Poor rear-view & Lane Watch camera quality?

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Are the cameras really that bad for everyone or is everyone just too spoiled by there smart phones and tv's? The picture on my cameras are not 4k or anything but they look good. At least 720p. My cousin added a backup camera to his 2014 WRX and that has some seriously bad imaging. Almost like VGA quality from the old flip phones. Maybe it's what the person said above me is to keep the lense clean. I actually waxed the lenses when I waxed my car. It even works well in the rain. I can agree that night time makes the cameras drop in quality but still usable. Here are some shots I took today
At a stop
20171130_074710.jpg

While moving
20171130_074835.jpg

Back up camera in low light
20171130_081327.jpg

I'm driving a 2016 civic ex hatch
Try it when it rains....you will see how fantastic it is
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Try it when it rains....you will see how fantastic it is
Don't most review cameras perform badly in the rain. It seems like using harsh conditions to judge the quality of something isn't correct. That's like if I complained about the civic not handling well while driving on icy roads

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Isn't rain an issue with any camera? If you want a 180-degree view, I'm thinking it's probably physically impossible to protect it from the elements,
Don't most review cameras perform badly in the rain. It seems like using harsh conditions to judge the quality of something isn't correct. That's like if I complained about the civic not handling well while driving on icy roads
Ok. is not even raining and this is the quality on my car camera,let me tell you my old 2006 lexus dint have that poor visibility
Honda Civic 10th gen Poor rear-view & Lane Watch camera quality? 20171130_172055

midnightcivic

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SGP EX
Country flag
Someone should try swapping it out, looking at the parts they should be fairly easy to swap out. I too also see the low quality compared to my 2015 crv.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
My '15 Si's cameras were great - very clear (although, did not have the 3 position rear-view). The ones in my '17 suck (as do the ones in our '16 EX-L). I think they changed cams for crappier ones. Not certain if Honda would replace them just because I think they suck, or not....

lowrysam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Black) w/ HFP package
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My '15 Si's cameras were great - very clear (although, did not have the 3 position rear-view). The ones in my '17 suck (as do the ones in our '16 EX-L). I think they changed cams for crappier ones. Not certain if Honda would replace them just because I think they suck, or not....
I had a 14 Si Coupe. It did have the 3 position rear-view. In fact I used it regularly. I don't know why you and others did not.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I had a 14 Si Coupe. It did have the 3 position rear-view. In fact I used it regularly. I don't know why you and others did not.
Don't know - first time I saw that was when we got the '16 EX-L...but the '15 didn't have it (at least, it wasn't an option when the rear cam was on...I'd have noticed it).

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The ones that came with navigation had the 3 position view, the ones that didn't have navigation didn't have that option.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Took a quick snapshot on this foggy/cloudy morning -- looks good enough to me... (forgive the dust on the panel)

Honda Civic 10th gen Poor rear-view & Lane Watch camera quality? upload_2017-12-1_10-5-57

Maybe it's because my expectations are non-existent (since none of my previous cars had a back-up camera), but this is certainly enough for me to see what's happening behind the car. In low-light conditions things aren't as nice though, but still not too bad. (And, on the brighter side :), when it's sunny -- the image is really crisp.)

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Took a quick snapshot on this foggy/cloudy morning -- looks good enough to me... (forgive the dust on the panel)

upload_2017-12-1_10-5-57.png

Maybe it's because my expectations are non-existent (since none of my previous cars had a back-up camera), but this is certainly enough for me to see what's happening behind the car. In low-light conditions things aren't as nice though, but still not too bad. (And, on the brighter side :), when it's sunny -- the image is really crisp.)
It's possible I am in the same boat because I'm coming from an s2000 so I don't have much to compare it to other than the eBay special camera

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
I have a 9th gen SI and a 10th gen SI at home!
The camera look pretty much the same. A little better resolution on the 10th gen.
They both are functional but not that good if I compare them with my ex WRX 2017.
They also get dirty very easily for some reason rendering them almost useless sometimes. The WRX did not get that dirty even after a week.

Might be a solution to clean it thoroughly an then apply a nano-coating on it to repelled dirt.
Sponsored