Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic Si sedan
Country flag
How much vinyl do I need to order to do all 4 wheels?
Rim is 18", so you'll need a (FOUR) 20" x 20".

Answer: 5ft x 4ft will give you (SIX) 20" x 20".

I'll take pictures of my rims when I get home and answer other questions as well.

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hate to dig up an old thread, but how are your vinyl wheels holding up? I’m a little worried about how well they’d stick, with constant debris and wind and getting washed
It's still holding well. This was taken after a wash. There shouldn't be any worry of it coming off, unless you didnt prep it properly. Example: not cleaning the surface well. It may shrink slightly over time. Only thing I'll do differently is make the overlay slightly bigger to cover more of the chrome.

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted stock Si Wheels 20190325_180708

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted stock Si Wheels 20190325_180521

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was literally planing on plasti-dipping the wheels once I got my car back from the body shop but this is even better! Any tips for complete beginners?
I have experience with wrap and this wasnt a quick project. Applying it on is the easiest part; cutting it takes 75% of the time. Just take your time, you will be surprise with the outcome.

Another tip: use a sharpie (or anything black of your choice) to fill in bad cuts where the chrome shows.

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
I have experience with wrap and this wasnt a quick project. Applying it on is the easiest part; cutting it takes 75% of the time. Just take your time, you will be surprise with the outcome.

Another tip: use a sharpie (or anything black of your choice) to fill in bad cuts where the chrome shows.
Awesome! I just got a heat gun and now have to order the other supplies! Is it easier if i take the wheel off completely and cut it from the back and just have the vinyl warp around the edges?

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome! I just got a heat gun and now have to order the other supplies! Is it easier if i take the wheel off completely and cut it from the back and just have the vinyl warp around the edges?
I took my wheels off when I did it. If I was to do it again, I would try using masking tape to make a template. Then tape the masking tape on the vinyl and cut it. But if you were to take off the wheels, dont do it on the floor. Your back will thank you.

It was my 1st time so I dont have a perfect method. Any way you do it, just make sure to give a little slack when cutting. Better to have more black covering black than to cutting it short and chrome showing.

Reminder: this is an overlay over the chrome and not a full wrap.

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
I took my wheels off when I did it. If I was to do it again, I would try using masking tape to make a template. Then tape the masking tape on the vinyl and cut it. But if you were to take off the wheels, dont do it on the floor. Your back will thank you.

It was my 1st time so I dont have a perfect method. Any way you do it, just make sure to give a little slack when cutting. Better to have more black covering black than to cutting it short and chrome showing.

Reminder: this is an overlay over the chrome and not a full wrap.
I was thinking of doing it on the floor but not anymore! Thanks!

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

CG2FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I ended up going with satin black vinyl from Vvivid, just a little more gloss than the matte. I just did my emblems today with extra wrap... the front came out great, but the back isn't as good and had some minor scratches due to the lack of backdrop (might redo it, again). I pre-cut 4x 20x20 vinyl pieces for the rims and am going to do them this upcoming weekend. Given I had scratches when doing the emblems, how can i eliminate that when doing the rims, and how would you do the templates? Any advice into how to make this process easier would be appreciated... Vinyl wrapping curvy areas hansn't been as easy as I thought.
You could try using knifeless tape. It makes it easier to cut the vinyl without the risk of cutting the wheel.

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ended up going with satin black vinyl from Vvivid, just a little more gloss than the matte. I just did my emblems today with extra wrap... the front came out great, but the back isn't as good and had some minor scratches due to the lack of backdrop (might redo it, again). I pre-cut 4x 20x20 vinyl pieces for the rims and am going to do them this upcoming weekend. Given I had scratches when doing the emblems, how can i eliminate that when doing the rims, and how would you do the templates? Any advice into how to make this process easier would be appreciated... Vinyl wrapping curvy areas hansn't been as easy as I thought.
first time doing it myself, so i'm still learning the rims but here's some tips:

use the right knife like pictured above. take your time especially if you have little wrap experience. you will mess up if you rush. When cutting, always have your knife at an angle where the knife tip is away from the rim as much as possible (about 30°.

Here's my important tip: after making sure the wrap is air free on the rim, make sure you can see the outline. When cutting, use one hand to stretch out the wrap and other to cut. This will insure straight cut. **you'll see what I mean if you cut it without pulling on the wrap**.

Hope pic below helps and good luck.

I strongly recommend watching "how to wrap car rims" by Vvivid on youtube.com. also, CK WRAPS is an awesome guy teaching you how to wrap cars.

Knifeless tape great for cutting wraps but it wont be much use on rims.

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted stock Si Wheels 20190528_195935

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted stock Si Wheels 20190528_200303

Honda Civic 10th gen Painted stock Si Wheels 20190528_200330

Last edited:

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
got any pics of it?

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check my garage out/ instagram (on my garage info page)
will do would you say gloss would match better or that what you got matches the black really well?

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check my garage out/ instagram (on my garage info page)
fyi my insta is for my truck not my car but ill give you a follow man i like how your car looks

LanceSI-10thgen

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI Sedan 2018 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
3M Knifeless Finish Line Vinyl Wrap Cutting Tape 50 Meter Roll (164 Ft) for Stripes and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XY5K6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9vF7CbD59SP5A
It will probably take you forever (and a LOT of patience) to lay this over the chrome of the wheels. Plus the fact that this should lie exactly on the edge of the chrome ridges. I will probably just stick with the knife and angle it in a way that it will not nick the glossed side edges.

Vvivid by the way have pre-cut overlays for the chrome. It's all over ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-...248285?hash=item287f59439d:g:aXwAAOSwgbRdBoE9
Sponsored