Owners of the first batch of CTRs, how's your alcantara holding up?

Trey

R-00621
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #00621
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only to the pedantic :dunno:
....or facts. Alcantara® does not exist in the 2017-2018 CTRs, just like recaros or real carbon fiber do not. #nowyouknow ;)

Alcantara is a covering microfibre material manufactured and marketed by Alcantara S.p.A. It is primarily used in the design, fashion, accessories, consumer electronics, automotive and marine industries.

The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries. It was based on the same technology as another product from the same company named Ultrasuede.[2] Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material.[3][4] The company is now owned by Toray and Mitsui.

Alcantara is produced by combining an advanced spinning process (producing very low denier bi-component "islands in the sea" fibre) and chemical and textile production processes (needle punching, buffing, impregnation, extraction, finishing, dyeing, etc.) which interact with each other
Sponsored

Trey

R-00621
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #00621
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In other words, we can argue over the semantics, but let's not lose track of the fact that the OP's question was whether the synthetic suede covering the CTR seats would last over time. As a matter of fact, the OP's initial post doesn't call the material "Alcantra" at all.

Honda Civic 10th gen Owners of the first batch of CTRs, how's your alcantara holding up? latest?cb=20150731090140

I guess you missed the thread title started by the OP. ;) It's all about the DETAILS lol

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Does it really matter what you call the fabric, as long as it has good wear resistance? I'm 100% sure the "suede effect" fabric will have better wear characteristics than the leather in my S2000, or leather in most any car for that fact. Honda has always done well in the past with selecting fabrics with very good wear characteristics, at least that's been my experience with the Honda cars me and my family have owned over the past 35 years.

Trey

R-00621
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #00621
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it really matter what you call the fabric, as long as it has good wear resistance? I'm 100% sure the "suede effect" fabric will have better wear characteristics than the leather in my S2000, or leather in most any car for that fact. Honda has always done well in the past with selecting fabrics with very good wear characteristics, at least that's been my experience with the Honda cars me and my family have owned over the past 35 years.
I've seen a few 97-01 ITR center armrests in pretty bad shape. Probably from some sweaty dude leaning on it alot.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I've seen a few 97-01 ITR center armrests in pretty bad shape. Probably from some sweaty dude leaning on it alot.
Any fabric will stain and if not cleaned will look poor in 20 years time. I think if people are concerned about discoloration, just apply fabric protectant to those areas. Even if the center console were leather, I've seen plenty of leather center consoles that were in poor condition, even on a 5 year old car.

I think the OP is just concerned about the fabric wearing down from all the rubbing that will occur each time the driver gets in and out of the car. Just the basic wear resistance of the fabric, so far it seems that in 6 months, nobody has a general complaint about the fabric being cheap or wearing out after just a short time.

The seats are tight, very form fitting, which is going to have a higher possibility of showing wear, that's just the facts. If the owner is very thin, probably much less wear than an owner who has a wide bottom. Again, this is the same for any car that has racing style seats. Fabrics and especially leathers can only take so much abuse.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Any specific product you were looking at using? Was considering Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric myself.
Spoke to my detailer this morning and he recommends Gyeon Fabric Coat. He also mentioned, never spray on directly; always spray on applicator and then apply to fabric.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Spoke to my detailer this morning and he recommends Gyeon Fabric Coat. He also mentioned, never spray on directly; always spray on applicator and then apply to fabric.
Let us know how it is if you go with that product. Will be waiting around until March/April for when I get my car out of storage to do anything. So I have time to think it over but might stick the Gtechniq brand since I have their Crystal Serum Ultra coating.

Did he say why to never spray directly on? Seem like the couple application instructions I read on products say to do that.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
latest?cb=20150731090140.png

I guess you missed the thread title started by the OP. ;) It's all about the DETAILS lol
Fair point, I meant the body of OP's post but you are right.

However, to heed your admonishment that "it's all about the DETAILS lol", I feel compelled to point out that OP said "alcantra" (lower case), not "Alcantara" (initial capital). Thus, OP probably was referring to the generic name of the ultra suede, not the brand name Alcantara. You know, like kleenex, jacuzzi, xerox, etc. . . . . where a trademark becomes the generic name via common usage. ;)

OK, I agree, this whole off-topic discussion is stupid. Back to the original programming . . . .

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I don't plan on treating this "alcantara" any different than how i treat my other cars.
Let us know how it is if you go with that product. Will be waiting around until March/April for when I get my car out of storage to do anything. So I have time to think it over but might stick the Gtechniq brand since I have their Crystal Serum Ultra coating.

Did he say why to never spray directly on? Seem like the couple application instructions I read on products say to do that.
probably to prevent overspray when your spraying on the interior.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag

Ok, I'll fill you guys in on my progress...but no I didn't ask why we should never spray directly to fabric. Will ask him later. :)

OP
OP
shihabp79

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Any fabric will stain and if not cleaned will look poor in 20 years time. I think if people are concerned about discoloration, just apply fabric protectant to those areas. Even if the center console were leather, I've seen plenty of leather center consoles that were in poor condition, even on a 5 year old car.

I think the OP is just concerned about the fabric wearing down from all the rubbing that will occur each time the driver gets in and out of the car. Just the basic wear resistance of the fabric, so far it seems that in 6 months, nobody has a general complaint about the fabric being cheap or wearing out after just a short time.

The seats are tight, very form fitting, which is going to have a higher possibility of showing wear, that's just the facts. If the owner is very thin, probably much less wear than an owner who has a wide bottom. Again, this is the same for any car that has racing style seats. Fabrics and especially leathers can only take so much abuse.
Spot on, I was worrying about wear more than discoloration or staining (although that's a concern as well). I had my ITR when it was only 2 years old and sold it when it was 4 years old, not 20, so I'm not kidding when I say Honda's faux suede material from back then wasn't all that durable.

Fair point, I meant the body of OP's post but you are right.

However, to heed your admonishment that "it's all about the DETAILS lol", I feel compelled to point out that OP said "alcantra" (lower case), not "Alcantara" (initial capital). Thus, OP probably was referring to the generic name of the ultra suede, not the brand name Alcantara. You know, like kleenex, jacuzzi, xerox, etc. . . . . where a trademark becomes the generic name via common usage. ;)

OK, I agree, this whole off-topic discussion is stupid. Back to the original programming . . . .
Thank you! That's exactly why I said "alcantara" and not "Alcantara®" as I wasn't referring to that specific brand's product. Our friend Trey must not have heard of proprietary eponyms in his rush to be "correct." Here's a link for his benefit: http://www.rinkworks.com/words/eponyms.shtml
Sponsored