Possible cvt issue?

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
If I don't wait until the revs come down after shifting it into drive my car will lurch forward. Sometimes more aggressively sometimes not so much.
That would be pretty normal if the revs are up it will lurch forward.
Sponsored

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don't have so much of a 'shudder', or 'jerk', but what almost feels like a subtle 'wobble' when cruise control is on at highway speeds. I'm under the assumption that it's the slight variationn from the CVT under different grades of road to keep the speed consistent, but something I'm keeping an eye on. May also try the battery terminal disconnect.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I don't have so much of a 'shudder', or 'jerk', but what almost feels like a subtle 'wobble' when cruise control is on at highway speeds. I'm under the assumption that it's the slight variationn from the CVT under different grades of road to keep the speed consistent, but something I'm keeping an eye on. May also try the battery terminal disconnect.
There are more than one issue being described here. Yours sounds like the surging issue that is subject of another thread.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So lets just say that the jerkiness, bucking, and surging are all a normal part of how the transmission operates.
(because some people believe it is) I don't know the severity of other peoples cars but the way mine bucks and jerks could be
very dramatic at times. I'm at the point where if it is truly the way it operates then my mistake for purchasing this vehicle. i wish
i asked to take it for an extended drive but also my mistake for not. People say how smooth this transmission is, me on the
other hand thinks this is a horrible transmission. This is why I've come to believe that A. My transmission has a problem
B. If everyones transmission feels like mine how can you think this is normal? Im not looking for pity, i'm just looking for my
car to be "smooth" and if this is how it is what a shame. I'm tired of bringing it to the dealer so they can tell me its normal
because quite frankly i think they have no idea what there talking about in certain aspects. So ill just be driving the car normally
and if anything major come up with the transmission is when ill bring it back. If not it is what it is. If your car has none of these problems i'm so very happy for you and hope you enjoy your car.

I hope everyone understands that i'm not trying to bash the civic and Honda.
This car is such a beautiful car inside and out.
I truly wanted to love this car and potentially keep it for many years.
This three years cant go fast enough until i can purchase another vehicle.
Hopefully ill be more wise during my assessment and drive of the vehicle.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
my touring is 100% smooth. if anyone lives in northeast Ohio I would let you try and compare to your Civic.

j_illang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
So, I kept an eye on RPMs when I've put the car into reverse, brake released, backed out, foot on brake for one second, and then shift to drive. About half the time, there is a one second pause and then it jumps forward. The RPMs during this entire process is just under 1,000. Is this normal? Doesn't feel right.
I wouldn't say mine is 100% smooth. There are times where I can feel a small jolt, like downshifting when I am slowing down. But I don't think it is significant enough to be alarmed yet.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So lets just say that the jerkiness, bucking, and surging are all a normal part of how the transmission operates.
(because some people believe it is) I don't know the severity of other peoples cars but the way mine bucks and jerks could be
very dramatic at times. I'm at the point where if it is truly the way it operates then my mistake for purchasing this vehicle. i wish
i asked to take it for an extended drive but also my mistake for not. People say how smooth this transmission is, me on the
other hand thinks this is a horrible transmission. This is why I've come to believe that A. My transmission has a problem
B. If everyones transmission feels like mine how can you think this is normal? Im not looking for pity, i'm just looking for my
car to be "smooth" and if this is how it is what a shame. I'm tired of bringing it to the dealer so they can tell me its normal
because quite frankly i think they have no idea what there talking about in certain aspects. So ill just be driving the car normally
and if anything major come up with the transmission is when ill bring it back. If not it is what it is. If your car has none of these problems i'm so very happy for you and hope you enjoy your car.

It is a downer when your new car has an issue, I get that, and I will tell you what you describe is not the normal for this car. But also realize that we have all bought a first model year vehicle that is basically new from the ground up so give Honda a shot at fixing it, they are learning just like you are and when they get a couple of transmissions in their hands to sample and inspect they will figure out the issue. You have bought an incredible car don't throw your hands up so soon. Honda does not have fixes sitting and waiting to be applied right now but they are working on correcting the issues that are showing up.

The manufactures can test these cars until the dogs come home but the real test is always when the consumers get their hands on them as now you have tens of thousands of different driving styles that the manufacture will never be able to duplicate on their test tracks and limited road testing with their in house test drivers, they do the best that they can but you know as well as I do that people will do things with their cars the manufacture would never have thought of.

Where was your cars final assembly? Mine was in Greensburg, Indiana.

Maybe we on the forums can trace it for our own information to a final assembly site.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you yet taken the dealer service manager for back to back drives, same route, in yours and a new car off the lot to demonstrate for yourself, and the dealer, what is the different/same between the transmission behavior of your car and another one? Or tried a different dealer? Getting us to believe you have a problem buys you nothing. You need to get them to believe. IIRC, I've said it before: you have WAY MORE seat time in a '16 Civic than any of them do.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where was your cars final assembly? Mine was in Greensburg, Indiana.

Maybe we on the forums can trace it for our own information to a final assembly site.
Honda says all '16 Civic CVTs are assembled in the same plant in Russells Point, OH.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda says all '16 Civic CVTs are assembled in the same plant in Russells Point, OH.
They still have to be sent to the final assembly site and I would think the software would also be downloaded there as well. Maybe one of the final assembly sites has a corrupt download file or maybe during the final assembly something is out of spec at one of the plants. If something is out of spec and it at the transmission assembly site then problems transmissions should be coming from each of the final assembly sites and that would narrow it down to the CVT assembly plant site in Ohio. If only one final assembly site is producing cars with the problem then you can narrow it down to that final assembly site.

It is not unheard of for something to go out of spec at an assembly plant and not be caught until cars hit the dealer lots and customers take delivery.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is not unheard of for something to go out of spec at an assembly plant and not be caught until cars hit the dealer lots and customers take delivery.
Sure, there are probably some scenarios that are final assembly site specific for a transmission problem when the transmission is built elsewhere. Not many of them, but…

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yeah, this is what I feel like I'm experiencing. Wobble is a really good word. And to such a mild degree that any variation whatsoever on the road surface gets me confused about whether I'm just hallucinating it. I'd write it off to definite paranoia, but my mileage seems to be getting worse tank after tank, all other things being equal. It's still really good, but I'm not even touching the 34/35 I got out of my first two tanks (in which I was constantly using remote start, and flooring it almost every chance I got). I dunno, probably still paranoia. And I'd hardly call my memory about MPG super reliable. Definitely not anything I would take seriously if I were the dealer.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah, this is what I feel like I'm experiencing. Wobble is a really good word. And to such a mild degree that any variation whatsoever on the road surface gets me confused about whether I'm just hallucinating it. I'd write it off to definite paranoia, but my mileage seems to be getting worse tank after tank, all other things being equal. It's still really good, but I'm not even touching the 34/35 I got out of my first two tanks (in which I was constantly using remote start, and flooring it almost every chance I got). I dunno, probably still paranoia. And I'd hardly call my memory about MPG super reliable. Definitely not anything I would take seriously if I were the dealer.
This thread talks about the CVT surging issues that some people have experienced. I also noticed that the tach seems to just ... bounce. Even on seemingly level ground, and even when idling. Removing the negative battery terminal, leaving it off for about 10 minutes, and reconnecting, seems to be the ECU equivalent of 'rebooting', and did the trick to resolve this for me. Not sure if it will come back or not, but if it does, plan to take it to the dealer. May want to try that and see how it works for you.

matt007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura Integra

If I were Honda, I would just buy your Civic back and give you a brand new Civic as replacement, because you are more than reasonable despite having an "apparent" CVT issue (no, its NOT normal from your descriptions).

Look, this guy's CVT will be replaced by Honda, if they can't give you a new car, maybe at least they should give you a new CVT!

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-surging-up-and-down.1269/page-8#post-26822

BAD NEWS... I just left my honda delaer after a second battery cable reset/reboot. Honda Techline just instructed the dealer to order a new transmission for the car. They apparently got all the approvals and I am told a new transmission will show within the next 5 days and that they will swap it out when it does. I am still trying to figure out how to feel about all this.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried in the parking lot to replicate the jerking and shuddering with no success besides the normal one or two jerks that I always feel when coming to a stop.

I don't really feel like bringing the car back and forth to the dealer if I can't exactly replicate what I'm feeling. The few times a week it does happens completely ruins the whole driving experience. I'll probably bring it back and have the mechanic drive with me in the car. But if he tells me it's still normal or doesn't feel anything I'm just going to let it go.

The car even jerks when I shift into drive so i dont know, never had that in any other cars I've drivin.
Sponsored