Paint Protection Film

cassity14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Accord Ex
Hey everyone,

I'm picking up my red si coupe next week, and I couldn't be more excited. I live in Houston, Texas, but am buying the car where I grew up in Ohio and then driving it down with my Dad. Should be a fun little roadtrip.

Anyway, the reason for the thread is this: I've never owned a brand new car. I currently drive an 04 Accord that was with me through half of high school, all of college, and the 2+ years I've been down here in Texas. I'm not well-versed in what preventative care options exist on buying a new car, and I plan on having my Si 10+ years.

I will be getting a window tint done because of how hard the sun beats down here in the summer, and while researching reputable places to have that done, I've been introduced to this world of paint protection films as well.

This forum is full of the true enthusiasts. Have any of you had this done? Is it effective? Cost effective? Are there different types that I should look into choosing between? Pretty much explain this to me like I'm 16 years old if you have the time.

I've learned a ton just lurking here over the last month or so since I decided to buy the car, so I respect the wealth of knowledge around here.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I had the front bumper, mirrors, full hood, and front fenders done on my coupe.
The film used was XPEL and offered through the dealership.
Effective so far. No chips where area is covered.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Film is the first thing you should do if you care about your car. After trying many brands over the years, I found Suntek films to be the best. Don't skimp, do the bumper, fenders, headlight and full hood (3/4 is ok too). Film is essential if you do a lot of highway travel. Expect to spend $700-800.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have all six of my cars protected with Xpel Ultimate. Has saved me from hundreds of rock chips and damage. Had the Si done as well.
IMG_1116.JPG
How much did you cover on your car? Also, what did that cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Btw, Love that color on the SI!

DoingOK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How much did you cover on your car? Also, what did that cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Btw, Love that color on the SI!

The whole front end was done (including the black plastic areas), headlights, complete hood, rocker panels, wheel arches, mirrors, door sills and trunk ledge area. $1100

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Dont go with 3m if you have a choice.
I went XPEL. Did FULL front end from doors forward, door sills, side skirts, door cups, door edges, a-pillars, 8”of roof from windshield back, side mirrors, top of rear bumper. Too much $$ lol.
I have Suntek on the vette. Suntek is slightly thinner but is a little smoother looking. If you don’t know, you’ll never tell. Either is fantastic as far as protection, and clarity.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I did Xpel on my last car and it held up great for 192K. Well worth it... so I wrapped the Si as well.

It definitely takes some extra effort to keep clean. But the result was lots of compliments on how well my car aged.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
I did Xpel on my last car and it held up great for 192K. Well worth it... so I wrapped the Si as well.
This:thumbsup: I have had my black Prelude for over 20 years. The car looks great up until you get close to the front clip. Literally looks like stars at night from all the rock chips.
I went with XPEL Ultimate for the self healing property on my Si. It was $$$ but I know for myself, I will greatly appreciate the investment years down the road.

Last edited:

DoingOK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I recently sold my Raptor and there was zero rock chips on it after 5 years of driving. I got top dollar for it. I also had Xpel on my son's STi and it was immaculate when we sold it several months ago. Our track Miata also has Xpel and it has kept the front end chip free. I also have it on my 2016 GT and have an appointment to put it on my son's 2018 Tacoma next week. Xpel Ultimate is great stuff.

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film rap1.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film 15123120_10202529551038241_9100345116124347583_o

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film _MG_3915

View attachment 78546

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film 882179_10201191040056303_8447248373833685757_o

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
It definitely takes some extra effort to keep clean.
Interesting, from what little I've read here earlier, it seemed like it's actually easier to wash cars that have a protective layer on them... But I've probably missed something. Can you elaborate a little on those difficulties/the "extra effort"?

All this talk is definitely making me want to do it, despite the $$... Especially since it's black...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The edges are dirt magnets. Need to be careful when applying claybar and wax. The installer can help maintain by removing a very thin slice of the film every 5 years or so. Cheap maintenance and costs around $40-50.

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Thanks.

Need to be careful when applying claybar and wax.
^^ Do you mean "applying during the original installation", or "applying during the after-care"? (If the latter, that would mean one still has to use extra surface care such as claybar after (on top of) the coat? The lazy me was hoping that simple hand-washing would be enough, once the coating is on...)

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
(If the latter, that would mean one still has to use extra surface care such as claybar after (on top of) the coat?
I am interested in @Design 's response as he has first hand experience with this.

This is straight from XPELS website:

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film Screenshot_20171223-081315

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Protection Film Screenshot_20171223-081804

My installer basically told me to just wax the film whenever I wax the rest of the car. He also said be mindful of the edges when washing with a pressure washer and also try to wash parallel to the edges not over them with wash mits.
I will most likely instead use the xpel sealant listed above and see how it works. The other added benefit? I no longer get swirl marks from washing on the front black grill and fake vent surrounds:headbang:

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@cassity14 : Congrats on the upcoming car!

To try and answer your questions:

Is the film cost effective? Completely depends on you. If you wash your car once a year and do not cringe at paint chips and swirl marks, I would say no its not worth it. Stick to washing and waxing.
But if you are someone who really cares about your cars appearance-always washing (properly!!), waxing and especially polishing your paint I would definitely consider it.
PPF is essentially a almost invisible layer of protection on top of your paint. The edges are visible where the film isn't wrapped, but only if you are actually looking for it. Film will drastically reduce damage from rocks and road debris and help keep swirl marks from washing to a minimum. It is not a cure all. You can still get dents and dings. A screwdriver across the hood will scratch through the film and damage your paint. You still have to take care of the car. You still have to maintain your paint, but where the film is applied it is a bit easier.

3M, Suntek and XPEL are the major brands. Research reviews on each brand. They all have different positives and negatives, and everyone's opinions vary greatly. Visit reputable shops and ask why they use a certain brand. Ask to look at finished cars so you can see the difference between films, and also see their quality of work. Keep in mind cost is all over the place between installers. Find out exactly what line of film they are quoting you on. For example, I had a shop here quote me $700 for a full frontal using xpel. Sweet deal!! What they didn't tell me was they used xpel xtreme, not xpel ultimate which is what I was looking for. The Ultimate is double that cost. As stated above, I chose the Ultimate due to the self healing. If I get light swirls from washing, heat makes them go away.
If you do maintain your vehicle over the duration of ownership, PPF should give you a better resale value as stated by the members above.

Most installers have different packages concerning coverage. Partials to full frontal. A partial is just that-the film is installed on the most damage prone areas. Front bumper, and usually about 18" of the hood. The film edge is visible across the hood, but most people won't notice it. From there you can add coverage as you want. Full hood, full fenders, side mirrors etc. Heck, if you have the $$$$$$ they can essentially cover the whole car!

Hope this helps and have fun with that roadtrip. I had some GREAT times on the road with my dad!:thumbsup:
Sponsored