First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The wife asked me to fix a leaky faucet. I AM NOT A PLUMBER but went on YouTube and seems like an easy fix. I went to Lowe's and got a replacement cartridge and installed. When I turned the water back on the water just flows freely and this is with cold water handle on the off position! :doh:

What the hell did i do wrong!?!

So I had to put back the leaky cartridge and now I need help. Can anyone please let me know what went wrong. I need to be the hero and a not a zero in my wifes eyes. She thinks i can fix anything.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The wife asked me to fix a leaky faucet. I AM NOT A PLUMBER but went on YouTube and seems like an easy fix. I went to Lowe's and got a replacement cartridge and installed. When I turned the water back on the water just flows freely and this is with cold water handle on the off position! :doh:

What the hell did i do wrong!?!

So I had to put back the leaky cartridge and now I need help. Can anyone please let me know what went wrong. I need to be the hero and a not a zero in my wifes eyes. She thinks i can fix anything.
Terry Love is a good resource for plumbing questions. I'd check that site for specific questions.

Off the cuff... I'd say 1) something wasn't assembled right (duh... I know, but that'd be what I'd check first. Maybe a random rubber seal came off or is pinched in some way) or 2) if the cartridge is being used for a faucet that takes a 90 degree turn to turn on/off (think bathroom where hot and cold each get separate handles... and moving them 'to' you turns on... away turns off... but full open is only a 90 degree turn) then either the cartridge would somehow be offset or... as the hot and cold actually should use 2 different cartridges since they turn different ways from open and shut... if you are shutting off the water by it being what should be open... you bought the wrong side cartridge. Counterclockwise on hot (left) does the opposite of clockwise on the cold (right).

Not sure if I helped much at all... but check out Terry Love. They have a heck of a DITY forum.