OP
OP
Hondasport

Hondasport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R-00144
What color is your CTR? If it is black I could very well see spending the money for wrap the entire vehicle if you plan to use it a lot. Any other color I don't see the point to do anything over a partial front with how the roads are around here. I just coated a 2018 Camaro SS 1le for a client last week that had Xpel ultimate and Xpel stealth on a majority of the vehicle. PPF should still be polished prior to applying the coating as most films have a light coating on them which if not removed prior to applying will cause improper bonding with the coating. Feel free to message me if you have any questions as I own a shop not far from you and only do Correction and Coating work and can likely answer questions you may have.
It’s going to be PMM. I’m sure getting the entire car covered is not necessary but I like to be cautious. Will it matter much if I get it wrapped then wait a year to get it coated?
Sponsored

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s going to be PMM. I’m sure getting the entire car covered is not necessary but I like to be cautious. Will it matter much if I get it wrapped then wait a year to get it coated?
That's a pretty easy color to keep after. I really don't see the need to ppf the whole car on this color or if you won't be using it a lot. I would do the front, hood, rockers and doors at most. You can wait to coat it, however it would be easier to do it all at once.

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
My CW is going in on the 17th this Tuesday for ceramic gold pro and PPF. 4 coats + 1 clear. Rims and brake calipers + windows. Only doing the front bumper, entire hood and the wheel arches in PPF. Quoted $2,600 for everything. Kinda steep but these guys are ranked top 5 in the nation. These guys do amazing work.
IMO it's worth doing if you have the $$

Last edited:

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
My CW is going in on the 17th this Tuesday for ceramic gold pro and PPF. 4 coats + 1 clear. Rims and brake calipers + windows. Only doing the front bumper, entire hood and the wheel arches in PPF. Quoted $2,600 for everything. Kinda steep but these guys are ranked top 5 in the nation. These guys do amazing work.
IMO it's worth doing if you have the $$
Yes, find a shop that you truth and let it loose!!! These guys have to be a bit OCD about detailing! I'm very happy with my detailer! For those around the San Francisco Bay Area, check out Jason at carzwerk.com. He is a one-man show, so QC must pass him, and he is super OCD about detailing! Pricing is similar to JJAY, but my god your car will be so POLISHED when you get it back! Like Glass :thumbsup:

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Not doing anything , when it's time to sell just get it repainted for $200 per panel .
After shopping quotes around for paint protection, I think I agree that this is what to do. Especially hearing from other owners how crappy the paint is on the CTR, what with it being the same stuff and process they spray on Fits and $16k Civics. I don't want to waste good money on PPF that's worth more than Honda's paint. Not to mention I doubt it'll just come right off without taking that mediocre paint with it. I'll just keep her detailed and waxed and then do some paint correction or repaint needed areas in a few years/before I sell.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After shopping quotes around for paint protection, I think I agree that this is what to do. Especially hearing from other owners how crappy the paint is on the CTR, what with it being the same stuff and process they spray on Fits and $16k Civics. I don't want to waste good money on PPF that's worth more than Honda's paint. Not to mention I doubt it'll just come right off without taking that mediocre paint with it. I'll just keep her detailed and waxed and then do some paint correction or repaint needed areas in a few years/before I sell.
The paint on these cars is really not that bad. Most cars are far from perfect from the factory, especially some very high end cars. To repaint a car prior to getting rid of it your going to spend far more then you would to properly protect it and keep it looking nice. Protection is only one part of picture, the biggest benefit of ceramic coatings is the ease of maintenance. Cleaning a car that is coated is EXTREMELY easy. In many cases a repaint will only throw red flags to buyers when trying to sell a fairly new car.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is my Si just after being coated with CQuartz Finest Reserve.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Protection is only one part of picture, the biggest benefit of ceramic coatings is the ease of maintenance. Cleaning a car that is coated is EXTREMELY easy. In many cases a repaint will only throw red flags to buyers when trying to sell a fairly new car.
that's exactly why i got a coating. I didn't care for PPF but I coated my car for that reason. On my daily driver, the industrial fall out and stuff around here is so bad i have to clay the car so often it becomes time consuming.
Having a coating will allow me to not have to bother waxing the car or claying the car which saves me alot of time. All depends how much time is worth for you.

@CEPA_Si how long after coating is safe to hose down the car? I got mine coated this pass Friday...my detailer told me 3 weeks:confused:
that depends on the coating used and the weather around you. Some places also used IR to cure the coating faster.
I have never heard of 3 weeks time frame though. Maybe he told you a longer time frame so he doesn't have people coming back complaining.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CEPA_Si how long after coating is safe to hose down the car? I got mine coated this pass Friday...my detailer told me 3 weeks:confused:
What coating did you have applied? Three weeks sounds like a very long time, with CQuartz, Gtechniq, 22ple, Gyeon and many of the other brands I have used you are typically safe to get the car wet after a day or so. The rule of thumb has always been you should not wash it for at least the first week. I am going to guess your detailer does not use IR lamps to fully cure the vehicle. I haven't seen one of the Type R's in blue yet. I have always been a sucker for blue cars, just booked an Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2018 Lexus RC 350 f-sport for next month. This is the latest blue one I finished up last week.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
What coating did you have applied? Three weeks sounds like a very long time, with CQuartz, Gtechniq, 22ple, Gyeon and many of the other brands I have used you are typically safe to get the car wet after a day or so. The rule of thumb has always been you should not wash it for at least the first week. I am going to guess your detailer does not use IR lamps to fully cure the vehicle. I haven't seen one of the Type R's in blue yet. I have always been a sucker for blue cars, just booked an Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2018 Lexus RC 350 f-sport for next month. This is the latest blue one I finished up last week.

He use Kamikaze
That 1LE is sick!!!

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I should really point out also, don't buy into the whole you never need to wash your car again crap that some of these companies are pushing. Ceramic Pro was notorious for this, however if you read their warranty you would end up voiding your warranty by doing so as the vehicle needs to be "properly maintained". If buying a coating based off of warranty be sure you closely read the warranty along with all their stipulations that are required to maintain the warranty. Here is a good read on some commonly spread false claims with coatings by a friend of mine.

The Truth Behind Wild Coating Claims
by Zach McGovern

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
he probably told me a longer time frame for liability reason. So I can hose this down tonight when I get home?
Unless you are using deionized water, I'd personally leave it alone and not touch it for the duration that he told you (just incase there are issues). Coating makes the surface tension so slick that it beads off water but it does not make it waterspot proof if you do leave water on there. A simple rinsing with the hose is not going to clean your car correctly
Sponsored