Possible blown head gasket

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2017 Accord EX-L, 1984 Toyota Pickup
Well, I pulled my Si out of the garage yesterday afternoon and noticed a puddle. Got out and inspected it and it didn’t smell sweet (it’s that time of year though and my sinuses are messed up) so I went and got kids from daycare. By the time I got home, car smelled hot and smelled like coolant inside. I can see on the back side of the engine where it’s puddled up, but can’t find the source through the web of hoses and wires. Where it’s at suggests a blown head gasket. Oil is milky and murky. Called Honda where I bought it and they were super nice and offered to send a tow truck to get it. I told them I work next door to the lot there and that I will add some coolant in the morning and drive it to them because I don’t have another car to drive to work if they tow it. He said they’d get me a loaner and check it out.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pics of the fluid.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible blown head gasket 84300DEC-7D13-4619-AC09-9C89AF81BB22

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible blown head gasket 73C7E528-06BE-4067-A13F-381A1326132A

Hondatec5131

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan
Yeah buddy sorry to hear that, it is definitely coolant. Now usually the head gasket would be an internal leak not external. So hopefully it’s something simple. Let me know how it turns out for you.

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would check all coolant hoses first. Have you scrapped on anything recently? Even though I doubt this would be an issue, I recommend removing what you wrote in regards to your shift. You never know when Honda or your dealership look at these forums and blacklist your car because of a poor shift. Avoid the hassle! That shift had nothing to do with this issue, so don't worry about that.

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
If You have a coolant leak then don't drive the car, Also you have coolant in your oil, so again don't drive it. Have it towed.

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Milky oil screams head gasket. But that puddle almost looks like wiper fluid.
That’s what I thought at first too. But it definitely is coolant as the car smells awful

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 civic
Country flag
It would be pretty clear if you had a blown HG. Were you experiencing overheating issues? Its most likely a leak from a radiator hose.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
That's definitely Honda blue coolant. If you buy coolant from them, its a different color compared to what you're used to seeing.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Our engine coolant is blue btw. that's definitely the coolant

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked her up last night. This is how it was explained to me:

The murky oil you thought you had is an additive we put in the break in oil in all new Honda’s. (Sounds good to me)

We can’t find a leak anywhere. We pressure tested it.

I said “well that’s fine. Have 245k more miles of warranty so I’d be glad to come get it and drive it until there’s no more coolant in it, burn the engine up and then bring it back”
He offered to check again.

Called me back in a couple of hours and said “hey you did have a coolant leak. We found it all popped up on the back of the engine. It had blown a hose off and we fixed it and cleaned it up”. No idea how a pressure test didn’t find a blown hose. I think they’re bullshitting me to be honest. It’s not running hot but still smells terrible. Coolant smell is very obvious almost to the point of being nauseating.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Picked her up last night. This is how it was explained to me:

The murky oil you thought you had is an additive we put in the break in oil in all new Honda’s. (Sounds good to me)

We can’t find a leak anywhere. We pressure tested it.

I said “well that’s fine. Have 245k more miles of warranty so I’d be glad to come get it and drive it until there’s no more coolant in it, burn the engine up and then bring it back”
He offered to check again.

Called me back in a couple of hours and said “hey you did have a coolant leak. We found it all popped up on the back of the engine. It had blown a hose off and we fixed it and cleaned it up”. No idea how a pressure test didn’t find a blown hose. I think they’re bullshitting me to be honest. It’s not running hot but still smells terrible. Coolant smell is very obvious almost to the point of being nauseating.
Name of dealer so we can all avoid
Sponsored