ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Why not just dial the car back slightly power wise to help with cooling?

We probably could but where's the fun in that? haha.

All jokes aside, that isn't a real solution. Lots of people who are running stock power overheat too. So it's not like dialing it back will help them.

10/21/19:

Dropped the car off back to Elite to get it ready for Laguna on 10/26.

Car is going to need another set of laguna pipes made since my last one sort of ... fell off on the track. lol.

Also picked up a smarty cam system and aim solo DL so we could get some better recordings and data. My gopro has been acting up too and it's been a pain in the ass to deal with (battery keeps saying it's charged and it will only last for 10-15 minutes).
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street zgBBbf

Last but not least, we're contemplating just removing the AC altogether. Although the car can run for extended periods of time, it's still pulling power and well... it's not like we ever use the AC anymore anyways. As we near the end of the year, I've been thinking about picking up a trailer, registering it as non op, and just converting it into a full on track car. The track is becoming the only place I can enjoy driving the car these days and I feel like the car is going to get there eventually (becoming a dedicated track car) anyways.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We probably could but where's the fun in that? haha.

All jokes aside, that isn't a real solution. Lots of people who are running stock power overheat too. So it's not like dialing it back will help them.

10/21/19:

Dropped the car off back to Elite to get it ready for Laguna on 10/26.

Car is going to need another set of laguna pipes made since my last one sort of ... fell off on the track. lol.

Also picked up a smarty cam system and aim solo DL so we could get some better recordings and data. My gopro has been acting up too and it's been a pain in the ass to deal with (battery keeps saying it's charged and it will only last for 10-15 minutes).
zgBBbf.jpg

Last but not least, we're contemplating just removing the AC altogether. Although the car can run for extended periods of time, it's still pulling power and well... it's not like we ever use the AC anymore anyways. As we near the end of the year, I've been thinking about picking up a trailer, registering it as non op, and just converting it into a full on track car. The track is becoming the only place I can enjoy driving the car these days and I feel like the car is going to get there eventually (becoming a dedicated track car) anyways.
I love my AIM SOLO ... it has helped me a ton with learning tracks and my mistakes

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love my AIM SOLO ... it has helped me a ton with learning tracks and my mistakes
Yeah I was watching my friend and mechanic Jon do his thing and he was able to use the data to significantly improve his lap times. I've always been a bit more old school but I think I'm hitting a point where the data can help.

Even if i don't use the data, it'd make for some interesting track videos. haha.

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, Boxster, X7, F250, F350, CTR,
Country flag
I just bought a CTR for track days and to build an endurance race car out of. Had I read all the info on overheating BEFORE I bought it, I probably wouldn’t have. But I’m an owner and now I’m here. Anyways, have you ever tried a different coolant, or experimented with oil? Reason I ask is because I race off road motorcycles. In tight technical sections, like mountain switchbacks, a big 4 stroke dirt bike will overheat and puke coolant. I was having this issue, bad. I started using Engine Ice and it quit overheating. Engine Ice is generally marketed to motorcycle guys so not many car people would know about it. I’m going to flush my CTR and put it in. There’s a track day at the track I usually go to in November, so the lower temp will probably prevent it from overheating anyways, but the Ice will be in nonetheless. Also, with ALL the overheating issues mentioned, the handling aspect hasn’t been discussed. So, with the coil overs and other suspension mods, anything you do differently?

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, in the thread you mention your friends CTR is super fast on lowering springs only. Any idea which ones, and is he running aftermarket sway Bars?

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And badass thread btw. Looks like you’ve thrown more into than what it cost new...I’m just curious though if yanking the A/C would fix the problem without going to the extremes you have.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, in the thread you mention your friends CTR is super fast on lowering springs only. Any idea which ones, and is he running aftermarket sway Bars?
Hey dude congrats!

Yes i run a combo of different coolants and water wetter and it seems to have helped with the overheating a bit...

I also run Motul 300V 5W30 as well to help with heat management and reliability at high temps

I run swift springs and they are amazing !!! absolutely insane how capable the car is on just them and a RSB

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I ordered some 18x8.5 bronze Koenig Ampliforms from Discount Tire, but they’re backordered. Am I screwing up by not getting 9.5’s? I still can change it since they’re not available anyways.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I ordered some 18x8.5 bronze Koenig Ampliforms from Discount Tire, but they’re backordered. Am I screwing up by not getting 9.5’s? I still can change it since they’re not available anyways.
Def would recommend a 9.5 inch rim

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just bought a CTR for track days and to build an endurance race car out of. Had I read all the info on overheating BEFORE I bought it, I probably wouldn’t have. But I’m an owner and now I’m here. Anyways, have you ever tried a different coolant, or experimented with oil? Reason I ask is because I race off road motorcycles. In tight technical sections, like mountain switchbacks, a big 4 stroke dirt bike will overheat and puke coolant. I was having this issue, bad. I started using Engine Ice and it quit overheating. Engine Ice is generally marketed to motorcycle guys so not many car people would know about it. I’m going to flush my CTR and put it in. There’s a track day at the track I usually go to in November, so the lower temp will probably prevent it from overheating anyways, but the Ice will be in nonetheless. Also, with ALL the overheating issues mentioned, the handling aspect hasn’t been discussed. So, with the coil overs and other suspension mods, anything you do differently?
I'm with you. Had I known that the CTR would have so much overheating issues, I would not have opted for this car. Plenty of other capable cars I could buy and tune without having to worry about this issue. But I do have to admit that the CTR is a whole lotta fun when its running right.

Regarding your question about fluids. We've tried various different fluids but to no avail. If the ambient temp is over 80, the car will overheat. I think a lot of the mods that are out on the market right now will "buy" you some more track time but the overheating situation is a bit inevitable.

As for handling, we find that many of the newer cars tend to understeer. The CTR is an extreme example of that. Lots and lots understeer. With that said, when the car is running right, we actually spend a lot of time just trying to dial everything in to reduce the understeer. We've done this via the coilovers, sway bars, and aero. Oh, we also have a gilken LSD but ehhh that's not really worth it.

YES. Super fast kid local to me. He runs swift lowering springs and no sway bars yet (I don't think so at least).

Do yourself a favor and order the 9.5". The car needs all the grip it can take. Besides, who ever complained about having more grip? haha.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Most of us are on Swift Spec R springs. At least here in NorCal.

TJHeller

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ordered some Swift R’s this morning. Also ordered the Evasive cage with seat delete, but haven’t got the “Your order just shipped” notification, so hopefully it’s available. Hawk pads are on the way, and I think that’s all I’m going to do until the first track day. (Besides change the coolant and tires/wheels and Motul 6000)

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
TJH: As a relatively new owner who also bought the Type R mostly for track days, only to then learn of its significant track limitations, including the massive overheating issue, even in stock form, the cooling solutions I expect to try first are: distilled water + water wetter and a J's grill (for better airflow into the engine bay), combined with running the heater full on.

As IPEEFREELY has recorded here, you can throw a lot of $ at this cooling issue with little result. I will be interested in whether disabling the AC helps. If its not turned on, I am not sure what advantage disabling it has?

Brakes dont last long, esp rears (thx to stability mgt), so I added new rear rotors and track pads. Now adding Girodisc front rotors and front track pads.

Also added 18" wheels and track tires( Bridgestone 265/35 RE1R's). Good for 3 track days then needed to be flipped as out sides were nearly gone and insides were nearly untouched (hard to add needed negative camber without $$$ after market suspension mods). That should give me another 2-3 track days. One 18" wheel got bent somewhere along the line so its being replaced.

With all of that said, the car is a blast at the track and it constantly surprises "faster" cars.
Sponsored