jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I am considering my first Honda. Both choices are 2017 Civic Hatchbacks. One is an LX with an overpriced dealer add on "bodykit" and the other is a standard EX. I currently have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost. I know this car doesn't have the same HP but look forward to more mpg as I get 28 average now. Both cars would be 3 yr leases so no mods would be done since I may or may not give the car back.

Questions ...

1) What is the REAL mpg I can expect both city and highway from current owners?

2) I'm really torn on the two models. Do those with the EX feel the features are worth it? How is CarPlay with Waze and Apple Maps?

3) Are the speakers the same between both models giving me the same quality? Does the upgraded head in the EX give me better audio?

4) Would the EX or LX hold better value at the end of the lease term?

5) I've heard by googling forums that a lot of Civic lease owners sell to CarMax at the end of the lease and end up getting more than is owed on the car and turn a profit so they have a down payment for the next. Anyone experienced this?

6) Your thoughts on the two models? I am down the middle on both cars. Love the outside of the LX but like the EX features. Pictures of the LX with the "bodykit" at the link below. Note the price at the link is BEFORE the dealer add ons. The EX is about 1,500 less than the LX but the lease payment is about 12 higher on the EX.

http://www.battisonhonda.com/vehicle-details/new-2017-honda-civic-lx-oklahoma-city-ok-id-16542044

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You can always do the bodykit on the EX yourself - there's almost no EX availability of the hatch, its the rarest trim on dealer lots for a reason, as people buy them off as they come in.

No Waze with Carplay - only Apple Maps. Apple locks out other things from working. Pity. I'd rather use Carplay if it had Waze - as it is I mount my phone for Waze, and disable it in Carplay so it doesn't lock my phone screen so just Bluetooth audio for handsfree.

Rondeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport touring
It's by far easier adding the body kit to the EX, than adding the interior EX features to the LX.

Unless you enjoy/are fine with a bare bones interior feature-wise, You may be better off with the EX. Especially if you may end up keeping the car long term (post-lease).

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
If you can swing the upgrade, go with the EX-L, the cloth interior on the EX/LX are trash.

Mileage I do a mix of probably 80% rural roads (45-55mph) and 20% cityish driving and I get 41-42 every tank.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can always do the bodykit on the EX yourself - there's almost no EX availability of the hatch, its the rarest trim on dealer lots for a reason, as people buy them off as they come in.

No Waze with Carplay - only Apple Maps. Apple locks out other things from working. Pity. I'd rather use Carplay if it had Waze - as it is I mount my phone for Waze, and disable it in Carplay so it doesn't lock my phone screen so just Bluetooth audio for handsfree.
How much would the side skirts, front chin, and rear spoiler replacement run for parts and installation somewhere you think? I'm assuming it's less than the $6,000 the dealer is putting on the sticker for it. Also, can I even do that on leased vehicle if I turn it in after the term is up? I'm assuming they want the car back the way it was right?

As for Apple Maps with CarPlay how does that perform and look? I use both Waze and Apple Maps but tend to prefer Waze over Apple Maps. Is there any other advantage outside of CarPlay to having that larger touchscreen interface other than CarPlay and HD radio?

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's by far easier adding the body kit to the EX, than adding the interior EX features to the LX.

Unless you enjoy/are fine with a bare bones interior feature-wise, You may be better off with the EX. Especially if you may end up keeping the car long term (post-lease).
Most likely will turn the car in at the end of the lease term. I tend to trade every 3 or so years once I get bored and want something new. That's why I'm trying to figure out between the two what one would hold the value better so if I sell the car instead of turning it in might be able to make a little bit of money off of by doing so for the down on the next one.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
EX will probably feel nicer with the amenities, IMHO. And as far as mileage, I have an EX-T sedan and get easily mid-30s practically all the time. And easily over 40 if I'm doing mostly highway driving. I drive a mix of easy/spirited driving too.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
How much would the side skirts, front chin, and rear spoiler replacement run for parts and installation somewhere you think?
Parts are less than 2k, even if you say its 1k to install them (though I'd look to DIY the install)... no way its going to come to 6k though.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does the EX have a true blindspot monitor with the light on both mirrors if a car is next to you or nearby? I recall someone telling me it's blind spont system was just a camera for the right mirror?

Rondeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport touring
Does the EX have a true blindspot monitor with the light on both mirrors if a car is next to you or nearby? I recall someone telling me it's blind spont system was just a camera for the right mirror?
Yep just a camera system for the passenger side mirror/blind spot only. There are no lights/notifications on the mirrors themselves on any model.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification.

Most of the other EX features seem to be pretty self explanatory for the most part.

The EX says it has a USB Audio Interface that the LX doesn't have. Does this simply mean 1-2 more USB ports or does the LX have none?

Quality of the sound system (speakers) the same between EX and LX?

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Thanks for the clarification.

Most of the other EX features seem to be pretty self explanatory for the most part.

The EX says it has a USB Audio Interface that the LX doesn't have. Does this simply mean 1-2 more USB ports or does the LX have none?

Quality of the sound system (speakers) the same between EX and LX?
I find the speaker system to be fine, the sound quality of FM radio is crap on the LX radio, I haven't listened to a EX radio to compare. The LX radio constantly sounds like you're on the fringe of coverage regardless of how strong the signal.

LX has 1 USB port but doesn't support carplay/android auto. I have my own 12v adapter though because the stock one charges so slow.

I'm planning on upgrading the head unit in mine when a good solution for integration comes out.

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find the speaker system to be fine, the sound quality of FM radio is crap on the LX radio, I haven't listened to a EX radio to compare. The LX radio constantly sounds like you're on the fringe of coverage regardless of how strong the signal.

LX has 1 USB port but doesn't support carplay/android auto. I have my own 12v adapter though because the stock one charges so slow.

I'm planning on upgrading the head unit in mine when a good solution for integration comes out.
Thanks! Lots of good info so far from everyone. It's down to Honda Civic HB, Mercedes C300 (Former Loaner, Now Lease Eligible), and Toyota C-HR. The C-HR has old Scion tech in the head unit though and that's a huge turn-off to me. No Apple Carplay or Android Auto support either from what I've read.