Pre Break In Turbo Limiter

kvk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si 10th gen
Country flag
Are there any sort of pre-break-in limiters in Si?

Si is my first manual transmission and turbo charged car. First 600 miles or so my stop to start felt very under powered. Acceleration on 1st was not smooth. Engine was making loud noises but I did not feel as much power as my significantly less powerful automatic car used to make on stop to start. All other car were zipping past me or on my tail from the stop light. But now that car has close to 700 miles, it feels very different. Power delivery is smooth from stop to start in both 1st and 2nd gear. 1st gear feels better, engine noise is different. More of a whistling sound. I've been told that's the turbo.

So I was wondering if I'm improving or are there any sort of limiters that caps turbo or torque in any way.

Thanks!
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport mode gives you a bit more OOMPH.
Since you're a new driver, remember 1st gear is only to pull out. You want to shift out of first after 3k.
2nd and 3rd gear is where you'll pick up mph.

OP
OP

kvk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si 10th gen
Country flag
Since you're a new driver, remember 1st gear is only to pull out. You want to shift out of first after 3k.
How do you do that without risking car behind you rear ending you. Is the trick a quick 1-2 shift, or something else? I feel losing speed while shifting to 2. What I've been doing is to accelerate and make some distance from the car behind me before shifting to 2nd.

2ndCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic si
Country flag
How do you do that without risking car behind you rear ending you. Is the trick a quick 1-2 shift, or something else? I feel losing speed while shifting to 2. What I've been doing is to accelerate and make some distance from the car behind me before shifting to 2nd.
If someone is tailing you that hard just go nice and slow and wait for them to angrily zip around the side of you.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
First manual - you will improve exponentially over time. Just keep at it. If someone is riding your ass - they are the problem, wave them around (using a single finger when appropriate!).

With learning to drive stick - it's going to be a herky jerky mess for a while. You're going to stall out in parking lots. You're going to find yourself in the wrong gear from time to time. Be glad the car has a clutch delay valve and rev hang, as these are going to help lower the difficulty level. Once you get better at driving stick, you'll wish the car didn't have a clutch delay valve and rev hang. Rev hang can be tuned out, the clutch delay valve can be physically removed, but most of us just learn to live with it.

The most important advice I can give you is to avoid standing on it in gears 4 5 and 6, especially 5 and 6. You will get much better results in a lower gear. Watch where the rev's fall to between shifts, try to time your letting out of the clutch to catch the rev's where they would normally be - this is rev matching and it is the key to driving a manual transmission smoothly. I could try to go on with detail about driving manual, but really you just need to keep at it. Read this for some useful information:

https://www.rangeracceleration.com/Improved_Shifting.html

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You're driving an Si, it can move. Think of first gear as a hot potato. Snatch it and throw it...
into 2nd gear.

Once you get into second gear, and you let your clutch out, the RPM should be between 2500 and 3000. That is where your torque band is. Don't be afraid to push 2nd and third gear. Pedal to the metal. Though if you do so in a sweeping motion, you won't have time to get it all the way to the floor. Shift after 4500 RPM in normal driving, by then you'll be at the speed limit and you can choose a cruising gear to travel at.

OP
OP

kvk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si 10th gen
Country flag
Thanks everyone! I'll try out the suggestions.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Sport mode gives you a bit more OOMPH.
2nd and 3rd gear is where you'll pick up mph.
You shouldnt speak in absolutes.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
When I first got mine it felt the same way. A lot of it came from bogging my take offs. Once I got used to the bite point (this clutch felt different than any other car I've owned) it was night and day difference.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You're driving an Si, it can move. Think of first gear as a hot potato. Snatch it and throw it...
into 2nd gear.

Once you get into second gear, and you let your clutch out, the RPM should be between 2500 and 3000. That is where your torque band is. Don't be afraid to push 2nd and third gear. Pedal to the metal. Though if you do so in a sweeping motion, you won't have time to get it all the way to the floor. Shift after 4500 RPM in normal driving, by then you'll be at the speed limit and you can choose a cruising gear to travel at.
Shifting after 4500 rpm is not normal driving. That’s “everybody look at me” driving. An automatic transmission doesn't shift at 4500 rpm unless your foot is damn near to the floor. Shift around 3500 for normal driving. Reduce time between 1st to 2nd gear shifting by slipping the clutch some. It can be done smoothly, just takes some practice.

I think the engagement point for this clutch is pretty hard to feel. It leads to some inconsistencies for me. There’s a big difference in how it grabs when it’s cold and warm, also very different when the A/C is blasting after starting it up on a hot day.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Pre-break in turbo limiter... yes, of course! This is for warranty reasons so people don’t blow up their engines the first day of driving.... ummm, ya, no such thing, although it would be a tremendous idea. I don’t get why folks beat the shit out of their car the first right or left turn out of the dealership....on that note, 99.9999% of dealers put 87 in the tank, so ya, the power gets better.

Reactions: kvk
OP
OP

kvk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si 10th gen
Country flag
on that note, 99.9999% of dealers put 87 in the tank, so ya, the power gets better.
Oh that might be it. I did feel improvement after I first filled up the car

Reduce time between 1st to 2nd gear shifting by slipping the clutch some.
By not waiting for the revs to drop for 2nd? Or did you mean something else.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You're right, clutch engagement is inconsistent. A lot of that is the too soft rear motor mount. A stiffer RMM will really improve the clutch engagement consistency.
Sponsored