People were wrong about the 2020 Supra...

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
So I watched a couple of videos that dropped today where a lot of people reviewed the 2020 Supra and most of them are overwhelmingly positive. I've seen people hating on this car for a LONG time now and people trash talking it's BMW engine and how it isn't a "real" supra. But from what i'm seeing from everyone, the car is great. The B58 engine from BMW apparently went through rigorous testing by Toyota so that it lived up to it's reliability standards, and pretty much every other aspect of the car was individually tuned by Toyota. IMO, I don't mind the BMW engine because literally no one makes inline-6 engines anymore, so it made sense to partner with BMW because it would have been too expensive for them to develop an entirely new engine for just one car. Driving experience wise, all the videos i've seen about it seem to indicate that the car is amazing in every aspect, and some even referred to it as a "budget" Porsche. What do you guys think?

Also this video seems to summarize how I feel about the car:

Sponsored

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Ehhhh pretty sure that BMW engines timing chain is on the back where the firewall is. NO thank you.....

Also note it should of had a new Toyota engineered engine. Not a BMW. Hit and MISS for Toyota.

Side note I saw 8 of them in a pack going down a local highway the other day.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
These ventures don’t turn out well after a while they just get pushed to a dark corner and then forgotten a coworker which is the mechanic for the delivery trucks told me he read about the new Supra and try to like it but he can’t get pass the BMW involvement especially when he looks at his pristine 1998 TOYOTA Supra sitting in his garage

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ehhhh pretty sure that BMW engines timing chain is on the back where the firewall is. NO thank you.....

Also note it should of had a new Toyota engineered engine. Not a BMW. Hit and MISS for Toyota.

Side note I saw 8 of them in a pack going down a local highway the other day.
These ventures don’t turn out well after a while they just get pushed to a dark corner and then forgotten a coworker which is the mechanic for the delivery trucks told me he read about the new Supra and try to like it but he can’t get pass the BMW involvement especially when he looks at his pristine 1998 TOYOTA Supra sitting in his garage
Timing chains don't need to be replaced unless something is physically wrong with it, while timing belts need to be replaced every 60-100K miles depending on the car. In fact, a lot of manufacturers guarantee the Timing chain to be with the car for it's lifetime, not sure if BMW does that though.

About the engine, as I said in my post, Toyota could not have made their own drivetrain for the Supra because they have been out of making inline 6 engines for 20 years, they would have had to develop an entirely new engine just for one car which is a pipe dream in a market that is dominated by crossovers. The Supra's price would have been driven up way beyond it's very reasonable $50K starting price. Partnering with BMW was the only way they could have made the Supra and the car seems to to drive (and sound) amazing from everything i've seen, so I don't see the issue.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Timing chains don't need to be replaced unless something is physically wrong with it, while timing belts need to be replaced every 60-100K miles depending on the car. In fact, a lot of manufacturers guarantee the Timing chain to be with the car for it's lifetime, not sure if BMW does that though.

About the engine, as I said in my post, Toyota could not have made their own drivetrain for the Supra because they have been out of making inline 6 engines for 20 years, they would have had to develop an entirely new engine just for one car which is a pipe dream in a market that is dominated by crossovers. The Supra's price would have been driven up way beyond it's very reasonable $50K starting price. Partnering with BMW was the only way they could have made the Supra and the car seems to to drive (and sound) amazing from everything i've seen, so I don't see the issue.

I've been working on cars for 14yrs, lol I know chains don't need to be replaced nearly as often as belts. BUT mechanical parts DO fail. When that chain tensioner goes bad or a guide breaks that whole motor must be pulled to fix it. They could of easily put one of their V6 engines in there tuned up and would of kept cost down and a true Toyota.

At the end of the day it's a beautiful polished German turd for 50k.

Again

No thank you.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I've been working on cars for 14yrs, lol I know chains don't need to be replaced nearly as often as belts. BUT mechanical parts DO fail. When that chain tensioner goes bad or a guide breaks that whole motor must be pulled to fix it. They could of easily put one of their V6 engines in there tuned up and would of kept cost down and a true Toyota.

At the end of the day it's a beautiful polished German turd for 50k.

Again

No thank you.
To each his own. I'm taking a inline 6 even if its from BMW over a Toyota V6 every single day of the week, a V6 in a Supra is a bigger crime than having a BMW inline 6 imo. If the Supra really handles and performs as well as they say it does, for $50K you're getting a lot of car for the money.

I used to buy into the whole "german turd" nonsense I used to hear, until I started to own German cars and realized that they're rock solid reliable if you take care of them. Modern BMW's have been nothing but reliable from what i've seen on car forums, people I know, and my personal ownership experience. They do cost more to maintain, but it's never done me wrong. Honestly, I hope people look at the Supra the way you do because that just means the depreciation will be even more and I can snag one for a good price once I'm ready to buy another vehicle ;).

A civic Type R is less than 50k and it’s all HONDA
And a Honda fit is "all Honda" for under $20K, whats your point? Honda had TONS of parts at their disposal for the Type R, whereas Toyota would have had to develop an entirely new engine with the platform for them to make what you're saying possible. Not at all the same thing.

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
A civic Type R is less than 50k and it’s all HONDA
Yea. But, Honda took a hatchback and sprinkled hotboi fast parts. The K20 is still being produce and the turbo version was used on the previous European CTR.

Whereas, Toyota would have to develop a new chassis and engine that would cost them hundreds of million of dollars.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what you’re saying is a top selling auto manufacturer for years Toyota can’t make a affordable sport car on their own without help. Some companies learn from these mistakes Honda did with sterling

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
To each his own. I'm taking a inline 6 even if its from BMW over a Toyota V6 every single day of the week, a V6 in a Supra is a bigger crime than having a BMW inline 6 imo. If the Supra really handles and performs as well as they say it does, for $50K you're getting a lot of car for the money.
yeah. a bmw inline 6 > toyota V6 for sure.

So what you’re saying is a top selling auto manufacturer for years Toyota can’t make a affordable sport car on their own without help. Some companies learn from these mistakes Honda did with sterling
i'm pretty sure they can. If they did though, the car probably would not come at this price point. Do you want a 150k supra to compete with the GTR / NSX prices where a lot of us here would not be able to buy? I welcome the 50-60k price point because that's actually something i'd be able to afford. Now, it would be hard for me to buy it currently because of the lack of 6MT. That's where they dropped the ball imo.

I just stopped thinking of this as a "supra" and a sports car that toyota made. If you just stop thinking about the fact that this is the new "supra", it's actually a great car.
If they didn't call this a supra, noone would be going nuts. Everyones image of a supra is the Mark 4 and people can't wrap their heads around the fact that an iconic car in the tuner industry is using a powerplant from a different company.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ll say this whoever wants the new Japanese/German Supra go ahead and get it for 50k and years later when you can’t get parts are their to expensive for that once again joint venture project sitting in the garage like many of them from the past

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
OP, please stop embarassing yourself. No car company on the planet can compete with Toyota quality and here you are trying to defend a BMW Supra? You lose. You can have your opinions, fine.

Question - hows toyota resale value?

Question - hows BMW resale value?

Now why is that? Dont even try with this garbage. This supra is a bad joke.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has a properly tuned exhaust note for sure, unlike the CTR stock exhaust.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I’ll say this whoever wants the new Japanese/German Supra go ahead and get it for 50k and years later when you can’t get parts are their to expensive for that once again joint venture project sitting in the garage like many of them from the past
even if i did get it, i don't think i would keep them that long to the point where you can't get parts for it. It's not a collectors car or anything. Drive the shit out of it, enjoy it, and move on to the next one.

either way, there is no MT option so although i like the car, i'm not buying it lol. Definitely going to drive one to see how it feels though.

It has a properly tuned exhaust note for sure, unlike the CTR stock exhaust.
yeah, it sounds like a ......... BMW :p
BMWs do sound impressive (aside from the S55). It also sounds much better than a CTR ever will. The pops and crackles of the exhaust adds to the fun too.