Pitted windshield warranty?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Because I do a lot of highway driving, the windshield meets hard, particulate debris made airborne by semi trailers. As a result it's become pitted all over. 50k kms almost now.

The pits are miniscule and invisible most of the time. But I'm afraid they can become irritating the next summer when the sun is just above the horizon at the time I do most highway driving and the pits will scatter light all over, making them prominent.

I don't recall the 8th gen Civic's windshield getting pitted as easily.

The quality of the windshield seems inferior compared to the 8th gen.

Anyone know of simple solutions or if I can sweet talk a dealer into seeing this as a defect that should be taken care of under warranty?
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you can get over 50k km out of your windshield, you're probably doing better than most. I wouldn't expect this to be covered under warranty.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How can you possibly think this is a defect? Your windshield got damaged by debris.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Do you even have a warranty at 50km?

This is definitely not warranty... but sometimes you get lucky and they cover it.

Here is the first google search result for "windshield polish".

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only time I ever get close to the back of a semi is when I'm passing it. I stay well back just for that very reason. Every little tick sound you hear is another tiny pit. I'm over 50,000 km and only have minor pitting, 95 percent of the mileage is Northern Ontario highway 11 (Kapuskasing area) with very heavy truck traffic.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I doubt warranty would cover this.

Check with your insurance. Most states offer free glass replacements once per year. Otherwise it’s subject to your comprehensive deductible. Doesn’t effect your rates either.

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
How can you possibly think this is a defect? Your windshield got damaged by debris.
Because my old 8th gen Civic both went through the same kind of driving and have more kms but no pitting like this. I don't know how windshields are manufactured, but I've seen other things come off of assembly lines and know that some batches of a manufactured item can fail to meet spec and pass by quality assurance.