AlinaFK8

First Name
Alina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
Country flag
Looks sick! Any chance that you can post the full steering wheel setup / parts you used? (links would be cool too, but i can search for it myself haha) I also want to change the steering wheel but its pretty hard here in germany to find some parts or at least to find someone that can help because its mostly forbidden to change the steering wheel or drive without an airbag and stuff.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Looks sick! Any chance that you can post the full steering wheel setup / parts you used? (links would be cool too, but i can search for it myself haha) I also want to change the steering wheel but its pretty hard here in germany to find some parts or at least to find someone that can help because its mostly forbidden to change the steering wheel or drive without an airbag and stuff.
Mugen Race 3 Wheel
Works Bell Hub
Works Bell Quick Release

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
/\ Absolutely an incredible build. This is by far my most favorite thread in this forum right now.

Everytime I see that huge oil cooler I drool. If you or your shop ever releases the details of the that oil cooler and two secondary radiators you have stuffed in there Im sure many of us would be interested :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks alot! Found the parts and going to order it! :)
Awesome man! Let me know how it works out for you.

/\ Absolutely an incredible build. This is by far my most favorite thread in this forum right now.

Everytime I see that huge oil cooler I drool. If you or your shop ever comes out with the details of the oil cooler and double secondary radiator set up you got going there Im sure many of us would be interested :)

haha thanks! Will do!

18_CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
this whole thread is incredible! Really well thought out logic for problem solving the cooling issue, really well written, incredibly informative, just great all around! Not to mention... what. a. build. Jaw dropping.

I know it's been said before, but would love to get my hands on a cooling package from your shop. The 2020 season for us SCCA time trial guys is quickly approaching, so I'll keep looking for it to hit the market!

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
Did I read you put on a remus exhaust from stock? Thought you had a fujitsubo, what was wrong with that one?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did I read you put on a remus exhaust from stock? Thought you had a fujitsubo, what was wrong with that one?
I loved the fujitsubo but it wasn't passing sound at Laguna for some reason. Went back to stock for a bit as I was figuring out what to do with my exhaust situation. Ended up with the Remus but honestly I'm still not sure if it will pass.

TypeR333

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Let me start by saying, awesome thread. Love ur build and what you’ve accomplished with it. So im trying to get my temps down and my next step is a 2nd oil cooler and radiator.
Is there any update on ur friends front mount oil cooler kit? Looking to do new radiator soon and wanted to do oil cooler while im at it. Thanks!!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2/23 - Trackday with the CTR guys at Thunderhill East

Picked up my car earlier in the week, drove home, and realized that something was wrong with my car.

Luckily for me, one of my friends works as a tech at Honda so I was able to drop my car off to him to check on things. (thanks Elton!!!) Found out my rear brake actuator was messed up from a prior install of the rear brake pads. Overnighted the parts and tried to make my track day for 2/22.

No bueno.

In the process of installing the actuator, we found out that the harness was broken too. Fine. Overnight the harness too.

Managed to button the car up on Saturday and drove down the same night. Met at our friend Dave's house, had some beers, and caught up with some of the other CTR bros.

Sunday rolled around. Not too many cars around this time. But no matter. Spent the first session feeling things out at usual. TC on. 28% ethanol. Kept it slow. Driving at 6/10ths.....

BOOM. Limp mode.

Ok...

Go back out session 2. Went even easier. Driving 5/10ths. No limp mode. But I pull in early due to a black flag.

Bumped myself to Advanced OP1 group to run with the big boys. Pushed it driving at 8/10ths. Got my lap times down to a 2.01 (my goal is a sub 2). Car was running fine until the third / fourth lap... and then LIMP MODE.

For the rest of the day, the car kept going to limp mode. Every time it did, I would put more 91 in to drop the ethanol content but it didn't work. Car would only NOT go into limp mode if I was driving at less than 5/10ths.

At the end of the day, another problem occurred. The TC was constantly on. No idea what the hell is wrong with it. I couldn't even disable it.

The most laughable part is that when I decided to stop driving my car and instead pilot one of my friend's CTR. I remembered how easy it was to drive this damn car. Even driving the thing at 6/10ths and with both of us in the vehicle, I managed to easily slip in a 2.05 lap time. Ridiculous.

Don't even know what to say at this point. Talked to my mechanic and we think it might be the high pressure fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter, or a bad in tank fuel pump. Regardless, I'm going to be dropping the car off to get both HPFP and the in tank replaced.

As for the traction control issue. I've talked to my tuner and we're trying to figure out whether it is the tune or the wheel set up. It seems like either way, I will be able to tune it out by messing with the slip angle via the traction control table.

Sigh... just one of those days i guess.

By the way, here is one of my laps later in the day. This was done in the high intermediate "mixed" group so I wasn't pushing. Was able to drive around with some of my buddies though. (Go to 3:50 to see the CTR on CTR action).

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Spark plugs? I just replaced them though.
Ok. You could probably data log your car and see where the fuel pressure ended up being. You’d be the first that I heard the fuel pump dying. I mean I guess it’s not unexpected. What is your car’s usual max fuel pump duty?

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok. You could probably data log your car and see where the fuel pressure ended up being. You’d be the first that I heard the fuel pump dying. I mean I guess it’s not unexpected. What is your car’s usual max fuel pump duty?

We had another guy in our group whose fuel pump died. It's probably not common but I do think it happens.

Managed to pull the data from my aim yesterday but we weren't able to see the fuel pump's data. What we did see though was that my OIL Temp spiked up to 461 right as the car went into limp mode. Usually this is indicative that the temp sensor is faulty / damaged.

At this point, I've made the decision to stop attending track days until we sort things out. Going to drop the car off at the shop next week to get it ready for the next phase of the build as well as to sort out the issues.
Sponsored