Ongoing Infotainment Problems, 2016

mandy_r735

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, Cosmic Blue
Has anyone out there had ongoing issues with their Infotainment system and been able to find a solution? I just got back from dropping my 2016 Touring off at the dealership for the 9th time since I drove it off the lot in late February 2016 and I'm at the end of my rope. The dealership has been great in working with me, and tried to help me make the finances work to get out of this car, but I'm stuck for awhile, it looks like. Honda is so far unwilling to just outright replace the computer/Infotainment system, although each time it's been in, there were documented issues and "fixes" (and none of the fixes have lasted, really, including the software update in November 2016). I believe my specific car/Infotainment system is a lemon, and the dealership does too, but Honda policies and my state lemon laws revolve around mechanical issues, not electrical ones, unfortunately, so there's really no recourse there.

The issues I have had (some resolved, some on and off, some random, some ongoing all the time, and all since about 2 weeks after I got the car): Apple CarPlay randomly not working (does not recognize phone, or will recognize phone, but not pass along messages, etc.), Infotainment system shutting off randomly while driving, Infotainment system not coming on at all when car starts (this one seems resolved), Bluetooth not working at all (since 11/16 software update, this is better, although I sometimes still have to delete and re-pair my phone), caller ID on Bluetooth not working (all numbers show in international format or as random numbers, so names will not pull up, even if on my favorites list), car/system not recognizing that phone is in car to transfer calls in progress or delayed transfer/recognition sometimes 10-15 minutes after I get in the car when I'm already on a call, radio volume randomly going all the way up and not being able to turn it down without completely turning off audio or turning off car, system randomly beeping for 20 seconds or so and then returning to home/main screen, Bluetooth hanging up on callers without warning, inability to stream music via Bluetooth or use navigation apps, system unable to connect phone(s) despite "finding" them on Bluetooth, blank Infotainment screen(s) with sound, radio or Sirius music playing over my Bluetooth phone conversations, and Bluetooth "stuttering" (when using all functions: navi apps, streaming music, and phone calls). Honestly, there have been so many issues it's been in for since I got it, I can't remember them all, mostly just the ones I still deal with regularly. I've also had some of the other "garden variety" issues others have experienced (rattling subwoofer, small compartment rattles, etc.) and a TPMS issue that seems to have been resolved.

If anyone has feedback of fixes that a dealer found that worked for them, I would appreciate it! This has been going on for over a year now for me, and I'm in my car a lot, which means I depend on things like a reliable Bluetooth to do my job and deal with clients. (I've also already done extensive trouble-shooting with my phone. The issues are not related to my phone. It's definitely the car.) If anyone has help to provide, I would be grateful! I will also search the threads here... Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had one issue that could possibly make it seem like there were many issues. I set the touch screen sensitivity to High, and after that had random issues, mostly beeping and screens changing on their own. I didn't realize what caused it at first, but eventually set the touch screen sensitivity back to Low, and it resolved it. But, it doesn't sound exactly like your issue, but it's worth a shot to check it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Oh, and I had one other issue, which only affected CarPlay, in that the USB cable was bad. The phone would charge, but it would disconnect from CarPlay, and not reconnect. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and it seems to work fine now, although I don't use CarPlay that much.

OP
OP

mandy_r735

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and I had one other issue, which only affected CarPlay, in that the USB cable was bad. The phone would charge, but it would disconnect from CarPlay, and not reconnect. I replaced it with a higher quality cable and it seems to work fine now, although I don't use CarPlay that much.
Thanks so much for your input!! I've tried the sensitivity settings and switched my cables. Glad you've gotten your system to work better!!

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I had the screen that kept beeping and getting stuck on homescreen, twice they stated couldn't replicate. I took a video and tech line told them to replace the screen, that was 3 weeks ago and haven't seen that happen since. I still have this issue though, when my phone is connected via BT, if my phone rings and I press ignore call on car screen, it wont go away from the screen, still shows incoming call on radio screen and shows phone number under speedo screen. onlt way to clear it is turn car off or reboot info system. frustrating

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I had the screen that kept beeping and getting stuck on homescreen, twice they stated couldn't replicate. I took a video and tech line told them to replace the screen, that was 3 weeks ago and haven't seen that happen since. I still have this issue though, when my phone is connected via BT, if my phone rings and I press ignore call on car screen, it wont go away from the screen, still shows incoming call on radio screen and shows phone number under speedo screen. only way to clear it is turn car off or reboot info system. frustrating

OP
OP

mandy_r735

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone reading these threads... I picked up my car from the dealership earlier today. Nothing is fixed. After the dealer jumped through a million hoops to get Honda to finally okay a replacement on the entire Infotainment system (not just the screen), Honda told them replacement wouldn't fix anything, and that I would continue to have the same issues I'm having now (but still said they could replace if I wanted it. I declined at this time, based on Honda saying it wouldn't fix the issues.). Honda allegedly told the dealership that they are aware of "widespread issues" and are working on another software update. They wouldn't tell the dealership when that would be ready. For now, I'll be going to the dealership every few weeks when the system acts up for system re-sets (not the ones you can do yourself by holding down the power button, but full resets that can only be done by a dealer). Crossing my fingers that this next software update takes care of the issues. Honda really needs to get their IT-shit together on this one, in my opinion. (And for the record, this dealership has a stellar record and reputation, and I've worked with them for over a decade. I trust what they're telling me.)

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Mine just beeps constantly and goes back to the homescreen all the time. Android car play doesn't connect to my phone. However, my friend charged his phone using my usb one time and bluetooth is now synced to his phone instead of mine. When ever I start my car, it searches for his phone....so strange.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine just beeps constantly and goes back to the homescreen all the time. Android car play doesn't connect to my phone. However, my friend charged his phone using my usb one time and bluetooth is now synced to his phone instead of mine. When ever I start my car, it searches for his phone....so strange.
Yeah, Honda really blew it. Mechanically, the car seems great. But they need better software engineers.

I had the issue with the beeping and going back to the home screen. When I changed the touch screen sensitivity back to the default value, Low, it stopped.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Also, you can delete your friends phone from the Bluetooth Device List under Settings (you must be stopped to do this).
Sponsored