Phone call quality issue using Android Auto/Bluetooth

underlined345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX
I tried searching but didn't find much on this particular issue.

I've been having a problem while making calls through both Android Auto and Bluetooth where the people on the receiving end of my calls say that I sound unclear, as though I'm going through a tunnel or underwater, or that they can hear an echo of themselves. Meanwhile the sound on my end (receiver's voice) is perfectly fine. I should also note that I did not have this issue with my previous car (2012 Toyota Corolla).

Upon contacting my dealership's support, I was referred to this site to check my phone's (Google Pixel) compatibility: http://handsfreelink.com/Honda/en-U...rid=106&manufacturerid=1002&showfeatures=true

They said that since my phone is running Android OS 8.1, my phone isn't fully supported and that is the reason why calls are not clear. I asked them if that meant that any future phone I get would face this same issue and they said that it is a valid concern.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if this is possibly a valid reason for poor call quality. Any solutions would also be welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have been having this issue as well... Did you get this solved?

danmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 CR-V EX, '17 Civic Touring, '14 Ford Explorer
Country flag
We had a terrible time with that in my wife's 2017 civic touring. The speaker phone was essentially unusable. Her Dad couldn't understand her and I couldn't get off the phone fast enough if she called from the car (and I *like* talking to my wife). It was *way* worse than any of the 15 different rental cars we had driven over the last few years and *way* worse than a $70 aftermarket radio with hands free mic in our '98 CR-V. We had 2 different dealers try to claim it was just normal road noise. It wasn't (see "15 rental cars"). We finally went back again (for about the 4th or 5th time) and told them we were leaving the car (still under warranty) and not picking it back up until they fixed it. We had tried complaining directly to Honda and were told that they wouldn't do anything unless the complaint came from a dealer.

So... the dealer ended up replacing the whole electronics unit. And amazingly for the last 4 days the problem has been gone. What I don't know is why this fixed it. I can think of at least 3 possibilities. 1) there was failed or faulty by design hardware between the microphone and where the signal gets digitized. 2) the new electronics unit has different firmware and/or software 3) reset user settings. Not sure which but we have talked about 60-90 minutes now and it is clearly much much better. We haven't had a chance to try with wipers going yet. We'll see if it stays fixed.

Anyway, I suggest not taking "no" for an answer and if the vehicle is under warranty then really push on the dealer. One thing I wish I had done is to make recordings from our home phone of what it sounded like under a controlled situation. For example go out at night without traffic and drive at a known speed on a known section of highway. The dealer claimed to not be able to reproduce it but I suspect they didn't bother pairing a phone and then driving while having someone on the other end listen. We had this problem with 3 different Samsung Galaxy S-8 android phones both when using bluetooth to connect and when using android auto over usb to connect.

Good luck. It is frustrating for sure. This is our 7th and last Honda. Last because of the horrible service we got from Honda on trying to get stuff working on a brand new car. The voice commands for USB audio still don't work, never have.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I'm having the same issue. By the electronics unit, do you mean the whole touchscreen/head unit? Did they also replace the microphone?

shrilankamak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Country flag
Regarding your concern about Android OS compatibility, it's possible that older versions of Android may have some limitations when paired with certain car systems. However, it's not necessarily a problem that will persist with future phone upgrades, as newer Android versions often come with improved compatibility and features. As for solutions, you might want to consider checking for software updates for both your phone and your car's infotainment system. Sometimes, these updates can address compatibility issues and improve call quality. Additionally, if you're interested in exploring ACD solutions to enhance your call management, you can find more information here: https://www.mightycall.com/features/automatic-call-distribution/.
Sponsored

Last edited: