Parking Brake vs Brake Hold

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I love Brake Hold and it works great for me. I've never had any sort or lurching or had it engage at any times other than when I'd expect and it's always engaged exactly when I'd expect it to. There was only one time where I was going less than 1 MPH where it did an ever-so-slightly stop, but that was just once.

My question is this. When you engage the Parking Brake, it takes it several seconds to engage, makes the whirley sound and I presume engages the rear calipers. So, what exactly happens mechanically when the Brake Hold engages? Does it engage the front brakes? Both? Does it continually add braking pressure after initial or is it a light engage?

The manual does mention this:

"Activating the automatic brake hold system on steep hills or slippery roads may still allow the vehicle to move if you remove your foot from the brake pedal. If a vehicle unexpectedly moves, it may cause a crash resulting in serious injury or death. Never use the automatic brake hold system or rely on it to keep a vehicle from moving when stopped on a steep hill or slippery roads."

So, has anyone had any experiences where it started to slip or move? I just wonder whether I should avoid using it when stopped and on a hill or whatever.
Sponsored

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I think brake hold just maintains whatever pressure you have on the pedal when motion stops. I guess hypothetically, if you just barely use enough pressure to stop, if a strong wind or some other external force were to be applied, the car could roll a bit, hence the warning. My interpretation of the warning is not necessarily that you should avoid using it on inclines, but that if you do, still pay attention and be ready to push the brake if needed (and don't exit the vehicle).

OP
OP

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. So, I guess in theory, if you have the brakes fully applied and the Hold keeps it there, you might actually have MORE braking power compared to just the Rear brakes engaged.
Sponsored