IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Title kind of says it. If i install the prl front pipe for the ctr will it pass smog/emissions? I'm aware it is after the cat but i noticed it says off road use only so i wasn't sure. All knowledge welcome!
Sponsored

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
You don't need a smog test for six years so......

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Title kind of says it. If i install the prl front pipe for the ctr will it pass smog/emissions? I'm aware it is after the cat but i noticed it says off road use only so i wasn't sure. All knowledge welcome!
I've been trying to find the no shit answer to this and a few other items as well. Gave up on trusting the collective internet and went straight to the source, AKA the Bureau of Automotive Repairs

Best I could find is an appendix in the 2017 Smog Check Manual.
Direct Link: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf
Reference Page: https://bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Smog_Check_Manual_and_Reference_Guide.html

Pertinent info is on Page 49 under the Exhaust section. The front pipe should fall within the following category, which does not require verification of an EO during smog.
"Customized Exhaust on vehicles without after-treatment components, or installed after last required “Cat-Back”- Crossover pipes, Oversized pipes, etc."

I'm not sure why PRL are relying on the Off-road Use Only statement, but it shouldn't be from a smog perspective.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it will pass emission. may fail visual but they would really have to get under there and look
Frontpipe doesn’t but downpipe will since thats where the cat would be

OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Frontpipe doesn’t but downpipe will since thats where the cat would be
I’m aware the cat is in the downpipe but PRL and a few other manufactures have noted off road use only on their front pipes. Even called them directly and they said “We're not sure since all states are different.”

OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I've been trying to find the no shit answer to this and a few other items as well. Gave up on trusting the collective internet and went straight to the source, AKA the Bureau of Automotive Repairs

Best I could find is an appendix in the 2017 Smog Check Manual.
Direct Link: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf
Reference Page: https://bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Smog_Check_Manual_and_Reference_Guide.html

Pertinent info is on Page 49 under the Exhaust section. The front pipe should fall within the following category, which does not require verification of an EO during smog.
"Customized Exhaust on vehicles without after-treatment components, or installed after last required “Cat-Back”- Crossover pipes, Oversized pipes, etc."

I'm not sure why PRL are relying on the Off-road Use Only statement, but it shouldn't be from a smog perspective.
Thank you for the info!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Not sure which state you reside in but in CA it’s every other year.
not on a brand new car. You don't have to smog a new car for 6 years and then it becomes every other year after that.

The front pipe should be legal. Anything after the cat should not affect the carb legality.

OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
it will pass emission. may fail visual but they would really have to get under there and look
Thank you! Guy I go to get my cars smog’d is really cool and doesn’t do the visual. Got a modded diesel and he passes it.

OP
OP
IHadToRun

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
not on a brand new car. You don't have to smog a new car for 6 years and then it becomes every other year after that.

The front pipe should be legal. Anything after the cat should not affect the carb legality.
Thank you! Didn’t know this, last new purchased vehicle was 2012 and still had to do it in 2014.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thank you! Didn’t know this, last new purchased vehicle was 2012 and still had to do it in 2014.
actually i take that back. I believe they changed the law this year to make it 8 years and not 6 years.

you should not have had to do a smog in 2014. A smog exempt fee should've been added onto your registration. Also when you go to sell your car, i believe the seller doesn't need to smog if its within 4 years.

edit: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
actually i take that back. I believe they changed the law this year to make it 8 years and not 6 years.

you should not have had to do a smog in 2014. A smog exempt fee should've been added onto your registration. Also when you go to sell your car, i believe the seller doesn't need to smog if its within 4 years.
They just changed the law this year for smog from 4 years to 6 years from the model year of the car. But now in California they will need you to come in for a recall to do a software update to the ac control unit. Otherwise they will not let you register the car.
Honda Civic 10th gen Prl Front Pipe CA legal? 96C9024D-1234-419E-A5E6-2F6C0EA5C446

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
They just changed the law this year for smog from 4 years to 6 years from the model year of the car. But now in California they will need you to come in for a recall to do a software update to the ac control unit. Otherwise they will not let you register the car.
ah yeah, that's the case with the CTR's harness recall too. They supposedly give you a Proof of correction certificate also.

They changed it to 8 years starting this year. It's directly from ca dmv site. It used to be 6.

Either way, as long as you don't touch anything from the cat forward, you are fine.
Sponsored