People were wrong about the 2020 Supra...

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It's a cool car but to call it a Supra was a mistake in my opinion. Call it anything but a Supra. If it was a Toyota engine and body at least. What I dont get is why? Toyota has all the resources necessary to make a Supra. It makes no sense, just like the Ford/Chevy 10spd trans.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Lots and lots of opinions...everyone has them. No one here is an automobile designer or manufacturer; leave that to the pros. Now, carry on a go back to driving the Honda.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i made a thread just now, but i was at dealer buying car for gf and some dude bought a supra for 90k...my dads bmw has the same engine i think and was like 3/4's the price and convertible...

to me, the old school 90's engines japan made were unbeatable (except the magical spinning triangle that no one knows how to fix). the VQ engine, the 4g63, the STi motor that is still being used (lol) and the supra of course (is it 2jz?)

new cars like 350z with renault engine and supra with bimmer engine just makes me sad. sure its a great engine but its not unique. have you ever heard nissan sylvia engine? skyline engine? look it up. They rezzed those classic jcars (86, supra, rx8 lol, supra, evo x, 370z) because the original datsuns and in house wenkels or 4 cylinder huge turbo craziness was so unique and fun...

but now you get to buy a 90k m4 toyota without the toyota part that we liked instead of a 70k m4 bmw convertible because the old supra engine is what no one wanted smh /rant /sarcasm

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lots and lots of opinions...everyone has them. No one here is an automobile designer or manufacturer; leave that to the pros. Now, carry on a go back to driving the Honda.
its a good business move, much like mazda 3 having ford focus engines (letting for buy the majority stock). You get an already made engine and the reputation of not ford.

Also great for startups or small (ariel) companies. but the supra??

translation: the supra is shadow of the legendary sports car, now with safe, fun, but ultimately soulless concept at its core. We loved that engine, and therefore the car. Now ppl love the car and compliment the decent engine...

But if you want pedigree you could get a shelby cobra (probably) for that money. Or ya know...the freaking gorgeous, LSwhatever powered corvette. OR THE BMW ITSELF

hey its a toyota itll last 200k miles just like those 86 corollas...with subaru...engines...because lower center of gravity means...the PRIUS tires can break loose and itll...slide the same.............????...but hey at least its the new boxer engine that the Sti...doesnt have...

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a cool car but to call it a Supra was a mistake in my opinion. Call it anything but a Supra. If it was a Toyota engine and body at least. What I dont get is why? Toyota has all the resources necessary to make a Supra. It makes no sense, just like the Ford/Chevy 10spd trans.
didnt know about the chevy ten speed. But at least the LS corvette engines makes it a real corvette

but man youre so wrong, ppl loved the 90's supra cuz it looked cool, no one cared about the engi....wait...oh yeah thats completely backwards.

Do these companies forget everything that failed? I swear we gonna get a mitsubishi 3000 with a dodge hemi instead because people sure thought the 3000 looked cool, itll succeed if we take away the thing that was the only real reason people bought it. Its like movie reboots at this point. Here comes the mazda RX9 with a brand new electric motor. Whats RX mean? it means prescription for panties and booty. Fast and furious vin diesal nos car!...why did his sound like it was powered by a propeller tho? derp

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
people still are hung up by the name supra.

this isn't 30 years ago. get over it.

also there are a bunch of people who has gotten it for MSRP not 90k like some idiot that you ran into paid.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
i made a thread just now, but i was at dealer buying car for gf and some dude bought a supra for 90k...my dads bmw has the same engine i think and was like 3/4's the price and convertible...

to me, the old school 90's engines japan made were unbeatable (except the magical spinning triangle that no one knows how to fix). the VQ engine, the 4g63, the STi motor that is still being used (lol) and the supra of course (is it 2jz?)

new cars like 350z with renault engine and supra with bimmer engine just makes me sad. sure its a great engine but its not unique. have you ever heard nissan sylvia engine? skyline engine? look it up. They rezzed those classic jcars (86, supra, rx8 lol, supra, evo x, 370z) because the original datsuns and in house wenkels or 4 cylinder huge turbo craziness was so unique and fun...

but now you get to buy a 90k m4 toyota without the toyota part that we liked instead of a 70k m4 bmw convertible because the old supra engine is what no one wanted smh /rant /sarcasm
Whoever bought a Supra for 90k is certifiably stupid, and shouldn't be used as an example of why it does't live up to it's predecessor. On the east coast at least, there are MANY dealers selling the Supra at MSRP, so whoever bought it for 90k has a negative IQ. The fact is, with crossovers taking most of the market these days and sports cars sales drastically reducing, it did not make sense for Toyota to develop a whole new engine/drivetrain for a car that is not a volume seller, and chances are it would have been way more expensive if they did. Plus Inline 6 engines are BMW's bread and butter, it sounds good, and a teardown by a legendary Toyota tuner shows that the B58 is capable of huge numbers on the stock block, much like the MK4 Supra was. So what's not to like? Sure the engine isn't by Toyota but i'm glad that we got a Supra at all.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Whoever bought a Supra for 90k is certifiably stupid, and shouldn't be used as an example of why it does't live up to it's predecessor. On the east coast at least, there are MANY dealers selling the Supra at MSRP, so whoever bought it for 90k has a negative IQ. The fact is, with crossovers taking most of the market these days and sports cars sales drastically reducing, it did not make sense for Toyota to develop a whole new engine/drivetrain for a car that is not a volume seller, and chances are it would have been way more expensive if they did. Plus Inline 6 engines are BMW's bread and butter, it sounds good, and a teardown by a legendary Toyota tuner shows that the B58 is capable of huge numbers on the stock block, much like the MK4 Supra was. So what's not to like? Sure the engine isn't by Toyota but i'm glad that we got a Supra at all.
an affordable one at that. I'm glad it's priced at an amount where i'd be able to obtain one. If it was like the GTR/NSX money, it would not be a car i'd be able to get.

imagine if they built a supra that costed like the GTR/NSX. What would people say then?
No matter what they did, you wouldn't have been able to please everyone.People will always find something to complain about. That is the internet.

The only downside is the lack of manual transmission. That's it imo.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok so not everyone is chromosome 23 trisomy haha.

and dont get me wrong my parents have had bmw's since the z3, its a great car. The freaking m4 is just ggaaahahhahha

BUT its the purity issue to me. I hated my FR-S. It was a go kart sure, but a scion subaru made half by toyota was nothing like driving an actual 86 (i drove an 85 with an engine swap or smthg i think but whatever). I learned to drive on an rx7, then went to a vw passat when it was an audi a4 and it was great. Then the minivan 350z renault Nissan quest was a mistake. I learned and bought a 98 celica roadster and EVO X. I blew up my evo and bought an sti. It was a dinosaur but it was THE boxer engine of dreams with that turbo. and NOW my friggin civic is blowing my mind. made by honda right? if not, then ill gladly concede my point.

Huge numbers are great, so is b58 straight six, but id buy an old supra over this one any day. Why? because im telling you, it FEELS different. Go to a car show and drive/ride in a supra. itll make the b58 feel smooth to the point of boring. precision german conservative reliable fast and boring imo. (which is why i run maperformance tune over tsp btw)

srsly do yourself a favor and drive a dogleg porsche 914 targa and floor it the whole time. youll hate the boxter for life. Ferrari 550 berchetta will absolutely RUIN an audi R8 for you. Ive been in a W8 passat, I imagine koenigsegg is more enjoyable than bugatti cheron for the reason that it doesnt use two vw engines and instead builds its own 1400hp engine. or an Evo IX holy hell...nothing can replace that character. look at my sig.

/rant lol, im mad at the car industry because theres no car id get between type r and gtr

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
an affordable one at that. I'm glad it's priced at an amount where i'd be able to obtain one. If it was like the GTR/NSX money, it would not be a car i'd be able to get.

imagine if they built a supra that costed like the GTR/NSX. What would people say then?
No matter what they did, you wouldn't have been able to please everyone.People will always find something to complain about. That is the internet.

The only downside is the lack of manual transmission. That's it imo.
its not offered in manual............................................? srsly?

and we will see about the new nsx. I have faith in honda though.

I would buy a supra for 35k TOPS.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yes it's not. It really is unfortunate but that's the way cars are going. The new Corvette doesn't have a MT. Neither does a GTR and NSX. Porsche realized the mistake and brought back the manual in the GT3.

you ain't buying a supra for 35k when a brz premium cost 30k+. Even a miata is like 35k for the top of the line model.

This isn't 1990s anymore when you were able to buy a 240sx for 12k brand new.
and of course the car would feel different. Your comparing a 30 year old car to a brand new car. Technology has advanced a lot in 30 years.
Stop living in the past. I grew up in the "golden ages" of japanese cars where FD, R34s, S13s, Supra was great but times has changed.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it's not. It really is unfortunate but that's the way cars are going. The new Corvette doesn't have a MT. Neither does a GTR and NSX. Porsche realized the mistake and brought back the manual in the GT3.

you ain't buying a supra for 35k when a brz premium cost 30k+. Even a miata is like 35k for the top of the line model.

This isn't 1990s anymore when you were able to buy a 240sx for 12k brand new.
and of course the car would feel different. Your comparing a 30 year old car to a brand new car. Technology has advanced a lot in 30 years.
Stop living in the past. I grew up in the "golden ages" of japanese cars where FD, R34s, S13s, Supra was great but times has changed.
Just curious, was a Supra back then the same price with inflation?

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also I saw msrp 50k. Damn. I’m saving up for a gtr at that point.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Just curious, was a Supra back then the same price with inflation?
iirc the turbo supra back then msrped for like 45k. The non turbos were like 30k.

Also I saw msrp 50k. Damn. I’m saving up for a gtr at that point.
Eh, i love nissans (i do own a nismo 370) but GTRs are just too old of a car now and the price has significantly jumped (assuming buying brand new). Even the lowest gtr trim is like 100k now. That's 40k more than a supra. I don't think people would really be cross shopping these 2 when looking at new cars.

I see people do this all the time but it's unfair to compare used car prices to new car prices. The used car will always have the advantage.
Sponsored