Ouch... poor Type R in NJ

ASH_CTR678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Civic Si, 17 Civic Type R
Country flag
These should offer a better protection. But DONT put your lock in the usual glove box or the trunk or else it can be easily stolen also.

Gorilla Automotive (71641X)

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71641X-Thread-Chrome/dp/B00PNK263G?crid=21DPXEWYSCI59&keywords=mcgard+wheel+locks+M14&qid=1539177810&sprefix=MCGARD+WHEE,aps,184&sr=8-22&ref=sr_1_22

Maybe this is a stupid question, but where should you put the key? Clearly, the lock has to be somewhere in the car or you might one day be in tricky situation yourself.....I imagine most thieves know this and will bust a window out to find it. I am not sure if makes much of a difference if they find it the first place they look or the fifth place.

Last edited:

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
So if wheel locks don’t prevent this:

What prevents this?

What are wheel locks for?

Are you serious? Wheel locks don't prevent this shit.

What's stupid is that these wheels are really only good on a Type R. 5x120 means no other Civic can use them and the aggressive offset means no other car would want them. This is the 2nd Type R I've seen like this

https://i.imgur.com/78DaCGz.jpg

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Maybe this is a stupid question, but where should you put the lock? Clearly, the lock has to be somewhere in the car or you might one day be in tricky situation yourself.....I imagine most thieves know this and will bust a window out to find it. I am not sure if makes much of a difference if they find it the first place they look or the fifth place.
Wheel locks are in place of 1 lug nut and require a special socket to remove. If a thief really wanted to get the wheel, he can get to it because all locks manufactured OEM are the same.

ASH_CTR678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Civic Si, 17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wheel locks are in place of 1 lug nut and require a special socket to remove. If a thief really wanted to get the wheel, he can get to it because all locks manufactured OEM are the same.
No kidding......I understand how wheel locks work. And have always questions how many socket patterns are really out there that thieves can't just keep most of them on hand. But the poster I was replying to recommended a certain brand and don't put the key in the glovebox or trunk. But clearly, you need to have it on you at all times in the event you need to change out a wheel or tire. I probably should have said "key" instead of "lock" in the first sentence (ok, I edited the post to put the correct term).

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
No kidding......I understand how wheel locks work. And have always questions how many socket patterns are really out there that thieves can't just keep most of them on hand. But the poster I was replying to recommended a certain brand and don't put the key in the glovebox or trunk. But clearly, you need to have it on you at all times in the event you need to change out a wheel or tire. I probably should have said "key" instead of "lock" in the first sentence (ok, I edited the post to put the correct term).
Then clarify yourself.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
This is why I prefer to park with as much around me as possible... yes you can get door dings and maybe even the really bad person hitting you pulling in or pulling out but thieves usually won’t want to be where someone could easily walk up near them and see them in the act.

Regardless, this trend sucks and I feel bad for the RR CTR in the OP.
I used to think the same thing, friend of mine has a Focus ST. Someone took her 18" wheels and tires, installed 3 stock Focus wheels and tires (and a donut) in a crowded and openly patrolled lot. The next day someone 30 minutes from the station was selling the wheels on Craigslist. I figure at this point, if someone wants something off my car, or my car - they'll get it.

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Man hope those framerails arn't damaged. I'm just gonna stick with my steel rims and hubcaps. They look decent enough.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Glad I saw this. I was about to replace the locks with standard nuts. Considering my city ranks rather highly in car thefts per capita in Canada, I thought against it, but was tempted to do it because it makes rotating tires at home easier and I was honestly afraid of losing the key adapter to the locks.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
So if wheel locks don’t prevent this:

What prevents this?

What are wheel locks for?
Nothing fully prevents this, you can only take steps to reduce your chances. If they want your wheels and they aren't some kid who never stole wheels before, they're going to get your wheels. The locks only stop the most casual thieves, anyone else can force the wheel "locks" off with any number of tools designed to do so. Or they can have access to common keys, or they'll just break your windows and steal your key out of your Spare tire kit or glove box.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
. . . .or they'll just break your windows and steal your key out of your Spare tire kit or glove box.
I have been thinking about this . . . Hondas have a little hidden compartment with a lid under the passenger side carpet that we should be able to use to hide the wheel lock key. Does anyone know what is the actual purpose of the compartment (something to do with the VIN?), and if we can store the key there without creating a ruckus? Or maybe we can wrap the key in something soft.
Sponsored