JohnnyDenmark

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The whole story: I went out and traded my Civic Hatch Sport for the Type R about a month ago. Now the Type R only comes in a manual, which was fine by me, dad taught me how to drive stick when I was about thirteen on his old '96 F-150. I'll also tell you the shift gates on my fancy new Type R are a whole lot closer than that old beat up pickup truck, so you can imagine how far my hear sunk when I went to shift from fourth to fifth, but caught third instead. I was about three hundred revs from redline when I made that quarter-inch oversight, the tach pegged 8k as I was letting the clutch out. I stomped on the clutch, put her back in neutral, dried my tears with a (used) McDonalds napkin, popped my hood and listened to my motor for a good fifteen minutes. Stuck a wrench on the head and put it against my ear to see if I could hear any pistons playing Whack-a-Mole with the valves, didn't hear anything.

Fast forward to today, I've put on about thirty seven hundred miles. Boost pressure is normal, motor runs fine and I'm getting 30.1 mpg average. Aside from the warrenty-voiding p0219 code which I'm sure is on the ECU (haven't checked, might be bad luck to do it), do you guys think I got away clean? Apparently the valves float at 7.3k on this thing, at 8k I'm surprised I didn't make a new vent in my hood...

P.S I had a little over 700 on the odometer when this ordeal happened, dealer told me break in wasn't necessary but I drove it like a baby the first five hundred because I was scared of messing my motor up lol.

P.P.S Gently used Civic Type R for sale, 40k obo
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Meh.
Stop worrying.
The ECU shuts the fuel off before any damage is done and may store a record of the duration of the over rev and the hour count it occurred at.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Meh.
Stop worrying.
The ECU shuts the fuel off before any damage is done and may store a record of the duration of the over rev and the hour count it occurred at.
How does the ECU killing fuel injection help here? It's a mechanical overrev, not throttle. The rev limiter can't do a thing about it.

Anyway OP, keep an eye on it but it sounds like you're okay. Some guy here downshifted 4th to 1st on the highway or something, and that's a huge overrev. As far as I remember the engine is still ticking.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
It was a Civic Si that went to fourth to first as I recall because the topic centered around the strength of the rods of the Si. Hhhhmmmm.... I think you are fine since of a short duration.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Meh.
Stop worrying.
That won't help an unintentional overrev lol

Your fine OP, when I had the hatch I overreved it to like 7-7.5k once lol going from 3rd to 2nd on highway

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first was learning how to drive the car, I intentionally avoided 5th and 6th gears because I constantly missed them. So I was cruising around in 4th at 70mph... revving at around oh I dunno, 4K or so?

Now I don’t have that issue anymore, but I find to get into fifth I just go 4->N->5 and I push towards where the reverse gear would be to make sure it goes into 5th. It’s tricky because you have to push away from you and 3rd gear is barely an inch away it seems.

I never overrevved but I doubt 8k would do any damage. Honda engines are built like tanks. A compression test could put your mind at ease.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, when going for fifth / sixth, just push that damn gear stick to the right without fear to avoid such happenings. I can’t understand why you’re afraid of.
Also allow yourself time to properly learn to drive stick and to accommodate with the gearbox of the car (700 miles does not mean you have learned it) before getting on it. Gearbox are different from car to car, not everything with a stick is the same as everything else out there. I have almost 200.000 miles (~300.000 km) done only on MT cars without going into the wrong gear and I’ve drove both sloppy and tight gearbox cars.

Last edited:

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
First if cutting fuel will NOT. Save anything. I’m going to be the bearer of truth only to be honest. Real friends are honest w each other. Keep in mind I have 20 years of professional experience and more money in tools than a brand new type r not including my 5k dollar scanner so before anyone blast me here keep that in mind.
If you over rev there’s still a very high chance you float valve BUT!! Keep in mind your not under boost pressure. If you bent a valve even the slightest bit it will not idle well.
I know first hand. 17 years ago I was stupid driving like an idiot drinking and shift 3 4 3 and revved to 9 grand. Redline was 7k. It did bend valves but it only ran rough at idle. This is very possible. Now if you are hearing any knocking noise or poor indie or tapping now that you over-revved you have certainly done damage.
Go to auto zone and use a generic code reader or if you know a shop just ask them to clear DONT LEAVE IT ON
You don’t want anyone to document it either.
You can disconnect your battery but that’s no guarantee.
The only way to tell if you got away clean now is to drain the oil after you get it hot and let sit for 20 minutes drain the initial oil about a water bottle full and the last of it when it slows down. And let it sit and look for metal in it. Also remove the oil filter and drain into a clear container inspecting it fir metal as well. If you can see it it’s toast end of story. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
I’ve rebuilt and installed many rebuilt engines. No matter what you should never see metal!!
Good luck hope you got away
You might have the valves float under boost at 7300 that’s an extra 20+psi of air pushing against them probably not so much without boost.
I’d be more worried about rod bearings, wrist pins or ruining rocker arms.
Ps if you have any questions feel free to pm me

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
going from 5-2 I almost over revved my hatch to just below redline during break in. I’m no expert but from what I’ve read it sounds like if the car hasn’t left you on the side of the road yet then you should be fine, but do get it checked out by a mechanic for peace of mind

When I first was learning how to drive the car, I intentionally avoided 5th and 6th gears because I constantly missed them. So I was cruising around in 4th at 70mph... revving at around oh I dunno, 4K or so?

Now I don’t have that issue anymore, but I find to get into fifth I just go 4->N->5 and I push towards where the reverse gear would be to make sure it goes into 5th. It’s tricky because you have to push away from you and 3rd gear is barely an inch away it seems.

I never overrevved but I doubt 8k would do any damage. Honda engines are built like tanks. A compression test could put your mind at ease.
hahaha I used to cruise at 4k in 4th too, now 5th gear feels too far away

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I once saw registered on a datalog 11,843 rpm with my 91 talon tsi awd

That was around 170k on the original. Proceed another 4 years daily driven with up to a 60-1 turbo at 32psi and a 50 shot of nitrous for 20+k miles.

It slightly bent 2 valves that were only found because i was doing a refresh.

You might be perfectly fine.
Sponsored