Prep needed to install Type R shifter assembly?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. I'm getting ready to install my new Type R shifter assembly into my SI this weekend, and was wondering: do I need to do any prep work to the Type R assembly before installation? In particular, I recall that my SI's shifter assembly was heavily greased in certain spots. There does appear to be a little grease on the new Type R assembly, but less than what I saw on my SI assembly.

Any recommendations on this or any other prep items?
Sponsored

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag
I installed a car shifter assembly in my SI a couple weeks ago. I followed maddmatt's youtube diy. No prep work needed, just follow his diy and you'll be good. One thing to mention that he doesn't mention in his diy is to swap over the bushings on the base of the old shifter assembly to the new shifter assembly. No need for to worry about the grease but you can add some as it doesn't hurt anything.

Thank you to maddmatt for taking the time for making the diy!

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a type r shifter assembly in my basement. Planning on installing it after ordering the Acuity goodies. Might as well upgrade all the bushings, centering spring, and shift adapter, if you are tearing it all apart. That’s my thinking anyway.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Already did all that unfortunately. I am putting the Alta lockdown on as well though. I also bought a molten hot orb of pain (Type R shift knob) to complete the setup.

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Already did all that unfortunately. I am putting the Alta lockdown on as well though. I also bought a molten hot orb of pain (Type R shift knob) to complete the setup.
Not familiar with the Alta lockdown. What purpose does it serve? Overall, I’m super happy with my weighted knob. Big fan, with no complaints.

Honda Civic 10th gen Prep needed to install Type R shifter assembly? FD78D04E-6EC4-4A08-A7E4-AA10FA276FB1

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not familiar with the Alta lockdown. What purpose does it serve? Overall, I’m super happy with my weighted knob. Big fan, with no complaints.

FD78D04E-6EC4-4A08-A7E4-AA10FA276FB1.jpeg
It's supposed to finally eliminate the shifter crunch in even gears. The crunch is supposedly caused by the shifter cables moving in the groove that they rest in just in front of the shifter assembly. The lockdown holds them firmly in place.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haha sorry I was using google to search up how to install the type r shifter into the si but yes the assembly.
Besides basic hand tools, you'll want to buy a set of non-marring pry tools from Amazon. They're basically colored plastic pry bars used to help get the plastic trim off. You'll also need to buy a cheap set of hooked picks. These are used to remove the three wires that connect to the shifter trim piece with the Sport Mode and Brake Hold buttons.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I had no need for any sort of tool to disconnect any of the buttons. Definitely get a set of trim tools though. Acuity's guide for their shifter pretty much covers all the tools you'll need.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased a $4 set of pry tools to make sure i dont destroy my interior out of frustration lol also just used the acuity short shifter vid to remove the center console.

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
I purchased a $4 set of pry tools to make sure i dont destroy my interior out of frustration lol also just used the acuity short shifter vid to remove the center console.
I had no need for any sort of tool to disconnect any of the buttons. Definitely get a set of trim tools though. Acuity's guide for their shifter pretty much covers all the tools you'll need.
Thank you! Gonna install my type R shifter this weekend then!
Sponsored