1.5T PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look at it logically - they're trying to sell a turbo kit. What are they going to say? It blew up?

Engines can take abuse for a long time. Is 25k at the power acceptable to you? 50k? 75k?

Point is, it hasn't been under abuse long enough. Instead of taking things at face value, understand and view it from all sides.
@PRL Motorsports has been very open in all the development they have done on their SI and Type R. It's all laid out in different threads for each product they have produced. I firmly believe they, and they have even said they would let us all know at what point they blew up an engine because they have been honest the whole way through and the community would benefit from this knowledge, and they have shown they care about the community. Sure they have a product to sell, but if you sell a product that doesnt last, or destroys your engine, then people wont buy that product. They gain nothing from doing that except to become known as a company who only cares about the $ and not the product or the reputation they have.

Risk is always a factor. PRL is far from a fly by night company and I am sure they are doing their best to work inside what they believe are safe limits. Back in 2005 I purchased a 2002 WRX used with 32k miles. Common thinking back then was 300whp was the safe limit for the EJ205. I swapped to a VF34 turbo and tuned to 300whp. It ran like that from 50k miles to 110k miles. I did street racing pretty much every weekend, and a few drag passes with it. Then I sold it to my younger brother in 2013. By then people had determined the engine could handle much more power. He swapped to an EFT 7163 turbo and tuned to 450whp. He has been much harder on the car than I ever was. Far more drag passes (11.6@117) and lots of street use. It ran like that from 130k to 190k miles before the engine had a journal bearing failure a couple weeks ago. He's swapped in another low mileage EJ205 and is now tuning for over 500whp. For both of us, preventative maintenance was always important. Compression check every few oil changes. Always full syn oil (eneos, royal purple, mobil 1) every 3000-5000 miles depending on how hard it was driven. I had it tuned by Precision Tuning and he has it tuned by Procom. Through all of it, we've always known failure was possible and have kept an eye on the major ticket items likely to fail so that when it occurred we knew where to get replacements. I broke the trans, he broke the engine. The car always has been through a few r160 rear diffs.

Point being, the only way to determine what is possible.... is to find limits. That takes time.
Couldnt have said it better. We have to push the platform to find what those limits are and PRL is doing that and doing in a very very transparent way. As with any mod, if you aren't willing to take the risk something will break, then just don't mod your car.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look at it logically - they're trying to sell a turbo kit. What are they going to say? It blew up?

Engines can take abuse for a long time. Is 25k at the power acceptable to you? 50k? 75k?

Point is, it hasn't been under abuse long enough. Instead of taking things at face value, understand and view it from all sides.
If you don’t want to risk anything than stay stock lol. Anytime you change something performance wise there will always be a risk factor but it is the owners choice and fault if anything goes wrong.

DC2si

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Risk is part of the game . I myself knew leaving the dealership my warranty was basically gunna be shot within a few days lol but these are Honda motors
If you mod and tune the right way and don’t drive like an animal 100% of the time odds are you won’t have problems

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Internals are up on PRLs site!

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Internals are up on PRLs site!
If I wasn't in the middle of building a K-Series, I'd be on these in a heart-beat!

Moltisanti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram
Country flag
If you don’t want to risk anything than stay stock lol. Anytime you change something performance wise there will always be a risk factor but it is the owners choice and fault if anything goes wrong.
No kidding. I never said I wouldn’t take the risk. I’ve taken far higher risks with Honda engines. This bolt on shit is beginner shit. I’ve done far more to engines.

My only point is nobody knows the limits now. I never accused PRL of being a fly by night business either. The limits are unknown. Of course the company trying to sell you a kit is going to pump it up. Then when your engine blows because you don’t know what you’re doing, you come back whining. I’ve seen it hundreds of times.

I asked technical questions on page 17 about head lift and the fuel system and the next response was about badass wheels. I get it now.

Good luck all.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I know you state stock fuel system - so that means stock fuel pump and injectors? What are the injectors duty cycle at 375 - 400 whp?

Did you experience any head lift or modify the head bolts at all? Beautiful kit. Well done.
@PRL Motorsports - can you respond to his question regarding the duty cycle of the stock injectors and the head bolts?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Has anyone received word of their GTX2860R orders shipping yet?

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Not yet 8/24 was just an estimate I'm sure PRL will release an update soon I was at the shop last weekend visiting and the kit is gonna be soooo I can't wait for mime gonna be worth the wait for sure!

LoneStarFlatLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
I was at JoTech Motorsports in Garland, Texas on Saturday. They had a pre-production kit there that they were going to begin installing on their car. I should have taken some pictures as I pulled and inspected the pieces from the box. For a pre-production version, it was amazing. Excellent engineering and precision welding and fabrication.

I am very much looking forward to this kit.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was at JoTech Motorsports in Garland, Texas on Saturday. They had a pre-production kit there that they were going to begin installing on their car. I should have taken some pictures as I pulled and inspected the pieces from the box. For a pre-production version, it was amazing. Excellent engineering and precision welding and fabrication.

I am very much looking forward to this kit.
JoTech bothers with meager Civics now-a-days?

LoneStarFlatLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
JoTech bothers with meager Civics now-a-days?
Not sure what you mean by "meager Civics". The Generation 10 cars are easy to mod and get some extreme performance out of since they come from the factory with a turbo. With PRL making bolt ons for this model, there is a lot of demand. Kenny follows the good money. I was talking to him Saturday and he definitely likes the GT-Rs but the Si has so much potential (and profit for him).
Sponsored