ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Chapter 12 - Brakes - Girodisc front rotors, endless MX72 pads all around.

With my quickjack and extension ramps working, I set about upgrading the brakes on this car. Ordered a set of Girodisc front rotors and Endless MX72 pads. I didn't do much research on the rotors as I just followed another owner's advice but the pads I have used in my all previous builds and i love them. They're probably the only pad that gives me the stopping power I want WITHOUT a massive amount of brake squeal. The only downside is that they're expensive as hell.

Never did a brake job before so I had to google up on instructions. Followed this video:

Installation was pretty straight forward. The rears were a little more complicated though and I hit a snag as the passenger side was not going in (i was able to use some force to push in the driver's side rear). Ended up having to pick up a piston compression tool.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 5BxTmU

The tool is NOT that user friendly and is a bit confusing when you don't read the instructions. Namely the part where each compression tool had a different orientation for tightening / loosening it. For example, one of the tools might be a counterclockwise rotation to loosen while it's the opposite for the other one.

With the piston properly compressed, I was able to easily slide the caliper back on. Hit another snag when i realized I had disconnected my e brake plug. Took me awhile to figure that one out as I had switched the wires around when reconnecting it.

Pictures:

Front:
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Pvlg2Z

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street gCj2qR

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zoqYM7

Side by side comparison: (stocks on the left):

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ZJGihw

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 4Zco2n

Rears:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street jJXPyi

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 5BxTmU

Tips for installing these parts:

- Make sure you have a piston compression tool on hand
- Make sure you torque the bolts back to spec
- Read ALL the instructions on the tools
- Having a rubber malet around helps too

Impressions:

I finally had the chance to drive my car around for a bit and stopping power feels very nice. There is also no brake squeal. Which is awesome. Next step would be to test it at the track.

Last edited:

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Where did you get the compression tool?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter 13 - EVS Tow hook bracket kit

Upon installing a tow hook onto this car, I realized there isn't really a good location for it. jeez. Ended up spending 200 something buckets just to relocate it to a proper location. Was it necessary? Probably not. But it looks a lot better.

btw... Thanks to our fellow member Miguel for helping me to both source the part and providing me with tips on the install. Made things A LOT easier. You the boss.

Pics:
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 48EOt2

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street MIRmir

Tips:

- If you're having trouble reinserting the bolts to install the bracket, make sure you get the right angle for the bolt. The right angle will actually feel "higher" than normal but just trust that it'll go in at that angle.
- A couple of ways to cut the grill but i used a dremel and sanded it off. I also think I ended up getting one hole too much. But oh wells. It's nothing super noticeable.
- The horn. Make sure you rotate it.

Last edited:

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Well, this is definitely a thread worth watching. You've got a lot going on here. Some of the parts you purchased I had never heard of, especially the Shorai battery. Just wondering how much of a load that battery can handle.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter 14 - PRL Intercooler + BMSPEC Splitter + extensions

Finally went ahead and decided to rip the front bumper off. Honestly, I was a bit scared to do this because I had watched some videos on it and the process seemed more involved than I felt I had time for. Nonetheless, not that bad. Took about 30 minutes cause i was trying to be careful and about 30-40 clips. lol.

Watched this video:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street oXl9BP

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 8wsd5

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street EruKWH

Tips: To pull the harness off the fog lights. Remove the grille piece. Way easier than just reaching up after you have removed the bottom side pieces.

Since i had the bumper off, I was going to install the Koyo Radiator, PRL intercooler, and HKS oil cooler that I had purchased. Ended up only installing the PRL intercooler because I realized I had to basically drain the car for the other two parts. Luckily for me, 6 bolts and the stock intercooler comes off. Ez pacheezy.

And for those of you guys wondering why the CTR is overheating. Look no further. It's no surprise things get hot when Honda decides to put these types of parts on this car. lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Lybu1y

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street WO41Az

The PRL intercooler is about 40% larger and at least 2x as dense.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street JbcBQr

I was planning on attending a local CTR meet on 4/13/18 so I decided that I would just install the splitter and be done with it for now. Had a friend come over to help out with the install and we knocked it out in about 2 hours while chatting about babies. haha.

Before I show pics, I wanted to give you guys some info on this splitter. I know that there are many options out there for our cars but I decided to go with BMSPEC for several reasons:

1. They're track proven. They work. Several local guys run them and it's an understatement to say they turn over some quick lap times.
2. 3 piece design allows for you to replace and / or repair one piece as opposed to the entire thing.
3. Looks. I love the aggression on it as that's the direction i want to take this car. I don't care if it looks "ricey" or whatever. Function > Form. But in this case, it's both. haha.
4. They're local to me. I love supporting local businesses mainly because you get an array of benefits and advantages.

Buttoning back up...
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ih9gDk

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street xE9YfB

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street fesTQf

And after her first wash...

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street k82Zgh

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street XdznV5

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 458Ko1

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street spbILd

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter 15 - Playing the waiting game... but in the mean time... Mugen Carbon Fiber Door Protectors and new shift knob

Not much has been happening. The project has been held up as I wait for parts to come in. They're taking awhile namely because they're all back ordered. To keep things moving a long, I've been keeping up with the "what did do for your type r today?" thread to get some ideas in terms of what else I can buy for this car.

Saw some of you guys have the Mugen carbon fiber door protectors and thought that would be a nice touch so i got two sets. They were about 40 bucks each and you get two in each set. Nothing too exciting but they do look quite nice. I still feel like they're overpriced though. But hey, it's mugen.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street eTh2sf

Also went ahead and ordered another shift knob. I like the feel and look of this one.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street vpQDTk

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street UOmgUs

And ordered some other parts:

- OS Gilken LSD
- PRL DP and FP
- Vented Front Driver's side grille - This is so that i get better cooling when I install my oil cooler kit
- Seibon Vented Hood
- Aerocatch Hood pins
- Zero Auto Factory Hood vents
- Sakebomb garage steel braided brake lines

I've also been driving the car around a bit just to try to hit 1000 miles so I can do my first oil change. I'm currently at like 570. haha. But driving around did give me an opportunity to feel out the Acuity shifter. My opinion about that part has changed. Whereas before, I didn't feel like it was worth it, I actually really like it now. The shifts are very precise and I can't really imagine going back to stock now. lol.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
May u ask, why the difference swap, is the oem locker not to your taste?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
May u ask, why the difference swap, is the oem locker not to your taste?
The stock shifter is great but the acuity improves upon it.

Love this thread, keep it up!

Also get a massive rager every time I see that NSX.
Thanks! I'm actually thinking about selling her b/c I barely drive it. Especially now that I have a newborn and a CTR in the picture... lol.
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street hZq0tB

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter 15 part b - Lamin-X & Vented driver's side grille

Usually not a fan of yellow headlights but on the CTR. It just sort of works.

Bought a small tiny amount of Lamin-X from amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006347Q8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took me about 5 minutes to install including the removal of the grille. Seriously, it's that easy. Also threw on my new vented grille. Pics:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street nbOCQ7

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street DwqvYN

Gave her a quick wash. Car gets so damn dirty every time. haha. Will probably end up wrapping it at some point....

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street CGldzV

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I've also been driving the car around a bit just to try to hit 1000 miles so I can do my first oil change. I'm currently at like 570. haha. But driving around did give me an opportunity to feel out the Acuity shifter. My opinion about that part has changed. Whereas before, I didn't feel like it was worth it, I actually really like it now. The shifts are very precise and I can't really imagine going back to stock now. lol.
i knew you'd change your mind after driving on it!
Also get a massive rager every time I see that NSX.
i'm also here for that NSX :drool:

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
The stock shifter is great but the acuity improves upon it.

Thanks! I'm actually thinking about selling her b/c I barely drive it. Especially now that I have a newborn and a CTR in the picture... lol.
hZq0tB.jpg
Sorry, damn autocorrect ended up masking my real question, which was:

Why are you fitting the OS Gilken LSD when the oem one works well?

Do you have any plans to improve the airflow into the coolant radiator area?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry, damn autocorrect ended up masking my real question, which was:

Why are you fitting the OS Gilken LSD when the oem one works well?

Do you have any plans to improve the airflow into the coolant radiator area?
A few of the guys around me are running the OS Gilken LSD and have had spectacular results. I've chat with them for a bit and they've all said that it is a worthwhile upgrade. So it's sort of a why not situation. lol.

At this point, I'm not sure if improving the airflow into the coolant radiator area is necessary. I've already done the following to combat the overheating issues on this car:

- PRL Intercooler
- Koyo Radiator
- Turbo Blanket
- PRL DP and FP will probably be powdercoated and wrapped
- Evasive vented driver's side grille
- HKS Oil cooler
- Seibon Vented Grille
- Zero Auto Factory vents

Most of the guys who track their cars have less cooling mods than me and haven't had any issues. Although, I still haven't been able to go out yet in this car so at this point, it's just their word that I'm depending on. But I suppose if I still have overheating issues, I would probably add the secondary mishimoto cooler and the seibon / or J's vented front grille.
Sponsored