Country flag

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok, thanks...do you put the piece near the windshield back in the rainy season?
I will but it only rains once every other year in SoCal.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
That is a great color. Looks so much better than the black imo.

Just curious on why you are going with the greddy oil cooler? Have you looked into the HKS?
I'm going to be getting an oil cooler in the near future and i keep going back and forth between hks and the greddy.
Here is my recommendation, run the HKS and a new grill like the Js. Then mount yet another cooler such as the sirimoto front mount. To complete the circle cut out the hood or buy a new one with better cooling. Might as well put a new radiator while your there but don’t think it does anything.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Try removing the rear hood seal (in front of wipers) and engine compartment side panels (from Amazon). Made a difference for me even on daily driving. Engine doesn’t feel as hot after driving.
YOu really think this is the cause of the overheating issue?

@ipeefreely this looks like going to be more effective since its mounted in the front.

https://www.procivic.com/pages-prod...MIv6SPw4GB5AIVUNbACh00-ATxEAQYAyABEgLuZPD_BwE

planning on getting this one just waiting till i get the J’s grill and see if i have to modify to fit before it gets painted.
I already ordered the Greddy one so we're just going to install it and see if it helps. I'm currently running the USR oil cooler but I'm seriously questioning the usefulness of it. (tbh I'm not even sure if we installed it correctly since it didn't come with any instructions at all and it always hits my damn bumper)

If the Greddy one isn't working, we'll probably be running a custom one. Thinking dual oil coolers that will fit in the left and right side of the grille.

Here is my recommendation, run the HKS and a new grill like the Js. Then mount yet another cooler such as the sirimoto front mount. To complete the circle cut out the hood or buy a new one with better cooling. Might as well put a new radiator while your there but don’t think it does anything.
I actually just dropped my car off to TS to install the hood. It's already vented but we're just going to add some more just in case (and cause it kinda looks cool).

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street YzRirT

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street gnSe16

So ... so far we've got the following "solutions" in the works:

- Vented Hood
- Greddy Oil cooler
- Eventuri Intake
- Rebleeding of coolant system
- going to try to upload another tune to the car via hondata

If the car still over heats, I honestly don't know what to do anymore.... haha.

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
Which USR oil cooler kit did you have before? Reading through your posts it said USR HKS kit, doubt switching to the greedy would make any difference unless you installed the first one incorrectly. I think the hood will make a nice difference.

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which USR oil cooler kit did you have before? Reading through your posts it said USR HKS kit, doubt switching to the greedy would make any difference unless you installed the first one incorrectly. I think the hood will make a nice difference.
woops. I need to update that. I initially thought I had ordered the HKS oil cooler but it was actually the USR one.

My USR oil cooler is a bit messed up at the moment. Due to some broken tabs and brackets, the bumper was essentially buffeting when the car was at speed. This caused my bumper, more specifically the area around the oil cooler, to repeatedly shift around and "slam" into the oil cooler. Breaking more tabs and damaging some of the parts of the USR oil cooler. At this point, switching to another oil cooler is a must.

In other news, I did get my car back from Trackspec and had it inspected while it was there. Got them to also install my hood and rebleed the coolant system. We'll see how these two changes affect the car tomorrow at Sonoma.

As you can see from this pic, everything is just zip tied together. Temporary fix so that I can run at the track tomorrow. haha.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street yN82UZ

Still can't decide whether to wrap the hood or not. lol.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
YOu really think this is the cause of the overheating issue?

I already ordered the Greddy one so we're just going to install it and see if it helps. I'm currently running the USR oil cooler but I'm seriously questioning the usefulness of it. (tbh I'm not even sure if we installed it correctly since it didn't come with any instructions at all and it always hits my damn bumper)

If the Greddy one isn't working, we'll probably be running a custom one. Thinking dual oil coolers that will fit in the left and right side of the grille.

I actually just dropped my car off to TS to install the hood. It's already vented but we're just going to add some more just in case (and cause it kinda looks cool).

YzRirT.jpg

gnSe16.jpg

So ... so far we've got the following "solutions" in the works:

- Vented Hood
- Greddy Oil cooler
- Eventuri Intake
- Rebleeding of coolant system
- going to try to upload another tune to the car via hondata

If the car still over heats, I honestly don't know what to do anymore.... haha.
nice wrap, that's the color I wish Sonic grey pearl was.

Last edited:

soapctr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Holy that color is amazing. I definitely would've gotten that color if it was available from factory. Space grey has a bit too much of a "blue" tint to it. But yours is so nice!

Hooligan317

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 ZCP, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Really enjoying following your experiences with this platform, thanks for sharing. I just got my USR oil cooler installed this week and am headed to the track on Saturday so I'm hoping my experience doesn't mirror yours on that front! PS. Porsche's Chalk color is badass, great choice on the CTR!

OP
OP
ipeefreely

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Chapter 19 -Still overheating....

Just got back from our trip to Sonoma.

The day started out ok. The track wasn't that hot yet but I ended up taking a friend for a ride a long so my lap times were a bit hindered. Ended up with a 1.56 (which coincidentally became my best time of the day). Car performed pretty well but I wasn't looking to push it that hard just yet as I was still feeling out the track. Despite going easy, the car was overheating again near the end of the first session. Pulled off early to let the car cool down as I was running double sessions and my next session was in 10 minutes.

In the second session, I did a lead / follow to show my other friend around the track. Once i felt like he was getting it, decided to have a bit of fun on my own. Was dicing it up with some of the other cars and within 3-4 laps, car was overheating again. I was also running out of gas at this point so whatever... pulled off.

By the time the third session rolled around, temperatures were at low to mid 80s. Had my friend's cousin in the car with me as a passenger. Did about 5 laps before the car overheated.

At this point, I'm realizing that my overheating issues have not been resolved. Things got progressively worse as the temperature slowly creeped up into the 90s.

I removed some of the fender trims, fog light, and began shifting at 5k rpm. Also started mixing some cool down laps into the session to see if we could last longer. This sort of worked as we were able to 6-7 laps. But it was frustrating as we were losing time and you can literally see the temperature gauge gain a cell at every hard push.

We called it a day after the challenge lap as it was far too hot to run and my car overheated after one lap.

Pics:
Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street uwfpt

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street JOBTi7

Here's a pic of my buddy's supercharged S2k. I usually attend track events with this friend and the two cars lay down very comparable lap times. So it's always a blast to chase around on the track.

His car was overheating as well. Still managed to do the same times as me though. Guy is a great driver so I'm honestly ecstatic that I can even keep up with him. haha.

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street A28OEJ

Honda Civic 10th gen PEEFREE's Civic Type R FK8 Build thread - Track / Street WYTf7B

How do they compare? Both are very fun cars but it comes down to a matter of preference. I personally love RWD and the s2k but I'm getting older and the civic has some amenities the s2k is lacking. But once again, just a matter of preference.