Part numers and wierd prices !!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I spent some time yesterday putting together a list of "Radio/Navigation HU" part numbers and their pricing, so I could see the BIG Picture as far as the test items I have so far (in Gray background)

Honda Civic 10th gen Part numers and wierd prices !! Parts_Prices

A few very Noticeable things.

(1) The cost to have the Garmin Software enable in a Head unit is totally RIDICULOUS -- double the already high cost of the HU from $2k to almost $5k

(2) The used 2 Door TOUR I bought on EBay for about $150, (List $2k) has Garmin Nav enabled in it, but appears to be the same price as the standard USA 10 channel non Garmin Si unit. (Not complaining . but why ?)

(3) Honda External Amps almost double in price with just 2 extra channels(going from 10 to 12)

(4) Wiring harness Prices. The almost identical Instrument harness (they are all pretty much the same number of wires & connectors) vary enormously in price. The ones made in Vietnam are about half the Price of those made in the UK.
Not so much that the UK ones are expensive .. but more that the Vietnam ones are sold so cheaply (without significant makeup to match the UK ones) .. again .. not complaining.

Note: All prices are Manufactures recommended Prices.. most can be purchased new (online) for up to 25-30% less that recommended price. (used (say on Ebay) they are about 75% off)

My biggest Puzzelment are
(1)_ Why the 2 Door TOUR unit I got on Ebay has Garmin enables, but the Part is listed at the same as a similar 10 Channel Non-Garmin unit. - and the similar 4 door TOUR does NOT have Garmin.
Did the original owner/dealer find a way to enable the Garmin on this unit ? As far as I can see the Spec for the 2 Door Tour is NOT to have Garmin.(as reflected in its Price)

(2) The 5 Door EX_KA CVT is only a 4 channel (8 speaker) unit, but does have Garmin (and an corresponding high Price, I assume to license the Garmin software) ? So this unit is a HU with its own self contained 4 channel AMP, and with Garmin.

IF you spot any errors in the above Table, please let me know with corrections .. thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
THIS IS NOT MADE FOR HONDA.

BRAINIAC FOR BRZ/FRS

I thought I’d share this with you because I found it interesting and thought you would too. I’m not sure how beneficial something like this would be but it is interesting with what people are doing with new electronics.