People tailgating a lot more in the Type R.

1. GraphiteAZ

GraphiteAZ Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    Can confirm, this is real. I get tailgated and rubber necked badly.

Vanct thanked this.
  2. Jwolf

Jwolf Member

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    I don't feel like this is a problem. Move out of the person's way or speed up.

xbbnx thanked this.
  3. WhatThePuck

WhatThePuck Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 Acura Rsx, '19 CW CTR 23909
    I noticed that tailgating happened less when I got the flashing brake lights. On occasion there will be that one dingbat who does it anyway and sometimes if I'm at a stop and the person keeps creeping up on my tail I hit the brakes a couple more times to flash the lights at them lol

4. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    i live in Los Angeles area and commute in LA traffic. Tailgating happens no matter what car I drive. Just lane change and move out of the way as it's better to not get involve with people that's impatient.

"Trolling" a guy by driving slower is a good way to introduce road rage and put yourself in possible danger. It's not worth it.

xbbnx, MonkeyConQueso, Vanct and 3 others thanked this.
  5. Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Toyota RAV4
    Bingo! Let them drive like an asshole and be the bait for any lurking cops. I’ve seen it happen multiple times and it’s amazingly hilarious to watch them slam on the brakes when they realize a cop was there, only for the cop to light em up anyways.

If people want to pass you they will pass you, legality be damned. I’ve been passed on double solid yellows before going 5 over the limit. Dude wanted to go 20 over I guess.

Vanct thanked this.
  6. Hayabusa160

Hayabusa160 Senior Member

First Name:
    Matthew
    Car(s):
    Civic type r
    i notice the same, its pretty annoying.
    i had a guy pass me this morning on the opposite lane, im already going 5 over the limit.
    one time some woman almost rear ended me because im accelerating too slow for her lol i went to shift into 2nd and i hear honking and her suv nose dive.

7. ExVTEC

ExVTEC Senior Member

First Name:
    Elliot
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR
    I get people rushing up to see if it's a real type r. I had a 2.0 Civic blast by me wanting to race the other day and a new Camry do 70 in a 40 trying to get me to race. Nope, not worth the ticket.

repeet, fiend busa and 87elco thanked this.
  8. Fountainhead

Fountainhead Senior Member

First Name:
    ray
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Type R
    What I hate are the giant pickup trucks that get like 2" from your bumper. Repeatedly. Every light.....
    Guys with big trucks apparently have issues with sports cars. I don't understand it.

When I was a kid I had an MG Midget, some redneck in a lifted cowboy cadillac got on my ass hard on a 2 lane, I sped up and took this curve I'd taken 1000x at high speeds and he nearly killed himself before he realized he was going to flip over at that speed. I still feel kinda bad for tricking him like that.
    MG Midget=Go Kart.

WhatThePuck, repeet and ExVTEC thanked this.
  9. brocat

brocat New Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Type-R
    This definitely happens to me more in the Type-R. I also have a F-150, and I drive them both about evenly. I don't have this issue in my truck. Happens all the time in the CTR.

repeet and Vanct thanked this.
  10. fiend busa

fiend busa Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Yeah - I noticed that too

I'd be on the highway, passing like a 10th gen Si and they'll come all over my lane and stay behind me lol. Unless it's another Type R, I pretend I don't see them because I don't want a ticket lol.

I remember I had a car once pull next to me and start revving constantly, I sat through the red light the whole time pretending I didn't notice them lol :D

11. Caestus

Caestus Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    19 Civic Type R
    I absolutely get tailgated a ton more than I did in my Jeep Cherokee. It's rather interesting.

I always use turn signals in Miami (Which is basically a dying trend here) and I upgraded to really bright LEDs and they help keep people off my back a little bit when I am turning at lights but not as much.

I don't understand why some people follow so closely though, it's just asking for an accident to happen. I think some of you hit the nail on the head... some are just angry about the looks, and others are just jealous. I also think some people do not know what a manual transmission is...

Some simply do not know what the Type R is and see the "Civic" on the back and probably think we are "childish ricers" I always get Hyundai Sonotas and smaller cars that floor their car to accelerate faster than me. I usually always accelerate normally, shift at 3500 RPMs etc. It let's them get a sense of satisfaction I suppose.

So it is one of three things that happens, I get tailgated (most of the time) I get people trying to go against me from a dig in crappy cars *sometimes nice cars* (not that frequently but noticable) or I get thumbs up

repeet and Vanct thanked this.
  12. Dragnet

Dragnet Senior Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
    Lots of times you can't.

13. IceyD

IceyD Senior Member

First Name:
    Zachary
    Car(s):
    Champ White CTR 2018
    what makes me sad is when people peel off the line at a stop light to get ahead of you, only to end up going the speed limit after the merge.

i want lead position for all the twistys up ahead =[

14. Jwolf

Jwolf Member

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Can't what? Speed up or move out of the way?

If you can't move out of the way then you speed up, if you can't speed up then you move out of the way. If you can't do either, then there is a good chance that person "tailgating" you can't either.

The CTR doesn't have a problem with being tailgated, it's the bad drivers driving behind you and your attention to the fact that they are driving behind you making you think that.

Every forum has this exact same topic because people are very enthusiastic about thinking their car is all that, but it just not be like that. (Don't get me wrong, I love the CTR).

xbbnx thanked this.
  15. aldksgo

aldksgo Senior Member

Software Support Engineer
    First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 R-24920, '14 Civic EX Sedan Manual
    It's been one week with my CTR and I definitely notice this. I've been seeing more sport hatches and SI rush up on my ass so I move over and they match speed but I just ignore them. Usually while cruising 120km/h on the highway as well. I've never had anyone try to bait me into a race before so it's funny, but not trying to get a ticket.

Slowest type R driver in Ottawa here :)

repeet thanked this.