First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just hit 20,000 miles and i noticed a small puddle of oil in my driveway. I brought my car to the dealer Saturday and they say its coming from what they believe to be the transmission. They put dye in it and I just brought it back today for further diag. Has anyone else had any leaks or issues with the power train on their 10th gens at low miles?
Sponsored

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
I just hit 20,000 miles and i noticed a small puddle of oil in my driveway. I brought my car to the dealer Saturday and they say its coming from what they believe to be the transmission. They put dye in it and I just brought it back today for further diag. Has anyone else had any leaks or issues with the power train on their 10th gens at low miles?
I have about 26K miles on a LX Hatch. This has less hp than your SPORT and I have not had any oil issues other than the dealer overfilling the oil and not performing rotations. What kind of oil do you use or have you had dealer oil changes only? How long did you leave the FF oil in?
DO YOU HAVE a MANUAL or CVT?

OP
OP
RallyeeRedAZ

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have about 26K miles on a LX Hatch. This has less hp than your SPORT and I have not had any oil issues other than the dealer overfilling the oil and not performing rotations. What kind of oil do you use or have you had dealer oil changes only? How long did you leave the FF oil in? DO YOU HAVE a MANUAL or CVT?
I only get my car serviced at the Honda dealer so i assume 0W-20 Honda oil. The original oil was in the car till my first service was needed at about 6,000-7,000 miles i don't remember exactly when it was, and it is a CVT.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
I only get my car serviced at the Honda dealer so i assume 0W-20 Honda oil. The original oil was in the car till my first service was needed at about 6,000-7,000 miles i don't remember exactly when it was, and it is a CVT.
Cool. One more thing, you made sure they didn't overfill it right? Also, do you red-line or use lower gears at all or a lot? Just trying to brainstorm cause the only Civics that I have heard of having leaks are not hatches but the coupes and sedans.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
some people have reported leaks around the head, where the valve cover meets the head. look around there for leaks or signs of oil

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Again, can you show me where those reports were tied to the Hatches and not the coupes and sedans.
Its the same engine, not sure what being a hatch coupe or sedan has to do with it.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
50k plus, coupe cvt no leaks. Changed out trans fluid myself at 48k.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
26K, there is sign of oil in the belly pan and on the bearing housing that holds the right CV shaft. All oil changes were done by me. Don't recall spilling oil.
It seems it is coming from up from the head area. but hard to visualize it without putting the car on a rack.
Not too worried.
Exhaust also leaks where the CAT meets the flex pipe, the flange is all black. Do not hear exhaust leak.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
26K, there is sign of oil in the belly pan and on the bearing housing that holds the right CV shaft. All oil changes were done by me. Don't recall spilling oil.
It seems it is coming from up from the head area. but hard to visualize it without putting the car on a rack.
Not too worried.
Exhaust also leaks where the CAT meets the flex pipe, the flange is all black. Do not hear exhaust leak.
I wonder if it has to do when ree it was manufactured? Mine was from Canada.

OP
OP
RallyeeRedAZ

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool. One more thing, you made sure they didn't overfill it right? Also, do you red-line or use lower gears at all or a lot? Just trying to brainstorm cause the only Civics that I have heard of having leaks are not hatches but the coupes and sedans.
Yeah i checked my oil level and it wasnt over filled. I dont ever redline and theres no such thing as lower gears... i have a CVT

OP
OP
RallyeeRedAZ

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After looking at my car Honda told me they found the torque converter seal of the transmission to be seeping oil. The technician i talked to told me he has done a few on the new Civics so its not very common but im not the only one. Fortunately its covered under warranty but it's still a bummer that i'm getting leaks at 20,000 miles.

I was in the shop to see my car when they had it taken apart and i got to see the part that was causing issue. Right where that shaft is sticking out of the transmission the torque converter seal is the black ring around that piece and thats the part that was causing the leak. Also it was transmission fluid not oil that was leaking.
Honda Civic 10th gen Only 20,000 miles... IMG_4510

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
29000km without oil leaks, but i have a bit of grease coming from the cv axle support bearing

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag