ORDERED A NEW 2020 CIVIC TYPE R... while there's brand new older models in showrooms

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Is this the new shift knob? If so, its just more teardrop shaped... that’s lame...

Honda Civic 10th gen ORDERED A NEW 2020 CIVIC TYPE R... while there's brand new older models in showrooms 52DBFDEF-8ED9-43DA-8364-98DE7F8CB64C

thebrx

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey thebrx,

I just bought a CTR a couple of weeks ago, and there indeed are dealers out there selling them below MSRP. The markets appear to be remarkably different from city to city and state to state, so you may have to travel a bit to get the right deal. You may want to start with CarGurus and search within about 500 miles. It helps if you are flexible on color. of course. You will have to make lots of phone calls and endure lots of people telling you that there were only 200 Type Rs made in the entire universe, but it is worth your time investment. I had to go to Florida from Birmingham, AL to get my car.

I suggest going to the KBB site and find the current KBB Fair Purchase Price. The current KBB FPP for a new 2019 CTR for my zip code shows $35,275. Use that price as a reference when you are talking with dealers. That should be a fair price for both parties. You will speak to LOTS of morons before you finally get someone who knows something about cars. I called over 20 dealers, and the ones that actually were interested in selling a car called me back. Expect the process to take the better part of a month, and expect lots of frustration. Best of luck to you!!
Hi bretts911,

thanks for the advice. The frustration has already started since several dealers first shot high, then called me back asking if I was still interested, then said their manager allows some discount if I come in person....and so on. I got one call today where a local dealer offered MSRP on a CTR with 2k$ of accessories after last week he wanted 4k$ markup + accessories. Unfortunately I can't really withstand the new sonic grey so I declined.
I'm not in a hurry so I'll keep shopping around and see what I'm able to get.

thebrx

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Vandergriff, in Arlington had 4 for below MSRP. The other 8 had "options" that were marked up anywhere from $800 - $1200. However, they weren't sticking to those markups too hard. I didn't fuck with sales people though. My buddy bought his car from the GM, directly. After he got his, he took his mom to get her car and worked with the GM and then took me up there to meet him. I think he said he went through Car Guys or Car Pro, something like that, and the GM contacted him personally. I'd start there.

Anyone who says you can't find a CTR under MSRP or that dealers will only have a few is completely lying to you. Vandergriff had 6 out in the open, 3 inside, 3 outside. The rest were in the back of the lot. Freeman, in North Dallas, also had 7 on the lot, 4 for under MSRP. AT the time, 3 of those had pending deals. John Eagle had 5 on the lot, but I didn't go to them at all.
Thank you very much PEPSIFLAME.
I see online that Vandergriff has two new type R and a used one. I'll call tomorrow. Freeman has only one but it has the sonic grey color that I really don't like. I'll give them a call too to see if they have more than what is published in the website. John Eagle has none in the website so I'm surprised you saw 5. I'll try here too.
Thanks again.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much PEPSIFLAME.
I see online that Vandergriff has two new type R and a used one. I'll call tomorrow. Freeman has only one but it has the sonic grey color that I really don't like. I'll give them a call too to see if they have more than what is published in the website. John Eagle has none in the website so I'm surprised you saw 5. I'll try here too.
Thanks again.

I noticed that on Vandergriff's site, as well. When I was up there, they were on the lot though. Not sure why they're not all listed. They tried to get me into one that was outside, but I wanted my EX hatch.

Last edited:

dre_dayy

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2018 civic
Country flag
Hey thebrx,

I just bought a CTR a couple of weeks ago, and there indeed are dealers out there selling them below MSRP. The markets appear to be remarkably different from city to city and state to state, so you may have to travel a bit to get the right deal. You may want to start with CarGurus and search within about 500 miles. It helps if you are flexible on color. of course. You will have to make lots of phone calls and endure lots of people telling you that there were only 200 Type Rs made in the entire universe, but it is worth your time investment. I had to go to Florida from Birmingham, AL to get my car.

I suggest going to the KBB site and find the current KBB Fair Purchase Price. The current KBB FPP for a new 2019 CTR for my zip code shows $35,275. Use that price as a reference when you are talking with dealers. That should be a fair price for both parties. You will speak to LOTS of morons before you finally get someone who knows something about cars. I called over 20 dealers, and the ones that actually were interested in selling a car called me back. Expect the process to take the better part of a month, and expect lots of frustration. Best of luck to you!!
This is exactly what I had to do to find mine. I probably emailed 20+ dealers before I found one in Indiana and had it shipped to me in AZ

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
Here is the thing guys and gals. On the phone or through internet person, they will always ask for top dollar on this vehicle 95% of time.
If you find color and the lack of bs add-ons at a dealer, you are best served to go visit in person. I bought mine over a year ago for $600 below MSRP(no bs add-ons or packages).
On the phone and emails they wanted $5000 over msrp and that was their final number.
Walked in, told them exactly what I was willing to pay. I told them the car is not a need but a nice to have. Don’t get emotionally attached as that’s when they get you.
I had my finances in line with pre-approval(very important). I wanted MSRP or I walk as I felt this fair at the time.
It took a couple hours but They soon agreed. The finance guy came to talk me into financing with them. I said I will if they meet or beat my apr rate and knock off another $600 as I knew they would make about $1200 on this deal from The lender. So he basically split the profit with me.

yes today you should see some on the lot and should get a better deal than msrp but you must visit. By the way, John eagle, Fernandez, first texas are all crooks as they play many numbers games. John eagle originally wanted $15k over msrp on 2017 - early 2019 and that pissed me off that they even had the gall to ask for it though they probably only got $5-6k.

So should try support dealerships who were not price gouging so you send a message to the others, we won’t stand for it.
just my opinion on being ethical.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is exactly what I had to do to find mine. I probably emailed 20+ dealers before I found one in Indiana and had it shipped to me in AZ
Which dealer in Indiana did you buy from?

dre_dayy

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2018 civic
Country flag
Which dealer in Indiana did you buy from?
Hare Honda. Another forum members bought a CTR here for 12% under MSRP and had posted something saying they had one left so I emailed them and they said they wouldn’t give me 12% but they would give me invoice.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hare Honda. Another forum members bought a CTR here for 12% under MSRP and had posted something saying they had one left so I emailed them and they said they wouldn’t give me 12% but they would give me invoice.
I haven’t been to that dealership, but it is only a 15 min drive from where I live. I’ve been in a few dealerships around Indy in the last couple months and they all have 1 or 2 type Rs that sit for a awhile before they sell. They all still put a 5k “market adjustment” price tag next to the window sticker. But it sounds like nobody is still stupid enough to pay 40k .

dre_dayy

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2018 civic
Country flag
I haven’t been to that dealership, but it is only a 15 min drive from where I live. I’ve been in a few dealerships around Indy in the last couple months and they all have 1 or 2 type Rs that sit for a awhile before they sell. They all still put a 5k “market adjustment” price tag next to the window sticker. But it sounds like nobody is still stupid enough to pay 40k .
Yeah I think all dealers still put up the market adjustment but it shouldn’t be too difficult to get them down. And I actually live in AZ so I did everything over the phone/internet and had the car shipped to me

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised that any dealer in the country still thinks they can ask for a markup on these things when they got caught in their first year bs of telling people they were going to be very limited production. I lol at anyone that paid $50k+ in the first year for one.

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
As you know there is always a sucker and the dealer will happily take their hard earned money and laugh all the way to the bank as they don’t give two shits.

Remember when air Jordan’s came out people were paying $1000 a pair on eBay or when new iPhone can route back when they were $400-500 for top of line and people were happily paying $1500-$2000 for them just so they can be the first on their block to have it.
Sponsored