice to hear feedback, especially when it's positive and in regards to a prototype kit!

We are currently limited by fuel and MAP sensor, though we are working on ways around this.

That is correct! Thanks for the kind words buddy! :) - Spencer

You guys are the best! :) - Spencer

I would only expect a minimal difference here as well. Hopefully we can gather some data for you guys shortly!

The only component we are currently waiting for is downpipes, everything else is boxed, bagged and tagged. Yes, we would love to be able to offer a proper boost control system for you guys once coding is available.

We've had a BUNCH of CVT inquiries, but nobody willing to pull the trigger yet. Essentially power can be limited and dialed back for CVT safety.
Ill pull the trigger haha.... Im not too worried about the CVT as i can limit torque and hp to be safe for the CVT and belt. I looked into getting a different belt similar too one in the Nissan Maxima with 300 hp because it would be able to handle the extra power to an extent and some torque obviously not all of it though but i found that it is not worth it. Theoretically i could limit torque under 275 an keep horse power under 350 and be safe correct? Ill purchase it soon and make a thread guys!!!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ill pull the trigger haha.... Im not too worried about the CVT as i can limit torque and hp to be safe for the CVT and belt. I looked into getting a different belt similar too one in the Nissan Maxima with 300 hp because it would be able to handle the extra power to an extent and some torque obviously not all of it though but i found that it is not worth it. Theoretically i could limit torque under 275 an keep horse power under 350 and be safe correct? Ill purchase it soon and make a thread guys!!!
Correct. I'd suggest reaching out to your preferred tuner and getting some feedback on their experience with CVT cars and dialing power back. Awesome!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I know you state stock fuel system - so that means stock fuel pump and injectors? What are the injectors duty cycle at 375 - 400 whp?

Did you experience any head lift or modify the head bolts at all? Beautiful kit. Well done.
@PRL Motorsports

This is the post with the questions I was referring to. Please answer them.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports

This is the post with the questions I was referring to. Please answer them.
Injectors and pump are both maxed/near max. I will have to to double-check the datalogs when our tuner gets back, but both were maxed to the point where there is nothing left to push things safely. We're exploring a few different ideas for in-tank pump upgrades, but there are still limitations with the HPFP and injectors.
Our motor is 100% stock and untouched, so no the head bolts have not been modified in any way. We have not experienced any head-lift issues.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Thank you. I know that everyone here is eager to know, as this is the configuration that you're currently recommending we purchase. The close of pre-orders is quickly arriving, so please keep us posted. :)

EDIT: If possible, it would be great to see a comparison to the 2860RS and/or stock on the same chart. Just a nice to have. :thumbsup:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Injectors and pump are both maxed/near max. I will have to to double-check the datalogs when our tuner gets back, but both were maxed to the point where there is nothing left to push things safely. We're exploring a few different ideas for in-tank pump upgrades, but there are still limitations with the HPFP and injectors.
Our motor is 100% stock and untouched, so no the head bolts have not been modified in any way. We have not experienced any head-lift issues.
Send me a test kit ;) my injectors are fat and happy with the meth system on top.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
for those who want to push 300whp (which i believe is actually possible from this block with only head work to get to spinning up to 7krpm on ethanol and a 2867rs gen 2), keep in mind that you're now looking at needing a suspension that can put that power into hoosiers, axles that won't snap in half, and if PRL is saying that they are at the fueling limits, then new injectors and pump as well with a LOT of testing and dyno work. you're also going to need to HEAVILY front bias the car (ie, you're going to need a fortune 510 or dreadnought custom suspension from them with ridiculous spring rates..)

suddenly you're in for way over the cost of a CTR or hell, even an accord with the detuned 2.0t, and you should be asking yourself "what was the point of this?" are you looking for track performance? drag performance? autox?

i say this as someone with a separate project car of death that is draining significant cash every month and has run trouble-free like once in the last 2 years before i had to tear it down and start again. the project is setting up for full autox seasons and a couple of track days a season with an emphasis on reliability, but i was in for WAY too much on this particular project before i thought about "what the hell am i building this up for?"

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Not everyone is out to build a car for tracking, while I do go to the drags ocassionally I'm just looking to bump power up to have fun with on some spirited driving mostly. Yes for some that want to go all out it's going to cost a pretty penny but for the average Joe this kit with the base turbo or reccommended gtx2860r which i ordered are looking to just increase the power to make the care even more fun than it already is also plenty of people have raised the Rev limiter to 7k without issues tuners have safely raised the limiter 400-500 rpms on stock heads with no issues for a very long long time now

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Upper%20and%20Lower%20Castings_zps1cyjknpt

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Upper%20Casting%20Non%20Machined%20outside_zpszu324kny

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Upper%20Casting%20Non%20Machined%20outside%201_zpsfygczfgn

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Lower%20casing%20machined%20outside_zpsrhe9lvyb

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Upper%20Casting%20Non%20Machined_zpsuyefkt8m

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Lower%20Casting_zps2hyij5qx

Downpipe castings are finally finished and are currently being machined! Once finished, we will be welding turbo kit downpipes up and can begin shipping orders! :thumbsup: We expect all orders to be shipped before 12/1/18, our pre-order sale will end once orders begin shipping.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
Is the 5-bolt turbine side meant to be welded on to the housing or has that end just not been machined yet?

Also, for anyone looking to dip their feet into the pond first, this plumbing and a bog stock gt2554r will easily do 250+ bhp probably without adding any lag at all at <20psi... This is a rough guesstimate based on how how much reliable power people get out of 1.6-1.8 BP turbo miata builds with the same turbo and cast manifolds.

The 2554r is about 500$ max, whereas my last gtx2860rs build cost about 1500 for the turbo alone.
Sponsored