bendrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Impreza HB :'(
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@MetalKnightCivicHB is a thread necromancer

But since I'm lurking and this is at the top of the forum.

I have the Mfactory helical LSD on my sport HB along with some other goodies. I keep my garage page updated with mods.

I went helical since it's my daily. Completely transforms the car when throttling through/out of corners. I haven't had it on track though... Also I've never driven an SI so I don't have much to compare it to.

Car feels like a proper hot hatch
Sponsored

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
@MetalKnightCivicHB is a thread necromancer

But since I'm lurking and this is at the top of the forum.

I have the Mfactory helical LSD on my sport HB along with some other goodies. I keep my garage page updated with mods.

I went helical since it's my daily. Completely transforms the car when throttling through/out of corners. I haven't had it on track though... Also I've never driven an SI so I don't have much to compare it to.

Car feels like a proper hot hatch
that’s what I’m looking for. Undecided if I should just grab an si tranny from the local junkyard and swap that, or buy the MFactory one and put that in.

bendrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Impreza HB :'(
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Swapping the trans would surely be less labor intensive.

I'm not sure which would be more cost effective however.

If you're opening up the trans for an aftermarket diff, may as well get a final drive too. Or even a gearset if you're big pimpin'.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can sell your sport spare parts after the Si swap, then that method would be the most cost efficient.

I read that the mfactory is way better than the Si lsd

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There's a thread here somewhere on swapping the Si trans into a hatch. Its not a direct bolt on (axles needed among other things?) But doable.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
There's a thread here somewhere on swapping the Si trans into a hatch. Its not a direct bolt on (axles needed among other things?) But doable.
Yea I found that post. It was just the tranny and axels. Can find a used tranny for around $1500, axels probably $150 a pop.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Better? How so? I have so many ideas floating around in my head of what I wanna do.
clutch vs helical for one, virtually no wear on the LSD itself. It's more expensive than the SI one so better materials used to make it. The factory one is also built for daily driving where an aftermarket one will be more performance-oriented so it will be more direct, not as sloppy. Can't find the exact words to describe it but basically Honda won't be putting a 1000$ LSD in a car they'll sell to millions. They'll get one a bit cheaper so they can make some money on the car.

2020PWPV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
clutch vs helical for one, virtually no wear on the LSD itself. It's more expensive than the SI one so better materials used to make it. The factory one is also built for daily driving where an aftermarket one will be more performance-oriented so it will be more direct, not as sloppy. Can't find the exact words to describe it but basically Honda won't be putting a 1000$ LSD in a car they'll sell to millions. They'll get one a bit cheaper so they can make some money on the car.
The Si helical seems to be tuned for wider turns and is not so great on tighter turns. I'd be curious what the clutch type would drive like. Even in my Si its kinda chunky at low speed.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you @Benster and @2020PWPV2 for your input about the lsd difference.
All I read is that the mfactory lsd has a more aggresive/responsive in comparison to the factory lsd.

2020PWPV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag

This is a good video from Aegean Blue Si that shows the limit of the stock Si diff. I'm sure the 2020 is probably the same just with shorter diff ratio.
Sponsored