PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I'm from the UK and it rarely get's warm here but I did do a Trackday in 34 degrees (about 95 degrees fahrenheit) and I'm using Dream Automotive's Hardlagged Catless Downpipe and that's made the biggest difference for me at keeping temps down. I could do 4 laps of a 3.8 mile Circuit before I needed to do a cool down lap.

Snapchat-1990715466.jpg

Hope this helps!
The thermal efficiency on this must be really good..this thing looks to be completely isolated.
Sponsored

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
I second the ceramic coating on the exhaust - I think it helps immensely. Last track day I was getting up to about 80% on my temp gauge but no limp mode. It was in the mid 90's. I also have my front pipe coated since it wraps right next to the oil pan.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street img_5619-

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I second the ceramic coating on the exhaust - I think it helps immensely. Last track day I was getting up to about 80% on my temp gauge but no limp mode. It was in the mid 90's. I also have my front pipe coated since it wraps right next to the oil pan.

img_5619-jpg.jpg
Which down pipe is this?

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which down pipe is this?
RV6 Performance - You can select whether or not to buy the part ceramic coated, so it saved me the effort of sending it somewhere to be coated.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
RV6 Performance - You can select whether or not to buy the part ceramic coated, so it saved me the effort of sending it somewhere to be coated.
Ya I’m running the coated front pipe. Thinking about the down pipe, buuuut want to pass inspection and don’t feel like taking it off all the time.

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya I’m running the coated front pipe. Thinking about the down pipe, buuuut want to pass inspection and don’t feel like taking it off all the time.
For what it's worth that is a catted downpipe. Should pass an inspection. Thankfully here in the good old mid-west we don't have to deal with inspections, but I wanted to limit my exhaust smell for the family.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Made some changes to the mod list.

1. Greddy Oil Cooler - MIght switch this up to a custom one to really cool things down.
2. PRL Catted DP / FP - Switched it to the coated RV6 Catted DP / FP combo. I was going to just ceramic coat my PRL pipe but honestly, i'm too lazy.
3. Talked to several of my mechanic friends (separately) and they both think that the ducting is an issue. Going to try to properly channel the air around the car to the right places.

Pictures from my Sonoma track day also came in. Enjoy.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street R5uvrr

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street yAkTPf

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street 4I8ss8

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street mXdGPa

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street TEqoAM

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street G6us0Q

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street ut8YQK

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street DoCMP1

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street llbnr5

View attachment 170517

View attachment 170529

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Linwozzle

First Name
Linden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CBP CTR, 05 Lotus Elise, 94 Miata
Country flag
Frustrating with your overheating problems. Just curious, if anyone thinks that running a flexfuel kit and ~E40 with similar power and less boost might help? I know that E85 has better cooling properties but idk if E40 would be a big difference

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Frustrating with your overheating problems. Just curious, if anyone thinks that running a flexfuel kit and ~E40 with similar power and less boost might help? I know that E85 has better cooling properties but idk if E40 would be a big difference

I'm unsure about E40 but I do think the E85 will help. My car is actually getting the flex fuel kit installed but we want to resolve the overheating issues before we run it. The last thing we want to happen is to have it be overheating and you have a lean condition. lol.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CHapter 20 - 9/2 Elite "testing" day

I've had my mother in law in town so track days are off limits for now (unless I want to incur the wrath of my wife). My next actual track day will be on 9/25 so I've been having my mechanic push the progress on resolving the overheating issues on my car. Hoping to get to a resolution before then so we can actually have some fun with the car....

So since my last post here, we've installed a lot of the mods to combat the overheating issue. To recap, I'm going to list out my cooling mods so far and the additional ones we installed for the testing day on 9/2 at Laguna. The list includes:

- Koyo Radiator
- PRL Intercooler
- HKS Hard Pipe Intercooler kit
- Radium coolant tank
- USR Turbo Blanket
- Seibon Vented Hood + additional Zero Auto Factory vents
- water wetter
- Cut OEM front grille

Additional mods we installed for test day:

- Mishimito secondary race intercooler
- Swapped out the Mishimoto intake for Eventuri Intake
- Gold wrapped Eventuri intake
- Swapped out the catless PRL dp / fp combo for the catted + coated RV6 dp / fp
- Wrapped the coated Rv6 pipe combo
- Swapped out the USR Oil cooler for a custom one that is roughly 4x the size
- Sirimoto Flex Fuel kit
- Installed glowshift gauges to monitor water and oil temp separately
- Installed intake pipe blanket

Ok. So as you can see, we've basically done every single cooling mod available in the market place for this platform.

The result? The car still overheats. BUT it's not all bad. Let me explain.

Actually before I do... I think everyone needs to understand and admit that there is a overheating issue. Every time this topic has been brought up, the first response I always see is someone saying "I know guy X isn't overheating, so why are YOU overheating?". Look people... just because one car hasn't overheated yet it doesn't mean that the platform doesn't have a problem. There's a lot of variables / factors in this equation and I can basically guarantee you that under the right circumstances, the damn thing WILL overheat. In other words, just because one person hasn't overheated YET, it doesn't mean they won't. There IS a overheating issue and it's important that we as a community, stop arguing, admit to it, and come together so we can finally start making progress.

Alright... jeez. The results....

So as I said before, the car still overheats.

On 9/2, the guys at Elite Performance took the car out to Laguna Seca for a track / test day. Ambient temperatures were around 80 - 85 degrees out. It was the perfect day to test since it was hot and also my local group of CTR friends were there to compare. (FYI... everyone overheated... stock and modified)

So the first thing was to monitor temperatures and find out what the hell was actually overheating. Was it the coolant? The oil? What we discovered was that ... *drumroll please*... it was actually BOTH.

The custom and massive oil cooler we installed was doing its job. Oil Temperatures were extremely stable but the coolant temperatures were awful. After several hard laps and even with all the extra mods, the coolant temperature was just shooting up.

With that said, it's to my belief that many of the oil cooler kits available just aren't cutting it. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the companies selling them are lying. I mean ... definitely not. The kits are definitely doing something but the CTR just needs MORE.

Next up....

We're really running out of mods to do in terms of keeping this thing cool but we do still have some ideas. They include:

- additional vents on hood - placed directly above the turbo location
- Maybe change out the grill to a J's grill?
- Adding MORE radiators to keep the coolant temps down
- Custom tune

Pics:
Secondary Radiator
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street EaJFfG

Exhaust was wrapped.
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street thE1MV

Gold wrapped our eventuri intake. Not sure if this does anything but we're desperate and it looks cool. haha.
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street GjEfet

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uZCkfc

Gauges installed:

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street i3dLS6

Loaded up. If you look closely, you can also see our custom oil cooler kit mounted in front.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street tdYQyw

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Looks like we need to increase coolant capacity. The koyo is just not enough then.

I have to believe that you’ve reached the limit with cooling the oil if you’ve gone 4x.

It will take longer to heat soak 7 gallons of coolant than 1.x gal.

We need to measure:
- your rate of generating heat
- your rate of cooling down

And increase it so that you can last longer while increasing the ability to cool down and recover faster.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like we need to increase coolant capacity. The koyo is just not enough then.

I have to believe that you’ve reached the limit with cooling the oil if you’ve gone 4x.

It will take longer to heat soak 7 gallons of coolant than 1.x gal.

We need to measure:
- your rate of generating heat
- your rate of cooling down

And increase it so that you can last longer while increasing the ability to cool down and recover faster.
So the silver lining in all this is that we were able to fix the overheating issue in regards to the oil.

I think it's hard to measure the rate at which we're generating heat as there are way too many variables. The rate of cool down is pretty good though. Pull over and it's basically right back to normal.

glujan2001

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Country flag
Chapter 15 - Part C? - Amazon engine covers. lol.

The gap on the sides of the engine bay always bothered me. I don't know why Honda opted to leave that stuff exposed but that got me looking into ways to clean it up a bit. Some options can be found via seibon and password JDM but you're looking at close to 400 dollars plus for that stuff. So while the gap did bother me...well... let's just say it didn't bother me enough to spend 400 dollars. Then there's the problem of if you buy the carbon fiber engine bay covers, you have to buy the rest of stuff because then you just look cheap. haha.

Anyways, I left it alone for a bit but ended up stumbling upon this part on amazon. It was like 50 bucks and the texture actually perfectly matches the rest of the bits on the car.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778V3LMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered on Monday and the part came on Wednesday. Pictures:
yIemA8.jpg

UZaG1P.jpg

JB9Y75.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

gxiCuQ.jpg

gxiCuQ.jpg

UZaG1P.jpg

Thanks for the info, I ordered them and installed them last night. They really do make a difference on how it looks
Sponsored