SiGeddy

First Name
Geddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I'm looking to make a simple subwoofer upgrade to add a little more bass from the rear.

I found the really only free air woofer that I think would work
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max Power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQTU434/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AcRcEb3HVTV4G

Would something like this be as simple as swapping out the factory sub and calling it a day and would it even have an effect over the factory sub
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My personal experience is that simply changing drivers really doesn't increase bass.

From the experiences posted here; the factory amp signal is kind of devoid of usable bass from the start. Your proposed replacement might deliver a more *accurate* representation of the (weak) signal. And it certainly is capable of handling more power. But it likely will not create anything in addition to what you have now.

If I had to do this; I'd go with one of those small powered boxes that fit in the trunk and run off of the factory signal.

Good luck and please post your results.

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
I replaced my sub with these:

Alpine MRV-M250 250W x 1 Subwoofer Amplifier
Polk DB 842 DVC 8" Dual 4-ohm Component Subwoofer

The sub fit in the original sub box, the amp is hidden with the spare.....nothing shows (to prying eyes) and the sound difference cannot be believed...

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Part of the problem with the subwoofer mounted free-air in the rear deck is that the rear deck isn't sufficiently braced. The metal resonates, and putting a more powerful sub in it only makes it worse. I.e. a subwoofer should be mounted in a stiff baffle that doesn't move in response to the sub's cone moving.

OP
OP
SiGeddy

SiGeddy

First Name
Geddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I hadn't seen anyone else find a factory replacement for the sedan and thought I found the perfect upgrade lol.

Looks like an amp and sub are the only worthwhile replacement available for more bass