Popping Sound/Audio Defect Upon Start Up

ext_katie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe
I purchased my ex-t coupe two weeks ago and over the course of the two weeks, about 7 different times I have experiences this LOUD, full volume, popping sound upon start up. No audio will play out of the speakers, just constant popping at what sounds like max volume. After researching forums several other people experienced this as well, and they said to reboot the display. At first that fixed it temporarily, but the more it happened the rebooting no longer fixed it. Now I have to kill the car for a few minutes, on top of constantly rebooting in hopes of that fixing it but it always happens again and at random times. There is no consistent pattern. Today I finally had had enough and took it to the service department at my dealership and they told me that they had heard about a new update and that should fix it. Well when they ran the diagnostics, they told me that the display was going out and they ordered an entire new one, all covered under my warranty. I will have to take my car back up there tomorrow and let them install the new display and that should fix it completely. I will have to give it a few days and weeks on the new display before pinpointing if this is the best solution to this problem, but I will keep this thread posted over the next few days.
Sponsored

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I purchased my ex-t coupe two weeks ago and over the course of the two weeks, about 7 different times I have experiences this LOUD, full volume, popping sound upon start up. No audio will play out of the speakers, just constant popping at what sounds like max volume. After researching forums several other people experienced this as well, and they said to reboot the display. At first that fixed it temporarily, but the more it happened the rebooting no longer fixed it. Now I have to kill the car for a few minutes, on top of constantly rebooting in hopes of that fixing it but it always happens again and at random times. There is no consistent pattern. Today I finally had had enough and took it to the service department at my dealership and they told me that they had heard about a new update and that should fix it. Well when they ran the diagnostics, they told me that the display was going out and they ordered an entire new one, all covered under my warranty. I will have to take my car back up there tomorrow and let them install the new display and that should fix it completely. I will have to give it a few days and weeks on the new display before pinpointing if this is the best solution to this problem, but I will keep this thread posted over the next few days.
Happened to me after 3 months of owning had the car for 7 months now they factory resettled the whole system a month ago and it has been fine since I think this fixed the issue the update that is coming out for the audio doesn't reflect any of the popping issues they just say that to brush you off
But the factory reset did work for me hopefully the issue doesn't come back

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's scary isn't it so loud lol I'm pretty sure it's the wires not connecting to something properly or somehow it got fixed from factory resetting the sound system .
Suprised it's happening on your coupe think they would of fixed the issue in production

OP
OP
ext_katie

ext_katie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's scary isn't it so loud lol I'm pretty sure it's the wires not connecting to something properly or somehow it got fixed from factory resetting the sound system .
Suprised it's happening on your coupe think they would of fixed the issue in production
Yes, if it happened mid driving it could probably cause a wreck. Thankfully, if it does happen it's upon start up so I can at least turn off the audio system and get to my destination. They said it was a frequency issue and since replacing my whole display I haven't experienced the popping again. Fingers crossed I don't. The dealership said they had never experienced this, so it was going to be an expirament to fix.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, if it happened mid driving it could probably cause a wreck. Thankfully, if it does happen it's upon start up so I can at least turn off the audio system and get to my destination. They said it was a frequency issue and since replacing my whole display I haven't experienced the popping again. Fingers crossed I don't. The dealership said they had never experienced this, so it was going to be an expirament to fix.
I replied to you in the other "Popping Noise" thread with my issue but I will keep an eye on you here too since we have the same model of vehicle and problem. It sounds like we both bought ours around the same time too. Lucky us! :)

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I had this issue on my '16 Touring. Still have it if the weather is just right - perhaps a cold/humid day after a rainy night.

The issue is somehow related to the Neutral DTS Audio setting. I found that with it enabled, I may run into this issue.

While I believe Honda should fix this, I don't think there are enough of us to issue a recall/TSB.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It is nearly impossible to have this fixed through Honda because most of the time its nearly impossible for them to replicate it. Even if they replicate it, they'll just make up some BS story of how they fixed it when in fact they didn't do anything.

One time I had a recording (video) of the incident and I brought it over to my local dealer. They dismissed the video evidence and insisted that they could not do anything because they couldn't replicate it. This is one of the major 'defects' of the Civic X.

kcabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic LX | 2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I've had my touring for a year and this issue occurred about three times. The first time, I thought that they were literally gunshots - almost needed new underwear. The last time it happened, I had to restart my vehicle at least 5 times before it stopped "popping". But once it stopped, my speakers stopped functioning (no sounds). Luckily the sound came back after after a few more restart of the ignition.

It seems to happen randomly but only on vehicle startups. Luckily I haven't had it happen while driving.

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had my touring for a year and this issue occurred about three times. The first time, I thought that they were literally gunshots - almost needed new underwear. The last time it happened, I had to restart my vehicle at least 5 times before it stopped "popping". But once it stopped, my speakers stopped functioning (no sounds). Luckily the sound came back after after a few more restart of the ignition.

It seems to happen randomly but only on vehicle startups. Luckily I haven't had it happen while driving.
Do you ever still get this randomally or have gotten it fixed ?

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
I have an Australian 2016 Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent in the U.S.) with the supposed 10-speaker premium audio sound system. I have recently started experiencing random audio popping when the car is started. Fortunately, the speakers do not appear to have been damaged (yet). Whilst I have not found a fix, I have found that I no longer get the popping the next time I start the car if I have the audio turned off before I shut off the car earlier if that makes sense. I mean turn off by using the audio on/off switch which causes the radio to say audio system off. Hope this helps for those affected.

rramrattan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This started happening to me. About 3 weeks ago was the first case, and then a couple of days after that. I noticed also that both days had been rainy days. Hasn't happened since, but I'm always bracing myself when I turn the car on (This is no way to live :().

Also - all 5 of my back speakers don't seem to be playing anymore, most likely ever since this happened....

blue16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It is nearly impossible to have this fixed through Honda because most of the time its nearly impossible for them to replicate it. Even if they replicate it, they'll just make up some BS story of how they fixed it when in fact they didn't do anything.

One time I had a recording (video) of the incident and I brought it over to my local dealer. They dismissed the video evidence and insisted that they could not do anything because they couldn't replicate it. This is one of the major 'defects' of the Civic X.
We have a 2016 Touring, almost had this “popping” issue a few weeks after buying it new. 4 years later and trying to rectify it still occasionally does it. Turn off car few minutes restart sometimes helps. Not happy either

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just came back to this forum for another issue, but I wanted to update on my car; At some point in recent years the head unit was replaced entirely. I think I also had Honda take care of some really annoying rattling from the subwoofer at the same time, and since then I have not had any popping or sound system failures at all. I still have some rattling from the rear deck but it isn't as bad as it used to be, and I figure it'll never be as good as it was in year 1.

I have no idea if they ended up having a TSB or anything that focused on the issue. To me, the fact that replacing the head unit points to either a flaw with the head unit or how it was installed. I doubt the work to deal with the rattling did anything, else there happened to be a wire shorting on something and adjusting the panel fit (or installing insulators) would have resolved the issue on its own.

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys,

I had this issue on my '16 Touring. Still have it if the weather is just right - perhaps a cold/humid day after a rainy night.

The issue is somehow related to the Neutral DTS Audio setting. I found that with it enabled, I may run into this issue.

While I believe Honda should fix this, I don't think there are enough of us to issue a recall/TSB.
Just had this issue occur on my '16 Touring, it IS a humid day, never had this issue until today, but had recently enabled the Neural DTS feature. After staying at a friend's house for a few hours, starting the car produced this immediate loud popping from the speakers. Multiple restarts, different audio sources and several head unit reboots all did not resolve the issue, i figured my audio system was borked.

Did a search on this site for Audio popping, found the above post, and turning off Neural DTS FIXED THE ISSUE!!!
You just saved me the hassle of waiting 2 weeks to see my dealer on the next available appointment and listening to my music thru speakerphone!
Sponsored