First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I guess people form an attachment with the car, too. Pretty sleazy.

In your experience, do the ones who give the car back abuse it on the way to the dealership?
I mean I am not really sure how to answer that I have only known one person who went through it and we became real familiar with this whole scam. I would think they would not abuse the car mainly because they do not want to have to come out of pocket if something breaks and they are not in the process of owning. They better be glad this did not happen to me because I would have found some way to sew the shit out of them. I would be getting a new Honda for free.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There should be data on 2018s, since they're selling them new. I'd use the delta of a new vs used w/400 miles as a data point.

It's also what I use to tell people when they're looking at getting last year's new leftovers vs this year's brand new cars to make sure they're getting a proper discount on the car. It's usually about $1000 or so on our cars. New with just a few miles or not, they depreciate sitting on the lot and the enough time passes that they're no longer the current model year, even if the new one had no changes.

You just plug, say, a '17 Si and a '18 Si in... used... same miles and setup the scenario. You can use that delta to make sure you're getting the depreciation discounted on the '18s now.

I got you that you're looking at a '19 and trying to see if you can snag one with summers that quit being a factory option and went to a dealer add-on.

Good luck! Whatever happens, I hope you get a deal you feel good about.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
There should be data on 2018s, since they're selling them new. I'd use the delta of a new vs used w/400 miles as a data point.

It's also what I use to tell people when they're looking at getting last year's new leftovers vs this year's brand new cars to make sure they're getting a proper discount on the car. It's usually about $1000 or so on our cars. New with just a few miles or not, they depreciate sitting on the lot and the enough time passes that they're no longer the current model year, even if the new one had no changes.

You just plug, say, a '17 Si and a '18 Si in... used... same miles and setup the scenario. You can use that delta to make sure you're getting the depreciation discounted on the '18s now.

I got you that you're looking at a '19 and trying to see if you can snag one with summers that quit being a factory option and went to a dealer add-on.

Good luck! Whatever happens, I hope you get a deal you feel good about.
TMV delta between new '18 and used '18 with 400 miles is just over $1,000. Not sure if the depreciation factor is strictly comparable for a '19, but that's another datum to keep in mind. Thanks.

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if it helps I got my 2018Si brand new with HFP for 36K CAD taxes included in Aug 18. It had 4kms on it.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Visited the dealer today.

Salesman with whom I'd been working (and whom I'd liked) wasn't there at the time we'd agreed on. Manager said he was doing his taxes. I waited for ten minutes for another salesman to take me out.

Took the car for a test drive. Absolutely babied it into second right out of the parking lot and... crunch.

Rest of drive uneventful.

Visual inspection turned up a 2-inch scuff and a four-inch gouge (thin, but deep) on the back bumper. Somebody had backed into something. "We'll take care of that."

I presented my low-but-fair offer and the money guy said no way. I'll spare you details of what followed, but, short version -- I walked out. Glad that's over.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Visited the dealer today.

Salesman with whom I'd been working (and whom I'd liked) wasn't there at the time we'd agreed on. Manager said he was doing his taxes. I waited for ten minutes for another salesman to take me out.

Took the car for a test drive. Absolutely babied it into second right out of the parking lot and... crunch.

Rest of drive uneventful.

Visual inspection turned up a 2-inch scuff and a four-inch gouge (thin, but deep) on the back bumper. Somebody had backed into something. "We'll take care of that."

I presented my low-but-fair offer and the money guy said no way. I'll spare you details of what followed, but, short version -- I walked out. Glad that's over.
Good!!! Glad to hear it. You’re way better off this way.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Tags, how much did they want for the car? I think if they fix the bumper they'd want around 23,500 with 400 miles on it.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let me tell you about a car I found. Besides a Civic Si, I’m also looking at the Subaru BRZ. I found a 2018 with 30 miles on it and the price was reduced to $24,000. Now this is the BRZ with the sport package, which would normally sell for $31,000+. About a month later I received an email saying the car price was reduced to $23,000. So I contacted the dealer and asked why it was going for this price. This was when I found out the mileage to be 30 miles and a kid traded his Audi for it, but his mom got mad and made him trade it back. This dealer had a 5 day return policy. Well he told me since it left the lot it couldn’t be resold as a new car.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tags, how much did they want for the car? I think if they fix the bumper they'd want around 23,500 with 400 miles on it.
That's exactly what they were asking.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
That's exactly what they were asking.
I don't think $23.5 is a terrible price for a "used" Si with 400 miles on it. I've looked at a lot of used 2017 Si's and they usually are at least 22K with 20-40K miles on them. There's simply no deals on these cars out there, it's amazing a two year old Si keeps almost all of it's value.
But, with it already having a dented bumper I don't blame you for giving up on it.

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I don't think $23.5 is a terrible price for a "used" Si with 400 miles on it. I've looked at a lot of used 2017 Si's and they usually are at least 22K with 20-40K miles on them. There's simply no deals on these cars out there, it's amazing a two year old Si keeps almost all of it's value.
But, with it already having a dented bumper I don't blame you for giving up on it.
I got my non-used with 5 miles for under that, though I think that may be more location-specific. Certainly the dealer's entitled to demand what they want, but I think the OP made the right call in investigating thoroughly and walking away.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Truecar locally is quoting me $23,600 or so for a new-new one. IMO the list prices for used ones that you see are wishful thinking.

Maybe it's the time of the year, but not a single Si that I have either gone to see in person or have been following online has sold in the last few weeks. Between nobody driving manuals anymore and the car now being three model years old, I don't think the demand is super high.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
slimy ass fucking no good stealership assholes just trying to pull some shady shit like they always do.

i wouldnt buy that shit. you dont knkw how it was treated during the period the person was driving it. pass on that dude.
You have the same disdain for dealers as I do

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going by the dealership at lunch today. I hear and appreciate all the warnings. If my test drive and visual inspection go well, I'm thinking of offering $1,000 under invoice, which they will probably refuse. But on the off chance they accept, that would be worth the 400 miles to me.
I'd ask for free stuff mats, oil changes, etc

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Truecar locally is quoting me $23,600 or so for a new-new one. IMO the list prices for used ones that you see are wishful thinking.

Maybe it's the time of the year, but not a single Si that I have either gone to see in person or have been following online has sold in the last few weeks. Between nobody driving manuals anymore and the car now being three model years old, I don't think the demand is super high.
The demand may not be super high but if you want a deal on a Civic Si it's going to be very hard to find.
Sponsored