First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Wow you're moving real quick with this.

Hopefully I see you at a track day soon I'd like to hear your thoughts about the LSD change
Sponsored

Drew03

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t tell from the pictures. What type of strut bar do you have on there?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Chapter ??? - (Saving space)

Just got back from the track. Superrr tired. Car was a straight beast. We managed to do close to 15 sessions in one day. I'll update this post later after my slumber. haha.

Last edited:

Hooligan317

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 ZCP, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Are the JRZ's too hardcore for daily street use? I know that isn't your use case here, but I'm curious if you think they have enough adjustability to perform double duty.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are the JRZ's too hardcore for daily street use? I know that isn't your use case here, but I'm curious if you think they have enough adjustability to perform double duty.
Hmm... this is kind of a complicated answer but I'll try anyways...haha.

I think whether or not the JRZ is too hardcore or not is dependent on the individual. For example, I find myself having an extremely high tolerance for discomfort while driving the car.

With that said, I think it's doable. Our spring rates are pretty aggressive and set up for the track but i still find myself being ok with not trailering the car there. But once again, I think that has more to do with my extremely high tolerance for discomfort.

On a slightly unrelated note, I find myself falling into the belief that you can't really have a great track car that is also great on the street. It's either or. Coilover systems belong on a track car. If you're not an avid track rat, my advice would be to stay away from coilovers. If you want that lowered look, add a lowering spring but anything beyond that is just not worth the trouble / discomfort. Besides, the oem system is more than capable.

Last edited:

flipnrr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r - 2004 S2000
Country flag

I think whether or not the JRZ is too hardcore or not is dependent on the individual. For example, I find myself having an extremely high tolerance for discomfort while driving the car.

With that said, I think it's doable. Our spring rates are pretty aggressive and set up for the track but i still find myself being ok with not trailering the car there. But once again, I think that has more to do with my extremely high tolerance for discomfort.

On a slightly unrelated note, I find myself falling into the belief that you can't really have a great track car that is also great on the street. It's either or. Coilover systems belong on a track car. If you're not an avid track rat, my advice would be to stay away from coilovers. If you want that lowered look, add a lowering spring but anything beyond that is just not worth the trouble / discomfort. The oem system is more than capable.
that is a good point there and i attest to this cuz i too been ask the same questions about the HKS. compare to the JRZ which is more aggressive since the Hipermax is still labeled as street/track i still try to explain my thoughts but any coilover system will dramatically change driver feel and at the end of the day it all comes down to the purpose and tolerance.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter ??? - June 15 - TRACKKKK DAYYYYY at Laguna Seca

First off, I'd like to again say thanks to all the guys at Elite Performance. Holy cow. What a crew. Allow me to elaborate...

I told them about two weeks before that I had a track day coming up and that I wanted some mods installed before then. Now mind you, these are not small ticket items. Anyways, all my parts came in except for my exhaust which was delayed so I ended up dropping the car off about 5 days before the track day. No problem. The guys at Elite worked endlessly to get everything buttoned up and ready. Sometimes staying up as late as 1:30 in the morning. They even mounted tires on the new ZE40's I had picked up and brought them to track for me so that I would have an extra set of wheels to run on.

Some of the mods we installed this time:

- JRZ RS PRO 3's
- OS GILKEN LSD
- Eibach Front and Rear Sway bars
- HASPORT Full Engine Mounts - 83A
- Hondata
- Teknocraft Full Carbon Fiber Seats
- Schroth ASM Profis
- Matte Blue ZE40's with Nankang AR-1's

Anyways, we get to the track and for the first half of the day, we spent just feeling out the car. When the afternoon hit, we switched to my secondary set of wheels with the new Nankang AR-1's. This allowed for us to do a direct comparison between the Nankang AR-1's and the Yokohama A052s.

They are both amazing tires. The AR-1's actually felt like it had better turn in than the A052's. They're also a lot cheaper so I think moving forward, I'm probably going to run the AR-1's.

But back onto the car and how it performed. It was actually really amazing on track. The car feels super direct and in control. It's very communicative and will tell you when you're closer to the limit. There was however some issues. For one, there was still a bit of understeer, which I think we can fix by stiffening up the rear. The laguna pipe we made for the car also kept falling off. And with a passenger, my rear wheels were rubbing to the point of smoking so we got meatballed a couple of times. Other than that, the car did really well. We ran close to 15 sessions in the car that day and ended up with a time of 1.47 (me driving) and 1.41 (friend driving).

I know the times aren't the best but before you go judging ... let me tell you something. After the track day, we found out that you actually had to upload a tune to the car for the hondata (sorry, kind of new to this hondata stuff). Simply put, the times we were hitting, we hit when the car wasn't even running right. Just blows my mind what sort of potential the car has.

Can't wait to go back!!! In the meantime, here are some pics:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 5ahcrS

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street K69lCO

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 4GGRoT

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uQZmRM

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street MqqDDY

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 5zqkTS

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street NZanT0

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street am6Pba

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Those seats look wild! How comfy are they?

flipnrr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r - 2004 S2000
Country flag
nice! car is looking great. bro that thing turned out to be a full blown track monster!

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice setup. :thumbsup: Do you have footage of the track session? No editing needed, just raw footage with sound would be awesome. :drive:

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice setup. :thumbsup: Do you have footage of the track session? No editing needed, just raw footage with sound would be awesome. :drive:
haha unfortunately not. My little sister still has my gopro. I have a upcoming track day on Monday, 6/24/19, so i'll see if i can borrow a friend's gopro.

Hooligan317

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 ZCP, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

On a slightly unrelated note, I find myself falling into the belief that you can't really have a great track car that is also great on the street. It's either or. Coilover systems belong on a track car. If you're not an avid track rat, my advice would be to stay away from coilovers. If you want that lowered look, add a lowering spring but anything beyond that is just not worth the trouble / discomfort. Besides, the oem system is more than capable.
Appreciate the feedback, makes perfect sense. As much as I'd like to set up the R for track day hero status, it's my DD so it doesn't make sense to go to extremes haha.

FK8_Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8 Type R, Volvo V40 D4 R Design, Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost
Country flag
Car looks fantastic mate, regarding the seats what did you do about the lights on the dash?
Sponsored