Possible 19mm black lug solution?

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, quite a few of you go aftermarket but must use the adapters for $1 each if you’re using it on Honda/Acura OEM wheels I’m afraid. We tested a few for weight purposes. All except OEM are 19mm.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible 19mm black lug solution? 745AD24F-A8FB-4370-89CE-2B5AF7FF323E

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible 19mm black lug solution? 5012F631-5440-46B7-8180-882D39F3647A

Reactions: Tmy
OP
OP

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
@ctrmofo the difference with the ones I linked is that they are ball seat instead of conical, so no adapters needed? I did order and install the conical to ball seat adapters, however even when torqued correctly, I got a ticking sound (almost like a CV joint issue) when turning the steering wheel all the way left or right and in motion (i.e. parking). Took it to the dealership thinking it might be something with the CV joints, but they said the adapters were causing the ticking noise. They removed the adapters and the noise stopped.

Any thoughts you could share on your experience? Did you adjust torque differently with your adapters? Above all else I just want to keep things safe and also not damage my NSX rims.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ctrmofo the difference with the ones I linked is that they are ball seat instead of conical, so no adapters needed? I did order and install the conical to ball seat adapters, however even when torqued correctly, I got a ticking sound (almost like a CV joint issue) when turning the steering wheel all the way left or right and in motion (i.e. parking). Took it to the dealership thinking it might be something with the CV joints, but they said the adapters were causing the ticking noise. They removed the adapters and the noise stopped.

Any thoughts you could share on your experience? Did you adjust torque differently with your adapters? Above all else I just want to keep things safe and also not damage my NSX rims.
Did not have any of that at all and used them on NSX wheels actually. No torque issues whatsoever and autocrossed with NSX wheels and adapters. That’s just odd.

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
Those nuts are listed for Porsche vehicles. There doesn't seem to be a consistent answer about the arc of the ball seat between Acura and Porsche specs. I have a set of NSX wheels and I'm also looking for a good solution.

OP
OP

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Those nuts are listed for Porsche vehicles. There doesn't seem to be a consistent answer about the arc of the ball seat between Acura and Porsche specs. I have a set of NSX wheels and I'm also looking for a good solution.
@revvhappy Ahh, gotcha- that makes sense, thank you. Whomever ends up making a 19mm Honda spec black ball-seat lug nut will certainly have customers!

I just ordered a thin wall 22mm socket hoping that it will have enough clearance with the NSX rims to use Euro OEM black lugs. I certainly want to keep as much surface area contact as was intended for safety reasons.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
What lug nuts did you end up going with? I just got my NSX wheels and can't seem to find nuts that don't need me to use an adapter...

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
I did another search for something useful and still came up without a known good solution. I'll probably end up with adapters or a turned down socket.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I did another search for something useful and still came up without a known good solution. I'll probably end up with adapters or a turned down socket.
I went ahead and ordered these: https://www.ezaccessory.com/Porsche_Ball_Seat_Lug_Nuts_14x1_5_Black_p/98-0029bk.htm

I've seen people on the forum say that these wouldn't work with a Honda wheel due to the ball radius being larger--but I also saw someone say Acura wheels use the same ball radius as Porsche (14mm)--so these should work. I'll let you know.

OP
OP

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Did not have any of that at all and used them on NSX wheels actually. No torque issues whatsoever and autocrossed with NSX wheels and adapters. That’s just odd.
@ctrmofo I removed the adapters and still had a tick tick tick sound when doing a sharp turn. I took it back to the dealership this morning and they suspect that it is the plastic hub rings (64.1 to 70.1) that were causing the noise. This kind of makes sense, as the ticking did sound plastic (as opposed to metallic). They added some grease to the hub rings, and so far they are quiet. My question is this- do you have an opinion on aluminum hub rings vs. plastic, and if aluminum have benefits, do you know where I could find those for purchase in the right size?

I just want to make sure I am not risking any safety here.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ctrmofo I removed the adapters and still had a tick tick tick sound when doing a sharp turn. I took it back to the dealership this morning and they suspect that it is the plastic hub rings (64.1 to 70.1) that were causing the noise. This kind of makes sense, as the ticking did sound plastic (as opposed to metallic). They added some grease to the hub rings, and so far they are quiet. My question is this- do you have an opinion on aluminum hub rings vs. plastic, and if aluminum have benefits, do you know where I could find those for purchase in the right size?

Hub-centric rings aren’t load-bearing; primarily for centering wheels during installation. You can go without them without safety issues. A lot of them are plastic (perfectly fine for street use). Only need to concern if you track and melt them from brake heat, thus use metallic hub rings on the track or go without them.

OP
OP

xc1v1cx

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you @TypeSiR - this is very helpful!

I have a lot to learn for sure...

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I mainly use aluminum because they don’t crack or break like plastic. Can’t find aluminum in that size so had to use plastic. Can have them custom made at many places online but cost about $100 to make in aluminum.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I went ahead and ordered these: https://www.ezaccessory.com/Porsche_Ball_Seat_Lug_Nuts_14x1_5_Black_p/98-0029bk.htm

I've seen people on the forum say that these wouldn't work with a Honda wheel due to the ball radius being larger--but I also saw someone say Acura wheels use the same ball radius as Porsche (14mm)--so these should work. I'll let you know.
I got them installed today and the Discount Tire guys said these lugs should be fine; I think I'm the first on this forum to attempt this. Haven't driven it much today, but so far, NSX wheels + Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are a real winner!

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I got them installed today and the Discount Tire guys said these lugs should be fine; I think I'm the first on this forum to attempt this. Haven't driven it much today, but so far, NSX wheels + Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are a real winner!
Are the paint pretty good on this? Or do they strip easily?
Sponsored