People were wrong about the 2020 Supra...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
its a b58 but yeah. Sounds good, looks good (imo), and seems like it is fun to drive.

Either way, we'd probably have to wait for the mark up to die down like the ctr lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Update: Supra is found to have WAY more than the advertised 335 horsepower and 365 pound feet of torque. Car and Driver dyno tested the supra at 339 WHP and 427 WTQ. Keep in mind this is at the WHEELS so the crank horsepower/torque would be about 400 horsepower and 500 pound feet of torque when you factor in the 15% drivetrain loss. That is a ridiculous power difference anyway you look at it, and is another reason why this BMW partnership is not a bad thing at all, they know what they're doing. The B58 is shaping up to be more and more of a modern 2JZ everyday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27543113/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-horsepower/

Last edited:

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Update: Supra is found to have WAY more than the advertised 335 horsepower and 365 pound feet of torque. Car and Driver dyno tested the supra at 339 WHP and 427 WTQ. Keep in mind this is at the WHEELS so the crank horsepower/torque would be about 400 horsepower and 500 pound feet of torque when you factor in the 15% drivetrain loss. That is a ridiculous power difference anyway you look at it, and is another reason why this BMW partnership is not a bad thing at all, they know what they're doing. The B58 is shaping up to be more and more of a modern 2JZ everyday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27543113/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-horsepower/
You can’t escape the obvious.

Would folks buy a Mustang built by Hyundai?

How about the Porsche Cayman built by Dodge?

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You can’t escape the obvious.

Would folks buy a Mustang built by Hyundai?

How about the Porsche Cayman built by Dodge?
Been over this already, don't know why you keep asking the same question. Partnership was to keep costs down in a market dominated by crossovers, they knew a Supra wouldn't be a volume seller. It was probably the only way a Supra was even feasible, rather have this from Toyota than nothing at all. Back when MK4 Supra was selling, market was completely different.

But to answer, if the car is good then why the hell not? If you're the kind of person to let metal badges control what you buy then cool. I for one could care less about that. If it's a good car then i'm interested, simple.

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatchback; 2016 Pilot LX
Country flag
I think Toyota has marketed this car wrong and has left the fans out of it. The Supra was a icon. A Toyota made icon. Fans love the fact that it was all japanese and not jap/euro combo that it is today. Toyota might’ve wanted partnership sourcing it’s engine instead of doing R&D I believe because they’re trying to commercialize (luxury sport instead of enthusiast sport) the car to the new generation. Which sucks because, the fans are left out. I am seriously hoping that Toyota has an engine for their Supra’s next gen, they just released this to buy time.

I am also not downplaying the Supra’s capability as an automobile of this generation. Just stating my speculation on the marketing side of things.

Although my dream car is a Z4, I wouldn’t mind getting it in the form of a Toyota. Also, there’s the type-R, which is $10k-$15k cheaper.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
In 1991 a friend of mine but 1984 Lincoln mark 7 it had a BMW turbocharged diesel six which was very rare it
After owning it for a few months we realize why it was rare parts very expensive and was very hard to fix your friend took it to a Lincoln dealership and they didn’t want to look at it my friend sold it to a neighbor and it sat in their backyard for years these exotic projects don’t work remember the Isuzu impulse with the lotus suspension that didn’t work either

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
In 1991 a friend of mine but 1984 Lincoln mark 7 it had a BMW turbocharged diesel six which was very rare it
After owning it for a few months we realize why it was rare parts very expensive and was very hard to fix your friend took it to a Lincoln dealership and they didn’t want to look at it my friend sold it to a neighbor and it sat in their backyard for years these exotic projects don’t work remember the Isuzu impulse with the lotus suspension that didn’t work either
Exactly! Couldn’t have said it better.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Exactly! Couldn’t have said it better.
No comparison at all...the b58 is being used in almost every single bmw at the moment so it isn't "rare" at all. This isn't some exotic project either, its a pretty simple partnership tbh, your story from 28 years ago just doesnt apply at all.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No comparison at all...the b58 is being used in almost every single bmw at the moment so it isn't "rare" at all. This isn't some exotic project either, its a pretty simple partnership tbh, your story from 28 years ago just doesnt apply at all.
We’ll see what the future is on this car
History does repeat it self

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
this is very polarizing...on the one hand, I hate the fact that the heart of the beast is a BMW, but the other hand, the performance is mind boggling!! I still prefer a Japanese engineer tho. We will be reading more about this new Zupra soon. I know a sales manager at Toyota...hoping I can get a test drive with him... :)

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it true that Nissan is making their inline six again? If so why can’t Toyota

MR. TwoSix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe, 2018 Ram 1500
Country flag
The fact of the matter is that Toyota already had a sporty car in their lineup that they could've used for this project. The Lexus RC Coupe. They could just shortened the chassis and then used whatever engine they wanted, even the V8 in the "F". In my eyes the Supra was never a sports car to begin with, it was a GT car, "Grand Tourer". The Lexus RC is the spiritual successor to the Supra, period. This new "Supra" is probably more worthy of the "Celica" nameplate.

People are like,"the chassis is incredibly stiff due to Toyota engineering", the chassis was designed to accommodate a convertible car first. All purpose built convertible cars have increased rigidity built into their chassis due to having no fixed roof. Which is why Nissan designed the 370Z as a convertible first, this allowed them to transfer over the increased rigidity to the standard hardtop versions. Toyota was just lazy, and after 10 years in the making this is a poor result. People will buy it for the name but I'd rather take a Porsche or Corvette.

At least when Mazda and FIAT teamed up on the Miata and Spider. They both went with their own drivetrain options. Mazda went NA with their new lightweight transmission and FIAT went with the engine out of the 500 Abarth and the transmission from the NC as it could handle the stress of the torque that the little turbocharged engine was pushing out.

The 2JZ-GE was used in the Lexus IS300 through 2005. That was the last inline six Toyota produced. So lets say 7 years removed from the beginning of the development of the new Supra/FT-1 Concept(2012). Toyota could've if they wanted to.

Last edited:

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exactly. It's not a matter of can't for Toyota, it's just because they chose not to.
Well I’ve seen these exotic projects between two different car manufacturers before and experience it with my friends Lincoln personally Toyota should just stick with Toyota on the Supra
Sponsored