Possible cvt issue?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
They do like to set up the flaming hoops to see how many we will jump through, don't they?
Sponsored

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Not to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd ask here-- I am noticing that when I am in reverse, and put it in drive, there is a delay and it lurches forward after it has done shifting. So, the order of the events is foot on break, reverse, release break, break and full stop, and then place car in drive. Is this normal? It does not feel normal.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd ask here-- I am noticing that when I am in reverse, and put it in drive, there is a delay and it lurches forward after it has done shifting. So, the order of the events is foot on break, reverse, release break, break and full stop, and then place car in drive. Is this normal? It does not feel normal.
If I don't wait until the revs come down after shifting it into drive my car will lurch forward. Sometimes more aggressively sometimes not so much.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If I don't wait until the revs come down after shifting it into drive my car will lurch forward. Sometimes more aggressively sometimes not so much.
I'll definitely pay attention. I am at a complete stop when I switch to drive, but I'll look at the RPMs. Also, I feel like I am experiencing some of the other issues in this thread, and the turbo feels a lot less punchy then it did on the test drive.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll definitely pay attention. I am at a complete stop when I switch to drive, but I'll look at the RPMs. Also, I feel like I am experiencing some of the other issues in this thread, and the turbo feels a lot less punchy then it did on the test drive.
I test drove another civic and that one revs faster and the revs went up smoother. I did feel that it was a little jerky at low speeds like mine. I had the dealer pull the battery cables off for like 10 minutes to reset everything and my car does rev quicker now and is somewhat smoother. But still jerky at low speeds and and the rpms surge up when put in reverse or drive. (I'm also completely stopped and still get the jump or lurch toward)

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'll give that a try. Hopefully that does the trick. I am terrified something is fundamentally wrong with the transmission and could go kaput. I am seriously thinking a Hondacares warranty now.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll give that a try. Hopefully that does the trick. I am terrified something is fundamentally wrong with the transmission and could go kaput. I am seriously thinking a Hondacares warranty now.
Yea I'm nervous to be hard on the car because I'm afraid the transmission isn't strong enough to handle it.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Okay but see that's exactly what the car should do. Torque converters engage at a certain RPM. If you shift in to gear above that threshold, it's going to engage and as a result produce movement. As I've said before, I think a lot of what your experiencing is just normal operation of a CVT.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay but see that's exactly what the car should do. Torque converters engage at a certain RPM. If you shift in to gear above that threshold, it's going to engage and as a result produce movement. As I've said before, I think a lot of what your experiencing is just normal operation of a CVT.
It may be. With my old 4 speed auto I had I would shift into drive and the rpms would just go right down. It wouldn't surge up at all. So it could just be how this transmission is. For the low speed jerkiness I felt it in the other touring I drove so that may also be the nature of the transmission. But I did feel a noticeable diffrence in power delivery from mine. Since they have done the battery reset which I guess reset the transmission it been a lot smoother when reviving it.

There are some moments when the car is still pretty jerky but I'm getting somewhat use to it now.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So, I kept an eye on RPMs when I've put the car into reverse, brake released, backed out, foot on brake for one second, and then shift to drive. About half the time, there is a one second pause and then it jumps forward. The RPMs during this entire process is just under 1,000. Is this normal? Doesn't feel right.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
was it after first (cold) startup on a colder day?

i havent had any issues but on our 07 Jeep with CVT, it has behavior like that until it is warmed up a little.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's been between 30 and 50 degrees here in jersey. I haven't notice if it's worse when it's colder out. I'll have to pay more attention but last night from park I shift into drive waited until the rpms surged up and then the rpms drop with a very noticeable jerk then I let off the gas to drive.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
was it after first (cold) startup on a colder day?

i havent had any issues but on our 07 Jeep with CVT, it has behavior like that until it is warmed up a little.
Nope, it happens about half of the time, throughout the day. I'm in Arizona where it has been 80-85 degrees this week

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
I went to dealer and after a 10 minute test drive they determined they could not see a problem. They told me that I just need to get used to the CVT transmission. they told me not to flooor it from a coldstart, which I do not do anyway. I explained the problem is intermittent but what can you do. I still find it very temperamental when shifting but I guess it's a wait-and-see game at this point. good luck to the of you all. Thank you

After a less than 5 minutes test drive the dealer report my civic to be operating as expected. Perhaps I just need to used to the CVT time will tell. Best of luck to all!
Technically it is not shifting but it is mimicking shifting. CVT transmissions take getting use to. This may be nothing more than a software update at some point. My 2014 Ram 1500 has the V-6 with the 8 speed transmission and they were very hard down shifting into first gear when you came to a stop. Chrysler came out with a software update that cured that on the V-6 8 speed transmissions. The first CVT's would just bring up the RPM's until you reached your speed and then you let off the throttle some and the RPM's would drop down. People hated them and that has led us to these current CVT's that try to mimic shifting like a regular automatic transmission.
Sponsored