Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 peice-of-crap Murano & 2019 Black Civic Sport Coupe
Country flag
Which warranty/maintenance options did you choose when purchasing your Civic?

When I pick up my coupe in a few weeks I need to have made a solid decision on the extras I would like to add.

I am leasing for 5 yrs and considering the buyout option if I love my car as much as I hope I will.

Here is a price list provided by the dealership of the options I think I'm most interested in:

1) Appearance-Guard Plus 5 Year - $1500 CDN
- Repairs Dents & Dings, Windshield Repair/Replacement and Upholstery Rips Tears & Burns Coverage.
- Up to 2 Key Remote Replacements & Alloy Wheel Repair

2) Honda PLUS 5 Year 120,000km (UPL) - $1198 CDN
- Parts & labor on covered components
- 24hr roadside assistance

I'm pretty much sold on option 2) as a CAA membership would cost just a bit less over 5yrs.

It really bothers me that these prices aren't "set", and that the financial person seems able to write down whatever number she wants. Are these negotiable in your experiences? I scored a great deal on my Sport Coupe so I don't even know how doable further negotiation would be at this point.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ended up getting a Honda care 7 year/ 100,000 mile, but it was free, I also got the plan you mentioned for the dents/dings, windshield and wheel repair. The replacement key stuff was extra, but I kept refusing that stuff till they brought it down to only 8.00 a month what ever that comes to over five years. Glad I did get it though cause i had to use it the first month I had the car :(

OP
OP
Andrea

Andrea

Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey - thanks for the response...

I have the $300 tire guard that doesn't cover rims... rims were another option that ran another $500.

I'm jealous that you got the extended warranty package for free! Last thing I want to do is increase my payments, but saw that interest rates dropped my half a percent, so my payments just went down (they said they'd give a better rate on pick up day if it was available). Because I'm leasing I'm thinking the first package may be good to have anyways, in case I decide to return her after 5 yrs.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Which warranty/maintenance options did you choose when purchasing your Civic?
- None.

I am leasing for 5 yrs and considering the buyout option if I love my car as much as I hope I will.
- It seems most people don't keep cars that long. They crave the next shiny object instead. I'd be sure to run the numbers to know if it makes better financial sense to continue as proposed or replace when your lease runs out.

Here is a price list provided by the dealership of the options I think I'm most interested in:

1) Appearance-Guard Plus 5 Year - $1500 CDN
- Repairs Dents & Dings, Windshield Repair/Replacement and Upholstery Rips Tears & Burns Coverage.
- Up to 2 Key Remote Replacements & Alloy Wheel Repair

2) Honda PLUS 5 Year 120,000km (UPL) - $1198 CDN
- Parts & labor on covered components
- 24hr roadside assistance

I'm pretty much sold on option 2) as a CAA membership would cost just a bit less over 5yrs.
The dealer wouldn't offer plans like this if they weren't making money afterall. Do you loose keys alot? Find yourself ripping apart fabric? Needing a lot of glass replaced? Read the fine print on the "covered components" .

OP
OP
Andrea

Andrea

Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
- None.

- It seems most people don't keep cars that long. They crave the next shiny object instead. I'd be sure to run the numbers to know if it makes better financial sense to continue as proposed or replace when your lease runs out.

The dealer wouldn't offer plans like this if they weren't making money afterall. Do you loose keys alot? Find yourself ripping apart fabric? Needing a lot of glass replaced? Read the fine print on the "covered components" .
I've always bought cars - never leased... couldn't say no to the better interest rates this time though. Five years from now I may require a midlife-crises Challenger; black with red leather interior... just thinking ahead ;)

I generally do not lose keys/ rip fabric/ smash windshields... however I do feel unfortunately predisposed to Murphy's Law.

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I don't feel the appearance guard is worth the money. You might get a door ding or two, which is common on used vehicles over time but any significant damage can be covered by your insurance. $1500 is pretty steep in my opinion (but I have a $500 insurance deductible and $50 windshield deductible though my insurance)

I purchased the 8 year/120,000 mile extended warranty since I didn't lease the vehicle. This was $1,100 through Saccucci Honda online (My dealer wanted to charge me $2,000 for 6 years / 80,000 miles) but if you plan on initially keeping this vehicle for 5 years you still have 3 years/36000 miles of warranty on most components followed by 5 years/60000 miles powertrain warranty at no extra cost. So, 3 of your 5 years of planned ownership is covered by the Honda Manufacturer warranty already.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've always bought cars - never leased... couldn't say no to the better interest rates this time though. Five years from now I may require a midlife-crises Challenger; black with red leather interior... just thinking ahead ;)

I generally do not lose keys/ rip fabric/ smash windshields... however I do feel unfortunately predisposed to Murphy's Law.
Is it a turbo cvt?

CapnCarl

I'm fly, I'm pilot
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Extended warranties are generally not worth it. The dealers make a ton of money on them and people rarely use them. Even when people try to use them, the terms are so strict that many things that the salesman says will be covered, aren't.

Why do you expect so much to go wrong with your car? I had a 2007 Civic that I bought new and wouldn't have been able to charge a cent of maintenance I had done to the thing until the 10+ year, 115,000-mile mark when I replaced the starter.
Do you really need roadside assistance? How many times in the past have you needed it? It would be cheaper to pay for it the one time every ten years you need it.

Off topic: OP, did you take that avatar picture in Fort Worth?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Difficult decision since you may buy out the car after 5 years. How much mileage do you do per year?

As for the Appearance Package, do read the fine print. I bought the Tire/Wheel protection but last time I hit a curb and damaged my tire and wheel, they would use not replace them. They told me that to qualify for replacement, the wheel and/or tire would have to be damaged to the extend which rendered the car inoperable.

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Interesting discussion. I am picking up a 2019 Hatch Sport next week, and am thinking about this as well.

One line of thought I had was the buyout on the vehicle is reasonable ( CDN$ 11,300 ), so I might buy it out in 4 years anyway. The things they ding ( get the pun ? ) you on at lease returns would generally me non issues, as most are cosmetic anyway. I actually know a local retired car salesman with a ding repair sideline. If you go to him, usually $50.

They had a spin the wheel type promo on purchase, and I received $150 credit on extended warranty crap. I might get a one year tire / rim warranty that woud only be $100 out of pocket....

I have a buddy that has a driveway full of leased Hondas. I will ask him what he does,,,

OP
OP
Andrea

Andrea

Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
Andrea

Andrea

Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Extended warranties are generally not worth it. The dealers make a ton of money on them and people rarely use them. Even when people try to use them, the terms are so strict that many things that the salesman says will be covered, aren't.

Why do you expect so much to go wrong with your car? I had a 2007 Civic that I bought new and wouldn't have been able to charge a cent of maintenance I had done to the thing until the 10+ year, 115,000-mile mark when I replaced the starter.
Do you really need roadside assistance? How many times in the past have you needed it? It would be cheaper to pay for it the one time every ten years you need it.

Off topic: OP, did you take that avatar picture in Fort Worth?
I expect much to go wrong as my 2017 Murano has been a hot mess of issues. Purchased it as new and have had it in the shop to try and fix a possessed electrical system about 20X. It's not throwing a code so nothing gets done and I return home again with the same intermittent issues. I'd have pursued legal action (the mechanic at Nissan suggested it), but when driving solo it's had to legally capture evidence.

My pic was at a local airshow (outside of Toronto) where I was fortunate to help out the B-28 Superfortress crew with their big baby Fifi :)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Anything EXTRA you pay for, like Extended warranty, if you are making payments, you are paying interest on that as well , during the time you are not even getting any benefit from it.

Chances are good, that if you just put away and save what you would be paying each month for that Extended warranty or extra service deal, you will be ahead of the game by the time you sell the car.

And just because you are paying for that Extra Warranty for it each month (+ the Interest), does not necessarily mean that you will ever need to use it, and if you do, chances are the Dealer will find or make up some excuse why your issue is not covered under warranty.

Just always remember, the Dealer has THEIR best interest at heart, not yours.
They would not offer these "DEALS" unless they were making money on them... the Dealer is not your Friend, and they are not looking out for YOUR best interest.
"It's BUSINESS" and they are there to make as much money off you that they can, before you "wise up" and go elsewhere. :)

OP
OP
Andrea

Andrea

Fly-girl
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Difficult decision since you may buy out the car after 5 years. How much mileage do you do per year?

As for the Appearance Package, do read the fine print. I bought the Tire/Wheel protection but last time I hit a curb and damaged my tire and wheel, they would use not replace them. They told me that to qualify for replacement, the wheel and/or tire would have to be damaged to the extend which rendered the car inoperable.
I generally am running about 20K a yr on the stupid Murano. I'll be happy to start racking them up on the new car instead, then trade in the hunk-of-junk in a few years. Hopefully will get a fair trade value by cutting the number of kms - currently upside down about 16K on it :banghead:
Sponsored