Possible CVT Issue (Delayed Engagement)

TheDeadlyFlamingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So I've been noticing this happening more frequently, but when I turn the car on and shift from Park to Drive, sometimes the transmission will take a couple seconds to actually engage in drive. It happens every so often but I want to catch this before it possibly turns into something worse. Has anybody else had this problem? I am still under warranty, so any recommendations?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My CVT has done this since day 1 when starting the car in the morning. Normal.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Upon first start, the "oil" fluids are very viscous (especially when just a little colder). If you are starting up and immediately attempting to shift there may just very well be a delay (especially since the transmission is yet cold).
Just a few minutes of warm up upon starting will reduce the friction points; which is probably what you experience.

More than likely, the TFT (Trans Fluid Sensor) is telling the TCU (Trans Control Unit) to modify the line pressure and solenoid pressures (while the fluid is still cold and at its highest viscosity) and slowing the regulation of the torque converter lock-up clutch.

:)

OP
OP
TheDeadlyFlamingo

TheDeadlyFlamingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Upon first start, the "oil" fluids are very viscous (especially when just a little colder). If you are starting up and immediately attempting to shift there may just very well be a delay (especially since the transmission is yet cold).
Just a few minutes of warm up upon starting will reduce the friction points; which is probably what you experience.

More than likely, the TFT (Trans Fluid Sensor) is telling the TCU (Trans Control Unit) to modify the line pressure and solenoid pressures (while the fluid is still cold and at its highest viscosity) and slowing the regulation of the torque converter lock-up clutch.

:)
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't entirely sure if it was an issue or not but it doesn't seem to be. It gets really hot during summers here in Vegas so if it's still happening maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it looked at then. At what point should I be worried if it gets any worse?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't entirely sure if it was an issue or not but it doesn't seem to be. It gets really hot during summers here in Vegas so if it's still happening maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it looked at then. At what point should I be worried if it gets any worse?
I suppose the best way is just "butt in seat" (excuse the crassness of that).
If while you are driving you receive harsher feedback from the CVT shifting - you may have a problem. You shouldn't be able to discern the difference in gears with these 10th Gen CVTs.

Also:
If you are tuned? or driving a bit more spirited (given your high changes in temperatures from season to season) - I would recommend servicing your CVT fluid sooner; as opposed to sticking to a recommended service.
Does that help?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I notice a slight delay going from Reverse to Drive, and that's when it's warm. I just wait a second or two before taking off.

OP
OP
TheDeadlyFlamingo

TheDeadlyFlamingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I suppose the best way is just "butt in seat" (excuse the crassness of that).
If while you are driving you receive harsher feedback from the CVT shifting - you may have a problem. You shouldn't be able to discern the difference in gears with these 10th Gen CVTs.

Also:
If you are tuned? or driving a bit more spirited (given your high changes in temperatures from season to season) - I would recommend servicing your CVT fluid sooner; as opposed to sticking to a recommended service.
Does that help?
Got it, I'll just keep an eye on it for now. And no, I'm not tuned. I drive highway at least an hour every day between work and getting an average MPG on my dash of 40 so I rarely drive it hard. I've been thinking of doing a drain and fill for the transmission fluid every 4th or so oil change. I'm almost at 28K miles and probably will do a drain and fill next change.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just chiming in to agree with the others. I experience the same thing and have since I bought the car in January. I can't quote any specs from the CVT; but it seems like the (clutch pack, reverser gear, electronic thingy, whatever) that actually causes the car to move in reverse takes a little longer to let go and switch to forward motion position.

The general stuff that I have read is that it is normal. But folks should adjust their driving habits when reversing out of a driveway or parking space to account for this delay. Your 'get up and go' may take a little longer to engage.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah i actually made a thread about this before, its really annoying but its the normal function of the CVT. Warming up the car or giving it a second for it to engage will mitigate these issues. But ill admit, its annoying when im in a hurry to leave and the car sort of jerks when I put it into D and take off too fast.

OP
OP
TheDeadlyFlamingo

TheDeadlyFlamingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. This didn't bother me too much but wasn't sure if it was an issue or not but sounds normal. Out of warranty at 36k miles so if anything happens I definitely want to take advantage of that.

Dkc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hi all, reading others with what looks to be similar issues. Just recently noticed that my car is acting differently. 2016 civic EX. It doesn’t happen every time, but when I accelerate from a stop sign, I get a hesitation. I first noticed it actually when I was getting ready to pull out of my driveway. I normally use my remote start in the morning so that the car is running a few min before I get in it. I put it in gear , step on gas and get a hesitation. Service manager at Honda seams to think the transmission is trying to catch up. I can understand when at a stop sing when driving in a hurry, but it happens from a standstill in my driveway also. Car has 19700 miles. Of course warranty expired last month. If it’s a transmission issue, I would hope it falls under lemon law. It’s dangerous if pulling into traffic

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, reading others with what looks to be similar issues. Just recently noticed that my car is acting differently. 2016 civic EX. It doesn’t happen every time, but when I accelerate from a stop sign, I get a hesitation. I first noticed it actually when I was getting ready to pull out of my driveway. I normally use my remote start in the morning so that the car is running a few min before I get in it. I put it in gear , step on gas and get a hesitation. Service manager at Honda seams to think the transmission is trying to catch up. I can understand when at a stop sing when driving in a hurry, but it happens from a standstill in my driveway also. Car has 19700 miles. Of course warranty expired last month. If it’s a transmission issue, I would hope it falls under lemon law. It’s dangerous if pulling into traffic
How could your warranty expire at 19700? You've got 5 years / 60,000 miles.

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Mine does the same, best solution is to just start and maybe wait an upwards of 30 seconds. For what it's worth though my lady's 2015 ex (not CVT) does the same and I just chalked it up to being a Honda automatic thing :dunno:

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
This is why my daily commute car is still the 2006 Civic lol instant engagement automatic.
Sponsored