kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey all, I have been getting an odd sound (along with trans problems...) since I got the car. My dealership's rep is coming out tomorrow to check it out but I wanted to see if the issue is being had with other's CTRs.

Most noticeable in 1-3rd gears and only upon engine braking, I notice a jingling sound almost like a bell ringing. It is only noticeable with the windows down and cannot be heard with them up - but it is very present when down. Annoyingly loud when next to a jersey wall or in a tunnel. I suspect it to be BOV related. No performance issues.... but it doesn't sound... tough. Sounds similar to an old school bike bell with the lever you push but more muffled.

Another fun fact. My transmission whines in 2-6th gears on acceleration... My tech tells me it may need to be replaced. I have <700 miles and have been breaking the car in properly with no WOT, keeping it under 5500 RPM and no hard braking. It is so loud that it can be heard over my radio at 20.... Again, the Honda rep is coming out tomorrow to check it out.

I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing these issues or might have an idea of what is going on. Thanks in advance for any insight.

KP

*EDIT* The trans whine started at roughly 550 miles
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
The jingling sound is likely the helical LSD when it is open (it opens whenever there is no throttle). I hear it too when the windows are down, especially in the city where the sound can bounce off of buildings. I assume it is normal. It was discussed in another thread and seems that a lot of people hear it although many describe it differently. Sorry to hear about the trans.

DevilDogDoc

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si Aegean Blue
Country flag
Different car in my case but a Jeep I had whined from day one and the dealer didn't care. At 24000 miles the whine got worse then stopped after it wore a hole in the case and dumped all the oil out. I got a new one trans then!

OP
OP
kpohanka

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So quick update. They are replacing my transmission. Whats more is that parts are actually available. Go Honda!

Blue Ridge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Porsche Boxster, 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan, 2015 Harley Davidson Iron 883
Thats great to hear! I'm surprised they have the parts available already. Did they say how long it'll take?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
So quick update. They are replacing my transmission. Whats more is that parts are actually available. Go Honda!
Amazing on both accounts.

Any chance you can have the old one?!! Someone with a 2.0T Accord would probably really like to have that LSD!

OP
OP
kpohanka

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Amazing on both accounts.

Any chance you can have the old one?!! Someone with a 2.0T Accord would probably really like to have that LSD!
Unfortunately Honda will want the old one back for analysis. 1 week for me, part coming out of CA and I am in VA. Probably another 2-3 days for installation. I was very impressed with the way this was handled. Went for a test drive with the Honda rep and he was thinking it might be a normal condition for the transmission. He then spoke with techline and my shop foreman, finally coming to the conclusion that the whine was not normal and that they would replace the trans.

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
Unfortunately Honda will want the old one back for analysis. 1 week for me, part coming out of CA and I am in VA. Probably another 2-3 days for installation. I was very impressed with the way this was handled. Went for a test drive with the Honda rep and he was thinking it might be a normal condition for the transmission. He then spoke with techline and my shop foreman, finally coming to the conclusion that the whine was not normal and that they would replace the trans.
Thats good to know that they're taking care of you. Im about to take mine in to get my rattle checked out. Mine rattle between 3k to 3500 rpm in any gear. Hope its not a transmission :(.

OP
OP
kpohanka

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thats good to know that they're taking care of you. Im about to take mine in to get my rattle checked out. Mine rattle between 3k to 3500 rpm in any gear. Hope its not a transmission :(.
My trans issue was completely different. I also have a rattle but it seems to be a common issue, just a normal feat
Def wont be the same .. it will be better without a whine..
Preach

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
Just got my type r back from dealer and the noise I was hearing was my passenger side
My trans issue was completely different. I also have a rattle but it seems to be a common issue, just a normal feat

Preach
They actually figured out what it was. My front lip and side skirt was missing a clip so it was loose and it would make a rattle noise. But after I got my bad back the car is prefect no more rattles at all. So if yours rattle trying moving the side skirts and see if they more and the front lip.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
yikes goodluck man, i was given the option to replace mine but opted out because it isnt an updated trans. not worth the hassle for me to go through all the work for the same problem. i hope in your case you will see an improvement!

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
yikes goodluck man, i was given the option to replace mine but opted out because it isnt an updated trans. not worth the hassle for me to go through all the work for the same problem. i hope in your case you will see an improvement!
If you have the grinding that seems to be common with these cars then probably not likely a new (same version) transmission will be the cure. If you have gear whine however it's likely an assembly issue that will get worse over time.
Sponsored