Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue)

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
So I recently replaced my assembly and I swear it's not calibrated properly after having honda install it.if I'm not mistaken, the red line meant the cars were at your bumper. Now? Literally at my non blind side . literally near my door.2016/17 civics help me out here . I feel this is way off. I don't recall seeing my side this much.

Did they change it???

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200309_204629
Sponsored

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
Here's a comparison to a 2020 exl(first pic). I'm a 2017 exl/nav(bottom).

Cameras are off, right?

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200310_150848

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) IMG_6422(1)

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
So I recently replaced my assembly and I swear it's not calibrated properly after having honda install it.if I'm not mistaken, the red line meant the cars were at your bumper. Now? Literally at my non blind side . literally near my door.2016/17 civics help me out here . I feel this is way off. I don't recall seeing my side this much.

Did they change it???

20200309_204629.jpg
I don't think the mirror cam has a "calibration". I think it just broadcasts what it views at the angle the mirror is supposed to be at. Yours kind of looks like an optical illusion. It looks like the mirror isn't pointed at the proper angle or the camera inside is in the wrong position (looks too close to the side of the car as opposed to the lines not being properly spaced or whatever).

Place something on the ground at the back bumper of your car and then look at it in the camera to see where its located by the camera's view. If whatever you use on the ground appears at the line in the video, it's not judging the distance incorrectly, but it still looks weird.

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
See, I checked multiple cars. Their lines dont match mine.my old one does. I kept getting the 2020 model part is different. Compare it to a 2017.

So anyone with a 2017 ex-l. Post theirs?

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I don't think the mirror cam has a "calibration".
Yes, there's definitely an "aiming" routine that must be done on a newly replaced camera assembly (if you don't do it, it does't even show a picture, just gives an error message). It involves placing a target in a certain position relative to the car, and running the aiming routine on the head unit. If the target is badly out of position, the routine will simply fail, but perhaps in this case the tech just misplaced it a bit, resulting in the view and lines not being where they should.

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
Techs said all is right. It's not. Feels like the internal camera is looking slightly off and the lines aren't as the 2020 models.

They got annoyed by attitude but I'm not willing to risk it.

Did hinda change the software/camera for lanewatch since 2017 models?

JCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
You’re not crazy. I have a 2018 and mine looks different than yours. Maybe they did the aiming incorrectly?

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 16F16735-1C53-4762-A1E0-76C66B83B021

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Yes, there's definitely an "aiming" routine that must be done on a newly replaced camera assembly (if you don't do it, it does't even show a picture, just gives an error message). It involves placing a target in a certain position relative to the car, and running the aiming routine on the head unit. If the target is badly out of position, the routine will simply fail, but perhaps in this case the tech just misplaced it a bit, resulting in the view and lines not being where they should.
Perhaps that's their issue then.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Your camera is definitely pointed too much towards the car. So the lines also go too much behind the car. The door handle should not be all in the frame.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Sounds like a dumb question, but I'll ask it. Have you made sure your flip out mirror is flipped out all the way? I'll go through the car wash occasionally and it'll flip my mirrors in a bit sometimes.

BiggbEstates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I recently replaced my mirror assembly on my 18 Civic Si and was required to calibrate (aim) the side camera before being able to use the camera. I've searched lots of threads and haven't been able to find anything for 10th gen civics so I wanted to share my experience and results.

First, you will have to print the "target" like the dealership uses but on letter size paper. See attachment.
I had to save as .pdf and print it at 150% (actual size of my printed target: 7"x 9 3/8")

Next came accessing the diagnostic screen.
Keep Engine off and turn on accessory to power the media center.
You will then have to press and hold these three buttons simultaneously: (1)Day/night, (2)Audio Power, (3)Menu.
This enters Diagnosis Mode and you will select the lower of two choices, "Detail Information & Setting".
Next select "Functional Setup" and lastly "LaneWatch".
You will notice the the lower box showing red and "NG" or (Not Good) if you haven't yet successfully calibrated. My pic shows "OK and green".
You can then select "Aiming Start" and it will bring up the camera and you can utilize this view to set up your target. (Don't press LaneWatch Switch until ready for it to calibrate.)

I tried using a ladder to hang the target from but it became tedious to change the height based on the clamps I was using. Some have used a music stand or tripod. I used an ez-up canopy in its bag I had sitting in the garage and clamped the target to it while raising/lowering as necessary. Find what works for you.

Here are the measurements that I used to set up my target.
Distance from the ground: 29 1/2" (to bottom of lower border of target)
Distance from camera: 36"
From Side of car door: 15" (centered on lower border of target.)

Since the aiming is based on perspective, Trial and error might apply here as size of target you print may have slight impact. You might be required to move target closer/farther to camera based on print size.
Moving the target closer and farther away from the side of the car door will move your lines closer\ farther to the vehicle.
My first aim calibration ended up with the farthest line off the shoulder of the next lane and in the grass during my test drive (I had the target centered at 18" from side of the car door). The above measurements then brought it to where its supposed to be.

I found placing scrap wood or 2-3 objects behind the car in the "next Lane" (I used my driveway) 1/2 and +1 car length were handy for reference to match to the series of dots on the target. (Ultimately you should see First line - Red = Lower dots, Second line - yellow = Middle dots.) I included an attachment of my car in reverse to show the wood placement w/ blue arrows.

Explanation of lines:
First Line - Red: 1/2 car length behind you
Second Line - Yellow: +1 car length
Third Line - Yellow: +2 car lengths

Once set up, press the LaneWatch Switch on turn signal and it will begin its calibration.
**Screen will flash in succession of the colors below based on the accuracy of target placement.

Yellow "While Aiming No IG-OFF"
Blue "While Aiming IG-OFF is OK"
Red "Aiming Failed"

Yellow to Red = Your target card is way off
Yellow to Blue to Red = Your target placement is almost there
Yellow to Blue to camera image = Congratulations you "did it".

Once completed, use the return / back key to return to main screen and shut off power to car to save settings. I then took it for a test drive to verify. I've included the pics i have to show the scrap wood I used for car length reference and final view of my successful calibration.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_153325

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_155620

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_163712

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_163718

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_163723

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20200415_163728

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) Lanewatch Target

Attachments

ctviggen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thank you for that write-up. You should win some type of award for that!

I hit a garbage can that was exactly the correct height at the top to take out most of my passenger side mirror. A body shop wanted around $1,100 to fix, including matching the paint. Instead, I bought two matching mirrors from Ebay, which are black (and my car is grey/black) with chrome trim, and I have some chrome on my car, so it looks fairly decent. They were about half the amount of the body shop's price.

The mirrors work great, except for the camera. When I go to the camera configuration in setup, the lanewatch camera is not listed.

I tried your techniques (thank you again for them), but this is what I get for the lanewatch setup menu:

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help, I think I'm crazy( lanewatch issue) 20210704_075305[1]

You can see the "connection" is yellow, and the "aiming start" is greyed out. Touching the "aiming start" does nothing, nor does pushing the button in the turn signal stalk.

Can I assume there is no connection to the lanewatch camera? I'd like to go back to the seller to correct this, if that's the issue.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I recently replaced my mirror assembly on my 18 Civic Si and was required to calibrate (aim) the side camera before being able to use the camera. I've searched lots of threads and haven't been able to find anything for 10th gen civics so I wanted to share my experience and results.

First, you will have to print the "target" like the dealership uses but on letter size paper. See attachment.
I had to save as .pdf and print it at 150% (actual size of my printed target: 7"x 9 3/8")

Next came accessing the diagnostic screen.
Keep Engine off and turn on accessory to power the media center.
You will then have to press and hold these three buttons simultaneously: (1)Day/night, (2)Audio Power, (3)Menu.
This enters Diagnosis Mode and you will select the lower of two choices, "Detail Information & Setting".
Next select "Functional Setup" and lastly "LaneWatch".
You will notice the the lower box showing red and "NG" or (Not Good) if you haven't yet successfully calibrated. My pic shows "OK and green".
You can then select "Aiming Start" and it will bring up the camera and you can utilize this view to set up your target. (Don't press LaneWatch Switch until ready for it to calibrate.)

I tried using a ladder to hang the target from but it became tedious to change the height based on the clamps I was using. Some have used a music stand or tripod. I used an ez-up canopy in its bag I had sitting in the garage and clamped the target to it while raising/lowering as necessary. Find what works for you.

Here are the measurements that I used to set up my target.
Distance from the ground: 29 1/2" (to bottom of lower border of target)
Distance from camera: 36"
From Side of car door: 15" (centered on lower border of target.)

Since the aiming is based on perspective, Trial and error might apply here as size of target you print may have slight impact. You might be required to move target closer/farther to camera based on print size.
Moving the target closer and farther away from the side of the car door will move your lines closer\ farther to the vehicle.
My first aim calibration ended up with the farthest line off the shoulder of the next lane and in the grass during my test drive (I had the target centered at 18" from side of the car door). The above measurements then brought it to where its supposed to be.

I found placing scrap wood or 2-3 objects behind the car in the "next Lane" (I used my driveway) 1/2 and +1 car length were handy for reference to match to the series of dots on the target. (Ultimately you should see First line - Red = Lower dots, Second line - yellow = Middle dots.) I included an attachment of my car in reverse to show the wood placement w/ blue arrows.

Explanation of lines:
First Line - Red: 1/2 car length behind you
Second Line - Yellow: +1 car length
Third Line - Yellow: +2 car lengths

Once set up, press the LaneWatch Switch on turn signal and it will begin its calibration.
**Screen will flash in succession of the colors below based on the accuracy of target placement.

Yellow "While Aiming No IG-OFF"
Blue "While Aiming IG-OFF is OK"
Red "Aiming Failed"

Yellow to Red = Your target card is way off
Yellow to Blue to Red = Your target placement is almost there
Yellow to Blue to camera image = Congratulations you "did it".

Once completed, use the return / back key to return to main screen and shut off power to car to save settings. I then took it for a test drive to verify. I've included the pics i have to show the scrap wood I used for car length reference and final view of my successful calibration.

Hope this helps and good luck!

20200415_153325.jpg

20200415_155620.jpg

20200415_163712.jpg

20200415_163718.jpg

20200415_163723.jpg

20200415_163728.jpg

Lanewatch Target.jpg
I know this is an old thread but I was digging around in the menus and clicked the damn aiming button and killed my camera.
This post saved my ass! Thanks!

I just used the pic of the target on my phone (at night - daytime was too bright). I sat in the passenger seat with my arm holding my phone out the window and then reached over and pressed the lanewatch button to start the calibration. Voila!