Poll: Remote Start Range

What's the range of your key fob's remote start?

• Total voters

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan, CosBlu
Hey all,

With the winter weather in full swing in many states, I'm wondering what is the range you guys are getting from your key fobs? Looking through the threads here, I've seen answers ranging from a few feet away to over 100 yards. Might be helpful if you guys add your response in the comment section and also note how densely populated your area is.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure but guessing 50 feet works when I place the Key Fob under my chin. LOL

My Murano is the first with push start and still waiting for my Hatchback.

I usually start it within 20 feet. From the living room.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to information from Honda, the remote start feature can work as far away as 60 yards (about 55 meters) without any obstructions between the remote and the car... I've started mine from that far a few times when it's a pretty clear line of sight. I typically can start my car easily when I'm inside my home and the car is inside my garage about 25 feet away with walls in between. Of course, I only have the car running momentarily before I open the garage and then I get in the car.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I definitely get at least 50-60ft with mine. It will work just fine through glass, but there is a 4ft pine tree between my building and my car. If I'm in line with the tree, remote start will not work.

Oh and I always have to put the fob under my chin to get 50-60ft. Human antenna ftw

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
I work on the third floor of an office building and I can remote start my car from the conference room facing the parking lot. It's pretty great.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
20-30 feet with line of sight. 50-60 feet while under my chin, lol

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Way to short to be useful. If you know of a aftermarket that will work let us know. I'm itching to upgrade that.

OP
OP

PenguinMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan, CosBlu
Just finally had the chance to test my own. My apartment unit is half underground and located on the opposite side from where the parking lot and detached garages are. Standing in my apartment, I'm able to start my car from at least 45 meters away despite the signal having to travel through my wall, then through my neighbor's apartment unit, then through a brick wall, and finally through my garage door. This is without putting the remote under my chin. Much better than I had thought. Will have to test the max range when I have a bit more time.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Second floor apartment, I can look at my car ~30-40 feet away and it starts every time. At work, with other cars in the way I can only get 20-30ish feet. I'll have to try the chin thing tomorrow lol.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
When my car was new, I started it from a bus I was on from at least 125M away! I saw the back lights light up, and sure enough it was running when I got there! I have noticed lately though that it does struggle sometimes to work the first time, and won't work that far away anymore. Just needs a new battery, no biggie.

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
I think the farthest I've done is around 60ish feet. Also, lot's of people here mention a chin thing, I don't want to be the guy that ruins the magic of it, but really you can just hold your FOB flat side toward your car and get the same benefits without pushing it to your face.

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
I'm surprised at all of the short distances people have commented. I seem to have no trouble remote starting from around 170 - 200ft away at my work's parking lot (haven't tried the chin thing yet either). Maybe the way the car is facing impacts the range? I always back in so that the front is facing me when walking to it from the office.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I wish there was a setting to turn on a "beep" when it started. It works fine when in the garage or whatever (when I really don't need it that much), but am always annoyed that when I need it in the 90+ degree heat or freezing that it looks like it didn't start while I was walking towards it. I think its not range per say, but maybe whether you have a clean line of sight or whatever.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
I just replaced the battery in my fob tonight, hoping it helps with range. No low power alert. The battery is about 18 months old, so maybe it's just weaker.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The range seems short compared to my other car. Sometimes I can't tell if it started because it's difficult to see the flashing tail lamp from the side especially on a sunny day. Once in awhile I'll go through the procedure again as I get closer to the car just to make sure it started.
Sponsored