SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys.

I just wanted to let you know, if you are having problems with your A/C with the symptoms of cold A/C during moderate temperature days (Below 85-90F) but warm A/C on hot days, you do infact have an issue.

The symptoms are cold A/C while moving such as freeway driving. City driving, idle, or stop/go is the prime occurance when you will start to get ambient temp A/C, warm A/C, mugginess, or possible odor.

The probable cause of this is most likely the condensor unit, or switch placement (switch becomes wet, or covered in grease/grime, location of switch is front of the engine bay, passenger side all the way down by the plastic scrape plate, marked with a blue dot on mine). Honda switched to a new refrigerant called 1234YF for EPA reasons leaving the old 134 behind, new refrigerants require new compressor designs, and new designs have the potential to fail alot.

As of yet, there is NO official fix. Your car will be leak tested, and an attempt to recharge your unit will be preformed (another symptom is LOW freon result returning during the leak test). The best solution now is to visit your dealership of choice, and have them attempt to solve the issue. At the very least get it logged and noted you have the 1.5L A/C issue so Honda must pay attention to it and we can get a real fix sooner.

I will update this thread with more information as I get it.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you sir

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
Hey guys.

I just wanted to let you know, if you are having problems with your A/C with the symposiumtoms of cold A/C during moderate temperature days (Below 85-90F) but warm A/C on hot days, you do infact have an issue.

The symptoms are cold A/C while moving such as freeway driving. City driving, idle, or stop/go is the prime occurance when you will start to get ambient temp A/C, warm A/C, mugginess, or possible odor.

The probable cause of this is most likely the condensor unit, or switch placement (switch becomes wet, or covered in grease/grime, location of switch is front of the engine bay, passenger side all the way down by the plastic scrape plate, marked with a blue dot on mine). Honda switched to a new refrigerant called 1234YF for EPA reasons leaving the old 134 behind, new refrigerants require new compressor designs, and new designs have the potential to fail alot.

As of yet, there is NO official fix. Your car will be leak tested, and an attempt to recharge your unit will be preformed (another symptom is LOW freon result returning during the leak test). The best solution now is to visit your dealership of choice, and have them attempt to solve the issue. At the very least get it logged and noted you have the 1.5L A/C issue so Honda must pay attention to it and we can get a real fix sooner.

I will update this thread with more information as I get it.
I'm sitting in the waiting room at the dealership as we speak with this issue. Their first step is expelling and recharging the system. Please everyone be advised that this new garbage refrigerant system takes TWO HOURS TO PURGE AND RECHARGE! Wasn't expecting that one, thus why I planned to wait. My mistake there. Now I'm stuck here. Hopefully when they recharge they'll see there was an issue either with the amount that came out, or the amount that needed to go back in. I have the exact issue listed above, and alongside that, I have the weird AC noise people on here talk about, and air being cooler on the passenger side than the drivers side which is often mentioned here. After the recharge today, unless they suggest the cause and offer to fix it, I will be making another appointment, in which I will be dropping the car off and demanding a courtesy vehicle until they fix the issue properly. I was told they can't offer a courtesy vehicle for "just a 2 hour diagnosis" which I entirely understand, but when this recharge likely will fail to solve my issue, that's when I'll use that response to my advantage is stating that further diagnosis and repair will likely take far longer. I'll post my results every step of the way on here.

Hopefully Honda admits defeat and announces a recall for this issue as on this forum alone we've got 2-3 dozen users reporting the issue and that doesn't include the people who aren't reporting it here, nor how many thousands of these cars are on the road nationwide with likely the same problem. I wish they'd leave refrigerant alone. My old 2004 Acura RSX with R134 got 32mpg and blew out air cooler than a freezer before I could even leave my driveway on a 95 degree day. This car blows almost coolish air after a half an hour of driving and only if it is under 80 outside.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sitting in the waiting room at the dealership as we speak with this issue. Their first step is expelling and recharging the system. Please everyone be advised that this new garbage refrigerant system takes TWO HOURS TO PURGE AND RECHARGE! Wasn't expecting that one, thus why I planned to wait. My mistake there. Now I'm stuck here. Hopefully when they recharge they'll see there was an issue either with the amount that came out, or the amount that needed to go back in. I have the exact issue listed above, and alongside that, I have the weird AC noise people on here talk about, and air being cooler on the passenger side than the drivers side which is often mentioned here. After the recharge today, unless they suggest the cause and offer to fix it, I will be making another appointment, in which I will be dropping the car off and demanding a courtesy vehicle until they fix the issue properly. I was told they can't offer a courtesy vehicle for "just a 2 hour diagnosis" which I entirely understand, but when this recharge likely will fail to solve my issue, that's when I'll use that response to my advantage is stating that further diagnosis and repair will likely take far longer. I'll post my results every step of the way on here.

Hopefully Honda admits defeat and announces a recall for this issue as on this forum alone we've got 2-3 dozen users reporting the issue and that doesn't include the people who aren't reporting it here, nor how many thousands of these cars are on the road nationwide with likely the same problem. I wish they'd leave refrigerant alone. My old 2004 Acura RSX with R134 got 32mpg and blew out air cooler than a freezer before I could even leave my driveway on a 95 degree day. This car blows almost coolish air after a half an hour of driving and only if it is under 80 outside.
My wifes 04 TSX parked in my driveway in 100 degree heat, which my mom drove previously in KC where it also gets hot af, blows cold almost immediately still

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wifes 04 TSX parked in my driveway in 100 degree heat, which my mom drove previously in KC where it also gets hot af, blows cold almost immediately still
It sucks because I really like this car, especially having been my grandfather's car til he passed last May, but I'm starting to lean more and more toward selling it next year when it's paid off. Needless to say, the difference between Honda and Acura is more than I had expected. Especially the dealerships. Acura would be kissing the ground I walk in compared to this Honda dealer. I explained it's currently my only vehicle. Nope, no loaner. Shuttle? Nope, only within 10 miles and I live 15 mils away.

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sucks because I really like this car, especially having been my grandfather's car til he passed last May, but I'm starting to lean more and more toward selling it next year when it's paid off. Needless to say, the difference between Honda and Acura is more than I had expected. Especially the dealerships. Acura would be kissing the ground I walk in compared to this Honda dealer. I explained it's currently my only vehicle. Nope, no loaner. Shuttle? Nope, only within 10 miles and I live 15 mils away.
You might be more having a dealership issue. My service dept. logs all my problems even without service, and my advisor doesnt even waste my time with saying a replication is needed because he knows I watch and pay attention to every little detail. As well, I will get a loaner regardless of how long the time for service if i ask as my advisor knows sometimes im extremely busy and may need to leave spontaneously

However, yeah, the new refrigeration is a PITA. Currently im sitting on my A/C, Grille separation, and CVT warm start issues. I love my car, but its been a total lemon so far. Once I passed the 4k mile mark, its been at the dealership about once every week for Honda screw ups. So we will see.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are these 16"s or 17's?

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
I just want to say that this isnt a issue specific to the 1.5L. i have a 2.0 and im having the same problems, remote starting the car nowadays at summer blows hot air instead of cold now even. im beyond disappointed.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 here, and I've been waiting for 3 hours and 15 minutes now. Still not done. Think there's a machine issue. Might push to drop off.

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
16 here, and I've been waiting for 3 hours and 15 minutes now. Still not done. Think there's a machine issue. Might push to drop off.
Yep, im waiting until my depts machine gets fixed. The machine vacuums the lines, and then shoots the freon in for a charge and leak test. So if it fails once, then it has to sit hooked up until depressurized.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Hmm,

I use the auto feature and always set it to low and it cools fine regardless of temp outside and my remote start A/C works fine. I do find that setting the temp to 75 degrees auto causes it to come out not as cold as I believe it mixes in outside or heater core air to balance it out. So I just set it on low auto and cycle it on and off myself if it's getting too cold.

If the system has correct amount of Freon and it doesn't leak there is no reason it would be warm, the temp switch only turns the A/C on or off, and also a pressure switch in the A/C lines. If the compressor kicks on it is cooling.

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm,

I use the auto feature and always set it to low and it cools fine regardless of temp outside and my remote start A/C works fine. I do find that setting the temp to 75 degrees auto causes it to come out not as cold as I believe it mixes in outside or heater core air to balance it out. So I just set it on low auto and cycle it on and off myself if it's getting too cold.

If the system has correct amount of Freon and it doesn't leak there is no reason it would be warm, the temp switch only turns the A/C on or off, and also a pressure switch in the A/C lines. If the compressor kicks on it is cooling.
Even Honda america isnt sure at this point. However it is a documented issue. I have mine set to low and use manual so theoretically it should be on 24/7, yet it always blows ice cold when freeway driving, and blows hardly cold, borderline warm muggy air when in city

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Even Honda america isnt sure at this point. However it is a documented issue. I have mine set to low and use manual so theoretically it should be on 24/7, yet it always blows ice cold when freeway driving, and blows hardly cold, borderline warm muggy air when in city
I think the infotainment has a diagnostic screen that can be used to see if the A/C is actually on when it is blowing muggy air in the city. I'll try it out and see since there have been times I say to myself it's damn hot today and feel muggy... but didn't think much of it.

OP
OP

SoSublime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the infotainment has a diagnostic screen that can be used to see if the A/C is actually on when it is blowing muggy air in the city. I'll try it out and see since there have been times I say to myself it's damn hot today and feel muggy... but didn't think much of it.
Yeah, im in socal where is 114f and a humidity of 10-20% so, when it feels muggy, I know its the A/C
Sponsored