P0301 Misfire on cylinder 1

mugenx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just threw the same engine code today. I'm going to call my dealer in the morning and get it in - headed on a long trip in a couple weeks and I need my wheels! Syntek, did you get any other errors or lights when you got your error? When my engine light came on I got errors for the brake system, power steering system, and all of my sensing features were apparently not functioning. I'm at 33000kms, which is about 20000 miles. Seems really weird to me that these unrelated systems were sending in errors. I drove the car on the highway for an hour and both the power steering and brake systems work, but my sensing features wouldn't activate. 1.5 '16 sedan.
CHeck this out... may pertain to you....

Ill post the post here too in case the group is private.....

Thought I would share.

Many of you know I am a 15 year Honda master technician. Today I was working on a 2017 civc hatch with over 38k on the odometer!

Had a very bad missfire. (Check engine light) most of it was in cylinder 3 but 2 was acting up too. Did the basic swap coils and plugs to eliminate spark plugs coils exc. no change.

Broke out the compression tester. 240 across all 4 cylinders. But a cylinder leakdown test showed cylinder 3 leaking 20%!

I pulled the valve cover off and checked the valve adjustment. Right away I found one exhaust valve on cylinder 3 very tight, causing the valve to hang open hence the leak.

Figured that was it. Put it back together retested and zero leakdown on cylinder 3.

Fired it up. STILL HAVE A BAD MISSFIRE IN 2 and 3!!!

Next step was to swap injectors. Since the 1.5 turbo motor is direct injected, and the car still under power train warrenty, I ordered a set of injectors and the required gaskets and feed pipe.

Installed them and why do you know. Fixed the car. Runs very smooth now.

If you look at the pictures it appears excessive carbon buildup on the heads of the injectors caused a odd spray pattern or clogged the injector.

Direct injectors bolt into the cylinder head. Not into the intake manifold like normal injectors. This way you get gas directly into the cylinder. The injectors operate and a very high pdi since it has to overcome combustion pressures. Add a turbo and it gets high! Hence the loud injector sounds.

I don’t know what type of gas this customer was using but I do recc using only premium gas and run quality gas.
Do you think runnng a catch can would prevent this issue? Since your saying there is an excessive carbon build up?

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you think runnng a catch can would prevent this issue? Since your saying there is an excessive carbon build up?
Absolutely. A catch can should be a day 1 mod on any DI engine.

Ashxsi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Sedan si
Country flag
I seem to be having the same issue, just recently bought hondata for my car a few weeks ago, I was getting error codes. When I had just flashed 6+ base map. This would be the first mod I've done to my vehicle. Any ideas? Or suggestions on what I should do? I'm a total noob when it comes to tuning your vehicle as well lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen P0301 Misfire on cylinder 1 Screenshot_20190823-064102_Hondata

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I seem to be having the same issue, just recently bought hondata for my car a few weeks ago, I was getting error codes. When I had just flashed 6+ base map. This would be the first mod I've done to my vehicle. Any ideas? Or suggestions on what I should do? I'm a total noob when it comes to tuning your vehicle as well lol.

Screenshot_20190823-064102_Hondata.jpg
do you get the same codes when on stock tuner?

Ashxsi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Sedan si
Country flag
do you get the same codes when on stock tuner?
I can say that prior to me ever flashing my vehicle with hondata I had a CEL issue when I took a road trip to Utah. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree, was super paranoid cause I was very far from home. The normal CEL went on such as parkhill assist, and traction control and all that good stuff. When I returned from my vacay I had a letter from Honda addressing the problem which they stated was the cylinder misfire codes, P0301 P0302 P0303. When I went to get an oil change I asked the service representative if they can check on the codes I received from Honda. Didn't really help much tbh. But being the impatient man I am decided not to wait around and purchased hondata. I uploaded the +6 base map and that's when my problem occurred. It goes "limp mode" I believe is the term the use in the forum. The quick fix for me is turning off the car on and off and it seems to do the trick. Only seems to happen when I do a pull from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. I started to wonder that a possible reason could be spark plugs. I happened to replace them last night as a preventative measure. My father helped me do the install. He told me my car smells like it's running rich.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can say that prior to me ever flashing my vehicle with hondata I had a CEL issue when I took a road trip to Utah. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree, was super paranoid cause I was very far from home. The normal CEL went on such as parkhill assist, and traction control and all that good stuff. When I returned from my vacay I had a letter from Honda addressing the problem which they stated was the cylinder misfire codes, P0301 P0302 P0303. When I went to get an oil change I asked the service representative if they can check on the codes I received from Honda. Didn't really help much tbh. But being the impatient man I am decided not to wait around and purchased hondata. I uploaded the +6 base map and that's when my problem occurred. It goes "limp mode" I believe is the term the use in the forum. The quick fix for me is turning off the car on and off and it seems to do the trick. Only seems to happen when I do a pull from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. I started to wonder that a possible reason could be spark plugs. I happened to replace them last night as a preventative measure. My father helped me do the install. He told me my car smells like it's running rich.
yeah, if you keep getting engine misfire codes you definitely have an issue and should have let the dealer diagnose especially if you have warranty left.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In my experience, this issue is tied more to the fuel system and not the plugs. A bad batch of gas seems to be the primary culprit in most cases. Though we've occasionally we've seen owners experience irregular spray patterns by not consistently using top tier fuel.

My recommendation is to swap plugs, then coils, and see if the misfire codes follow the cylinder(s). Multiple cylinders usually point to a global issue like the aforementioned fuel quality, or a failing HPFP.

My 2 cents...

OP
OP
Syntek

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What I did when I ran into this issue is put in new spark plugs, swapped coils, and flashed back to stock. My specific issue was it ONLY happened on cold start, which eventually Honda replaced the injectors and all was well afterwards.

Now I'm not sure if it was because of bad gas, because I did mostly Shell 91 with the occasional Chevron 91 and used the same locations for the most part.

What I want to add to this is i vaguely remember that the warranty on the injectors was extended for certain 2016-2017 vehicles? I saw this somewhere on this forum. Might want to bring that up to them if they give you a hard time for whatever reason.

Ashxsi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Sedan si
Country flag
What I did when I ran into this issue is put in new spark plugs, swapped coils, and flashed back to stock. My specific issue was it ONLY happened on cold start, which eventually Honda replaced the injectors and all was well afterwards.

Now I'm not sure if it was because of bad gas, because I did mostly Shell 91 with the occasional Chevron 91 and used the same locations for the most part.

What I want to add to this is i vaguely remember that the warranty on the injectors was extended for certain 2016-2017 vehicles? I saw this somewhere on this forum. Might want to bring that up to them if they give you a hard time for whatever reason.
Car seems to be running fine now, and I unregistered the device and installed it one more time, it seemed like my car also had some voltage ⚡ issues while uploading the tune. Here are some of my data logs if any one is interested in looking at them. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.
Sponsored

Attachments