First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Amazon Cover + different Intake, like i told you. :p

Took the covers off. Didn't help at all.

I've got a new intake already, just haven't installed it yet.

I'll be taking some time off away from track so the car will be at the shop for some modifications. Hoping one of those mods will address / solve the overheating issue.

AlinaFK8

First Name
Alina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
Country flag
Hmm, not sure how high the temps are going in your area, but putting the amazon covers off should definitly help to cool down. Maybe its just not enough for your area at all.

What new intake you got? Any more infos about the other modifications? PM if you dont want to make it public. :p

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, not sure how high the temps are going in your area, but putting the amazon covers off should definitly help to cool down. Maybe its just not enough for your area at all.

What new intake you got? Any more infos about the other modifications? PM if you dont want to make it public. :p
The temps got up to 96 degrees today. I was at the track until the temperatures hit about 90. Left early because my car was overheating in basically 2 laps.

After one of the sessions, we removed the covers but the car was still overheating. It didn't change anything.

Not saying that removing the covers didn't help, I think it did. But i don't think its the main reason why the car is over heating.

As for mods, I don't mind sharing. After all, I'd like for others to chime to figure why this car is overheating so badly.

Upcoming mods:

- Eventuri intake to replace my heat soaking Mishimoto intake
- Greddy oil cooler to replace my USR cooler
- PTP Inlet blanket

Some other things I can potentially do to help with the heat (I'm brainstorming here...)

- Mess with the coolant mixture - add more water vs coolant
- Add MORE vents to the hood, specifically the area above the turbo
- Mishimoto secondary intercooler????
- Ceramic coating the pipes

Last edited:

razi_fk8

First Name
Razi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Grey FK8 & Civic Sport FK7
Country flag
The temps got up to 96 degrees today. I was at the track until the temperatures hit about 90. Left early because my car was overheating in basically 2 laps.

After one of the sessions, we removed the covers but the car was still overheating. It didn't change anything.

Not saying that removing the covers didn't help, I think it did. But i don't think its the main reason why the car is over heating.

As for mods, I don't mind sharing. After all, I'd like for others to chime to figure why this car is overheating so badly.

Upcoming mods:

- PTP Inlet blanket

Some other things I can potentially do to help with the heat (I'm brainstorming here...)

I'm from the UK and it rarely get's warm here but I did do a Trackday in 34 degrees (about 95 degrees fahrenheit) and I'm using Dream Automotive's Hardlagged Catless Downpipe and that's made the biggest difference for me at keeping temps down. I could do 4 laps of a 3.8 mile Circuit before I needed to do a cool down lap.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street Snapchat-1990715466

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm from the UK and it rarely get's warm here but I did do a Trackday in 34 degrees (about 95 degrees fahrenheit) and I'm using Dream Automotive's Hardlagged Catless Downpipe and that's made the biggest difference for me at keeping temps down. I could do 4 laps of a 3.8 mile Circuit before I needed to do a cool down lap.

Snapchat-1990715466.jpg

Hope this helps!

so for you, it was your downpipe that was generating the heat? I'm about to switch from a catless to a catted PRL downpipe. Thinking if I should get it coated or not to help with the temps.

razi_fk8

First Name
Razi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so for you, it was your downpipe that was generating the heat? I'm about to switch from a catless to a catted PRL downpipe. Thinking if I should get it coated or not to help with the temps.
Yes I found going for the coated downpipe made a big difference in keeping temps down. Hardlagging is the best form of heat management so you could consider Dream's Downpipe.

I also still have factory radiator, bonnet and grille.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I found going for the coated downpipe made a big difference in keeping temps down. Hardlagging is the best form of heat management so you could consider Dream's Downpipe.

I also still have factory radiator, bonnet and grille.
what kind of coating did you go with? And did you also end up wrapping the exhaust? I'm considering doing both to really keep the temps down.

razi_fk8

First Name
Razi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what kind of coating did you go with? And did you also end up wrapping the exhaust? I'm considering doing both to really keep the temps down.
I'm using Hardlagging on my Downpipe for heat management. Dream have these downpipes with the hardlagging in stock but it's worth asking Phil Crafford from Dream about this.

i'm using the HKS Legamax and it isn't wrapped, neither is my front pipe.

AlinaFK8

First Name
Alina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
Country flag

Upcoming mods:

- PTP Inlet blanket

Okay 96 degreesis pretty high, we dont have it that high here in germany often haha, but 90 seems pretty realistic. Anyway, the Amazon-Cover is surely not the main reason for the overheating, but removing it definitely helps for better airflow.

Eventuri is the best intake you can get for the moment if it comes to cold air, like i said in my pm we made some measurements with different intakes and Eventuri was by far the best and - sadly - Mishimoto was one of the worst temperature wise. For the oil cooler i would recommend the double sided HKS oil cooler from TR Motor Sport, that one is surly a beast and will help. Mishimoto secondary intercooler seems pretty nice too and i already ordered it too, but im not that sure if it will really make a big change - but we'll see.

Beside that, razi is right. Lava wrapping (or any other kind of wrap) the downpipe should help also help. Getting a catted downpipe will not help or even make it worse IMO, because the cat will get pretty hot inside.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay 96 degreesis pretty high, we dont have it that high here in germany often haha, but 90 seems pretty realistic. Anyway, the Amazon-Cover is surely not the main reason for the overheating, but removing it definitely helps for better airflow.

Eventuri is the best intake you can get for the moment if it comes to cold air, like i said in my pm we made some measurements with different intakes and Eventuri was by far the best and - sadly - Mishimoto was one of the worst temperature wise. For the oil cooler i would recommend the double sided HKS oil cooler from TR Motor Sport, that one is surly a beast and will help. Mishimoto secondary intercooler seems pretty nice too and i already ordered it too, but im not that sure if it will really make a big change - but we'll see.

Beside that, razi is right. Lava wrapping (or any other kind of wrap) the downpipe should help also help. Getting a catted downpipe will not help or even make it worse IMO, because the cat will get pretty hot inside.
I'm switching to a catted DP because my local track has a decibel limit. Last time I was there, my car was catless with a fujitsubo exhaust, and we failed sound by about 2-3 decibels. Hoping the catted downpipe would quiet things down just a bit to let me run there.

I'll probably be looking into ceramic coating and then having it wrapped. I've heard that you shouldn't do both as the wrap can damage the parts so I'll have to do more research into this before making a decision.

Other than that, it seems like I've gotten a handful of possible solutions so we'll just have to try them all. I don't know what to do though if the car still overheats after this wave of mods...

Also, I almost forgot, but I talked to my friend / mechanic and he's questioning the usefulness of the Mishimoto secondary intercooler. The placement of it, between the engine and the firewall, makes it so that the benefits are basically negligible. Just something to be aware of I guess.

Last edited:

flipnrr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r - 2004 S2000
Country flag
I'm switching to a catted DP because my local track has a decibel limit. Last time I was there, my car was catless with a fujitsubo exhaust, and we failed sound by about 2-3 decibels. Hoping the catted downpipe would quiet things down just a bit to let me run there.

I'll probably be looking into ceramic coating and then having it wrapped. I've heard that you shouldn't do both as the wrap can damage the parts so I'll have to do more research into this before making a decision.

Other than that, it seems like I've gotten a handful of possible solutions so we'll just have to try them all. I don't know what to do though if the car still overheats after this wave of mods...

Also, I almost forgot, but I talked to my friend / mechanic and he's questioning the usefulness of the Mishimoto secondary intercooler. The placement of it, between the engine and the firewall, makes it so that the benefits are basically negligible. Just something to be aware of I guess.
i have my DP ceramic coated and wrapped. the problem with having both ceramic and wrap is having a lot of thermal load on the piping which will cause stress to the welds and piping and it might crack. so far i don’t have any issues yet but you track more often than me so that may vary.

i’ve just got the J’s grill and about to order the front mounted oil cooler from sirimoto and either get the seibon hood with that one vent above the turbo or keep the OEM hood and get the trackspec vents.

i feel what your going thru and hopefully you sort things out.

ONEPNT5.Si

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Si
Country flag
i have my DP ceramic coated and wrapped. the problem with having both ceramic and wrap is having a lot of thermal load on the piping which will cause stress to the welds and piping and it might crack. so far i don’t have any issues yet but you track more often than me so that may vary.

i’ve just got the J’s grill and about to order the front mounted oil cooler from sirimoto and either get the seibon hood with that one vent above the turbo or keep the OEM hood and get the trackspec vents.

i feel what your going thru and hopefully you sort things out.
Can you keep me updated on whether or not the oil cooler requires modifications to work with the J's grill?
I just ordered one for my Si and I'm interested in the SiriMoto oil cooler as well.

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl FK8
Country flag
I think I stated it before, but not sure if you missed the comment.
You're adding on parts for cooling, but not preventing heat from getting into your engine from your current parts. You should ceramic coat your downpipe, inlet pipe, intercooler piping, etc. and heat wrap the Mishimoto air box.
Upgrade your radiator, and maybe the PRL intercooler as it's good for street driving, but I suggest the Mishimoto intercooler or HKS intercooler for racing.
Lastly, take off those side engine covers as they are preventing some of the heat to escape your engine bay.

TL;DR ceramic coat everything, heat wrap the Mishimoto airbox, radiator upgrade, tube and fin intercooler for racing, and remove your side engine covers.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
looks like somehow the heat from the down pipe (which is directly adjacent to the radiator) needs to be shielded. I guess no matter how much air you get from the front of the radiator, you will lose the cold-ness due to the heat from the down pipe at the back side of the radiator...make sense. thanks
Sponsored