jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
In this scenario you need to play it hard on the dealer by demanding a price at $21K, and if it is not satisfied or at least presented with a decent counter offer, then walking out. I've done this so many times, and it has worked 5/5 times I've ever bought a car. You are actually at a HUGE advantage here because if they don't sell the car to you, they'll have other people looking at the car and noticing that it has 400 miles on it and ask for a price discount as well because of it. The dealer should know this, so if they aren't incompetent fools then they will most likely satisfy your demands. If they don't though, it's their loss because i'm damn sure you could find another one at decent price. It always feels great when my foot is halfway out the door when i'm "walking out" and all of a sudden a manager runs from his office asking me to stay.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
It was a scam.... pulled on the original buyer. It’s called a drop-delivery, they allow you to take the car for a weekend and then tell you that the financing is f’d up or you must put an additional $X,000 down to keep the car.

Buyer probably happily handed the car back.

Point of reference, a few weeks ago, I paid $22,300 for a new 18 Si sedan with all weather floor mats, wheel locks and a trunk liner. It had 4 miles on it.
Interesting. I don't understand the scam, though. What does the dealership get out of it? Are they keeping the buyer's deposit? Otherwise it seems like they're losing a sale and getting a used car back. What am I missing?

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd just pass on the car, summer tires or not. Get another '19 Si sedan. Just my $ 0.02.

And for the people marking the snarky comments on low credit score individuals, that's just plain rude in my opinion. You have no idea what put them in that situation, and it doesn't automatically make them a bad person, or mean that they behave in some type of poor fashion behind the wheel or otherwise.
Well, credit score is used in lots of places as a predictor of general reliability, probably for decent reasons.

That said, I regret my initial comment about someone who "couldn't afford a $24,000 loan." Not sure what I was thinking there. Deleted.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Summer tires be dam'ed. There are literally hundreds of new Si's in Socal at around $23.5k (invoice). If that's too much, consider a CPO at around $21k to $22k. I wouldn't touch the one with 400 miles if it's more than $22.5k. The Si is already a fantastic bargain at invoice IMHO. Good luck on your search! And don't fall for the car alarm and extended warranty in the finance office.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you are questioning this now, you'll always have doubts. JMHO
Agreed
The issue of not knowing how someone else broke in the car, AND wondering what kind of joyride he went on when he learned he couldn't keep it, is definitely on my mind.
...and always will be if you buy the car
i wouldnt buy that shit. you dont knkw how it was treated during the period the person was driving it. pass on that dude.
+1 there are a bunch of Si sedans out there. Even if you cant find one w summer tires, its worth the peace of mind to buy one you KNOW hasnt been ragged on. Save up the 6-800$ and choose your own summer tires to put on it.

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting. I don't understand the scam, though. What does the dealership get out of it? Are they keeping the buyer's deposit? Otherwise it seems like they're losing a sale and getting a used car back. What am I missing?
The scam is they promise you say a 4.9% APR just to get you in the car and drive it off their lot. Later they will call you back and say "well we could not get financing at that percentage it is going to be 10% APR. Come back in and we will discuss..." Most ppl just bite the bullet and pay the higher interest rate. Here is an article on it...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-buyers-yo-yo-financing-how-avoid/2839544002/

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Having worked at 2 Honda dealerships in the past, my opinion is to not buy that car!
You are the buyer, you have to look out for yourself because no dealership is going to look out for you! Even if they discount it heavily for you, which they won't.....you have NO clue what happened to that car in the last 400 miles. I would tell them no dice and walk, then find another Si.

I'm taking delivery of my Si on Wednesday and I personally made sure the car has no more than the test track miles and sure enough, there is only 5 miles on the clock. Look out for you man! It's your happiness.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The scam that's been brought up has actually happened to folks here at Civicx. There's been a couple threads about it. It is real.

OP, I don't know if you ever made up your mind... but there's too many cars and too many other dealers to get jerked around by one.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Probably a thousand dollars. I'd be expecting to pay well under invoice for it. I got mine brand new for less than invoice as it is.

I'd consider it more like a CPO than new since it should have been titled. As such, CPOs should have more warranty while costing less than a new car.
Yeah. Got my ‘19 for $2k under sticker

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going by the dealership at lunch today. I hear and appreciate all the warnings. If my test drive and visual inspection go well, I'm thinking of offering $1,000 under invoice, which they will probably refuse. But on the off chance they accept, that would be worth the 400 miles to me.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The scam is they promise you say a 4.9% APR just to get you in the car and drive it off their lot. Later they will call you back and say "well we could not get financing at that percentage it is going to be 10% APR. Come back in and we will discuss..." Most ppl just bite the bullet and pay the higher interest rate. Here is an article on it...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-buyers-yo-yo-financing-how-avoid/2839544002/
Wow, that scam sure seems like a lot of work. And unless the dealership has some kind of leverage, risky. With so many dealers anal about test drives putting mileage on new cars, they're going to let people rack up hundreds of unsupervised miles and then take the car back?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going by the dealership at lunch today. I hear and appreciate all the warnings. If my test drive and visual inspection go well, I'm thinking of offering $1,000 under invoice, which they will probably refuse. But on the off chance they accept, that would be worth the 400 miles to me.
Did you go to trucar or a similar site and compare a new car's price in your area vs used w/400 miles? Make sure $1000 under invoice is right... it may be more. Remember, it's a used car for all intents and purposes. It was only not titled on a technicality.

I think making an offer that is very much to your benefit is fine. Expect them to immediately push back. If you hold firm and offer to walk, then maybe they'll cave. If not... I'd walk. I have a feeling these folks may try to grind you down.

When I got my car, I just sent an email out to competing dealers and had one not just accept, but beat my price. I got my summer tires w/them working up papers like it was on all seasons... then had a bunch if dealer installed add-ons that didn't get added to the price either. Good deals are to be had. Don't waste too much energy on a group if people that aren't going to let it happen with a pound of flesh of and a bunch of time/effort on your part.

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, that scam sure seems like a lot of work. And unless the dealership has some kind of leverage, risky. With so many dealers anal about test drives putting mileage on new cars, they're going to let people rack up hundreds of unsupervised miles and then take the car back?
Hey if it seals the deal on something that would never fly and nets them 1000's of dollars in additional APR you damn right they will go through the trouble. I will admit the YoYo deal generally happens with 3 - 7 days after purchase so mileage may very of course. See they tried to pull this shit on a friend of mine and he returned the car, gave them the middle finger, and walked away. For some reason some ppl feel obligated to honor their contract even if the terms change so it must work on some level or they would not do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you go to trucar or a similar site and compare a new car's price in your area vs used w/400 miles? Make sure $1000 under invoice is right... it may be more. Remember, it's a used car for all intents and purposes. It was only not titled on a technicality.

I think making an offer that is very much to your benefit is fine. Expect them to immediately push back. If you hold firm and offer to walk, then maybe they'll cave. If not... I'd walk. I have a feeling these folks may try to grind you down.

When I got my car, I just sent an email out to competing dealers and had one not just accept, but beat my price. I got my summer tires w/them working up papers like it was on all seasons... then had a bunch if dealer installed add-ons that didn't get added to the price either. Good deals are to be had. Don't waste too much energy on a group if people that aren't going to let it happen with a pound of flesh of and a bunch of time/effort on your part.
I'm at $23,600 with Truecar for a new one -- just over invoice. There's just a handful in the area with summer tires and probably no more coming, now that Honda has corrected its mistake there. (For 2019, summers are no longer a factory option.) And I like the color on this one. It's the only '19 sedan in its color with summer tires within 100 miles, as far as I can tell.

Truecar, Edmunds TMV, etc don't have data on used 2019 Si's yet. They offer basic rules of thumb for assessing value for used 2019 cars, starting with 10 cents a mile and then looking for wear and tear. I'm also reading from these sites that under 500 miles is often considered acceptable. So it may be that huge discounts here are not realistic.

Demand for the Si in Southern California is higher than many other places. Edmunds, for example, adds a $500 local adjustment to its TMV price. So there's that, too.

Anyway, they're not going to grind me down. I'll get my deal or I'll walk and wait. I'd rather pay $23,500 for a new pristine Si than, say, $23,100 or even $22,750 for one that somebody put a tank of gas through, thinking it was his.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey if it seals the deal on something that would never fly and nets them 1000's of dollars in additional APR you damn right they will go through the trouble. I will admit the YoYo deal generally happens with 3 - 7 days so mileage may very of course. See they tried to pull this shit on a friend of mine and he returned the car, gave them the middle finger, and walked away. For some reason some ppl feel obligated to honor their contract even if the terms change so it must work on some level or they would not do it.
Yeah, I guess people form an attachment with the car, too. Pretty sleazy.

In your experience, do the ones who give the car back abuse it on the way to the dealership?
Sponsored