Overfilled oil, 1.5 liter engine

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
My oil level is almost 1/2 an inch above the top square mark on the dipstick(a little above the orange piece). It says in the manual it should be between the bottom and top mark. My last oil change was 2,500 miles ago. Oil life 70%. Is it too much already? At what point should I be concerned? Oil level was checked warm and cold, it reads virtually the same every time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
2/16 = 1/8 (always reduce your fractions).

Didn't mention if you checked oil "stone cold" or "warm" as there would be a difference. Either way, I say you are fine.

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Is there a way to siphon oil from the fill cap or dipstick hole?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Is there a way to siphon oil from the fill cap or dipstick hole?
I just changed the factory oil at 4812 miles. It has been way over the top marker since I checked for the first time after buying the car, maybe in March. It then increased a small bit over time and it was finally covering all the yellow plastic so about 3/8" or 9 mm over the top marker throughout the summer, without a further noticeable increase. I wasn't worried about it, although I would not accept this much overfilling after oil change. (Many oil change places overfill almost that much. ) I didn't want it any higher though.

Just before that, at about 4630 miles, I sucked out via the dipstick tube a little more than 1 qt of oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W30 to the top marker. It is quick and easy with a syringe and a piece of flexible transparent tubing that fits in the dipstick hole. I used a 50 cc syringe and it was quite fast because the oil is not very viscous, so filling this syringe takes seconds. (Sucking out 10W oil or cold transmission oil in winter is much slower.) But I also have a special device for fast sucking of oil which uses a large metal can evacuated by a hand pump. This would suck out all the oil in the engine (except for the filter) even faster.

The spent oil didn't smell gasoline any stronger than any used engine oil. In my organoleptic opinion it would be quite OK for at least another couple thousand miles. It looked almost black in reflected light and was completely opaque in a large test tube with the ID of a finger. But as a layer on the glass it was transparent and amber-brown.

I might buy myself a couple of "Ford viscosity cups" to more accurately compare the viscosity of cold used oil with new oil.

I refilled with the Mobil1 0W20 "Annual Protection" 20,000 miles Ultimate Full Synthetic oil. I will use the MM as a hint and will partially replace (via dipstick tube) and then at some point change the oil depending on the level on the dipstick and my mood.

At least, thanks to the fuel blow by, there is no danger oil will drop too much between changes...:thumbsup: In this era of loose piston rings, there will be either a deficit or excess of oil. Maybe Honda will find a way to precisely equalize the amount of oil burned with the amount of fuel added, so that the owners will stop rioting...

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
2/16 = 1/8 (always reduce your fractions).

Didn't mention if you checked oil "stone cold" or "warm" as there would be a difference. Either way, I say you are fine.
My oil level is 2/16 of an inch(0.3175 cm) above the top square mark on the dipstick. It says in the manual it should be between the bottom and top mark. My last oil change was 2,500 miles ago. Is it too much already? At what point should I be concerned?

Overflow is not very good;

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/overfilling-engine-oil-theres-much-good-thing/

How to siphon ? Google

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Search on this forum for oil dilution threads, you might have a problem with your DI system if your level goes up without you adding any oil to it.

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I just changed the factory oil at 4812 miles. It has been way over the top marker since I checked for the first time after buying the car, maybe in March. It then increased a small bit over time and it was finally covering all the yellow plastic so about 3/8" or 9 mm over the top marker throughout the summer, without a further noticeable increase. I wasn't worried about it, although I would not accept this much overfilling after oil change. (Many oil change places overfill almost that much. ) I didn't want it any higher though.

Just before that, at about 4630 miles, I sucked out via the dipstick tube a little more than 1 qt of oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W30 to the top marker. It is quick and easy with a syringe and a piece of flexible transparent tubing that fits in the dipstick hole. I used a 50 cc syringe and it was quite fast because the oil is not very viscous, so filling this syringe takes seconds. (Sucking out 10W oil or cold transmission oil in winter is much slower.) But I also have a special device for fast sucking of oil which uses a large metal can evacuated by a hand pump. This would suck out all the oil in the engine (except for the filter) even faster.

The spent oil didn't smell gasoline any stronger than any used engine oil. In my organoleptic opinion it would be quite OK for at least another couple thousand miles. It looked almost black in reflected light and was completely opaque in a large test tube with the ID of a finger. But as a layer on the glass it was transparent and amber-brown.

I might buy myself a couple of "Ford viscosity cups" to more accurately compare the viscosity of cold used oil with new oil.

I refilled with the Mobil1 0W20 "Annual Protection" 20,000 miles Ultimate Full Synthetic oil. I will use the MM as a hint and will partially replace (via dipstick tube) and then at some point change the oil depending on the level on the dipstick and my mood.

At least, thanks to the fuel blow by, there is no danger oil will drop too much between changes...:thumbsup: In this era of loose piston rings, there will be either a deficit or excess of oil. Maybe Honda will find a way to precisely equalize the amount of oil burned with the amount of fuel added, so that the owners will stop rioting...
I tried to siphon last night. Stuck it all the way in the hole as far as the dipstick goes, pulled back and nothing happened. Detached my 50cc syringe and used a shop vac connected to the tube, still nothing. I see siphon kits online but don't know if they'd work on the Civic. Suppose I'll call the dealer tomorrow. If they don't do anything I may buy the supplies and change my own oil. I prefer a floor jack over ramps, just need to find the central jacking point. After looking at the dipstick when the engine is cold and warm, I feel I got an accurate reading. It's 1/2 an inch over the top mark. Where the orange tip meets the metal.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I tried to siphon last night. Stuck it all the way in the hole as far as the dipstick goes, pulled back and nothing happened. Detached my 50cc syringe and used a shop vac connected to the tube, still nothing. I see siphon kits online but don't know if they'd work on the Civic. Suppose I'll call the dealer tomorrow. If they don't do anything I may buy the supplies and change my own oil. I prefer a floor jack over ramps, just need to find the central jacking point. After looking at the dipstick when the engine is cold and warm, I feel I got an accurate reading. It's 3/8 of inch over the top mark. Where the orange tip meets the metal.
That's strange that you had a problem with sucking out the oil. I used translucent, relatively rigid, but still elastic tubing. This tubing fits quite closely, but freely, so if it was just a bit thicker it wouldn't fit. I'm not sure whether it was metric 6 mm or imperial 1/4" OD. I inserted it more than the dipstick length. On pulling the plunger the oil would flow into the syringe immediately and easily.

The only thing I can think of in your case is that you had a leak on the connection to syringe. It has to work. If it pulls, but no oil, it must be pulling air.
Btw. I did not do any "siphoning. " For siphoning to work the outside end of the tubing would need to be very low, close to the floor. I just sucked the oil out by the vacuum in the syringe.

I like ramps for oil changes and here are my ramps:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/car-ramps.23400/page-3#post-487696

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
for some reasons these cars often show an oil level way over the full level on the dipstick even though the actual amount of oil is exactly correct. I know because I DIY my oil changes and I put in exactly the right amount, then when I check the level sometimes it's way over the top on the dipstick, but if I keep checking it 3 or 4 times, I eventually get a correct reading. I think oil gets stuck in the bottom of the dipstick tube.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
for some reasons these cars often show an oil level way over the full level on the dipstick even though the actual amount of oil is exactly correct. I know because I DIY my oil changes and I put in exactly the right amount, then when I check the level sometimes it's way over the top on the dipstick, but if I keep checking it 3 or 4 times, I eventually get a correct reading. I think oil gets stuck in the bottom of the dipstick tube.
I haven't found that at all. I too DIY and I purposely put in 200 ml less to account for dilution. My level is always the same over my 6 month oil change interval. It generally sits about an eighth inch under the full and has never gone over.
My dilution has slowed considerably at least in the warmer months. When I first got it, the level rose to way over full nearing the end of the plastic.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I have the N.A. 2.0 which does not have the fuel dilution issue at all

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have the N.A. 2.0 which does not have the fuel dilution issue at all
The Honda service adviser I just talked to said all new Civic engines are direct injection. It's amazing, someone that's sole job is handling issues with Honda's doesn't know the basics. I went to the dealership and complained. It's 1/2 inch overfilled, they said 1 inch is the critical level for the Civic. Basically told me to file a complaint with Honda and if it increases anymore they will do a oil change. Honda pays for free oil changes on CRV's affected by fuel dilution, but not the Civic. They think eventually everyone will get extended warranties and a recall will be issued. It's only the 2nd overfill complaint they've seen(how many owners check their oil?). I like this car but wish I did more research.

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Extremely sad how service advisers who are supposed to know these Hondas like the back of their hand are completely lacking on the basics of our engines. When I bought in my EX a couple weeks ago the advisor who was looking at my car (which is clearly an EX with the 2.0L engine because even the engine bay was open) literally told me to my face that "your civic's turbo engine is new but it should still last a while because it's Honda". I wasn't sure whether he was joking or not and I literally had to explain to him that I had the 2.0 engine...pathetic.

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don't know what to do at this point. I want to keep this car, but need to find a way to manage this. I asked the tech about taking oil out through the dipstick hole, he didn't know how. Could barely understand him because of the heavy accent. He pointed to the turbo and said that's why it's overfilled. It clearly says in the manual overfilling can cause engine damage. All they said was to file a complaint with Honda.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I don't know what to do at this point. I want to keep this car, but need to find a way to manage this. I asked the tech about taking oil out through the dipstick hole, he didn't know how. Could barely understand him because of the heavy accent. He pointed to the turbo and said that's why it's overfilled. It clearly says in the manual overfilling can cause engine damage. All they said was to file a complain with Honda.
Some engines (big one) you can suck the oil out through the dip-stick hole -- ie a Marine Chevy V8, but on the two Civic engines I tried, the same plastic sucking tube was too big a diameter to reach all the way down to the oil. (Might have worked with a smaller diameter tube, + the oil being warm)
Sponsored