Country flag
Last edited:

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
This is another blow to the MT. Mazda is no longer offering a manual option for their 2019 Mazda 6...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26986448/mazda-6-manual-killed-2019/
Yep, saw this news. Mazda has gone in 100 different directions in the past 10 years, ugh. Are they sporty? Are they luxurious? Are they both? They have no clue.

I doubt anyone was purchasing this but still sad news regardless. The 6 actually drives REALLY well -- in fact, I like some aspects of the handling more than the Si. You actually can feel G-vectoring control and the steering is excellent, better than the 3 in my opinion. Too bad they softened it up for 2019, I doubt it feels the same.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Not a big loss, only the base model was offered in manual. The turbo models of the 6 have been automatic only.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Yep, saw this news. Mazda has gone in 100 different directions in the past 10 years, ugh. Are they sporty? Are they luxurious? Are they both? They have no clue.
Totally agree on Mazda. They were once zoom-zoom and now it's value luxury in a slowish package.

I'm sure they've done the business research and know what their market is, but to me they've lost that specialness they once had as a smaller niche manufacturer.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

I doubt anyone was purchasing this but still sad news regardless. The 6 actually drives REALLY well -- in fact, I like some aspects of the handling more than the Si. You actually can feel G-vectoring control and the steering is excellent, better than the 3 in my opinion. Too bad they softened it up for 2019, I doubt it feels the same.
I actually looked at the Mazda 6 Sport Manual last year, but when I test drove it I felt it was way to underpowered, although it was extremely smooth. The Grand turing only came in auto and was way more than I wanted to spend

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not a big loss, only the base model was offered in manual. The turbo models of the 6 have been automatic only.
Every loss of a mt option counts. Although I felt the Mazda 6 Sport was a bit under powered, if Honda did not have a manual transmission option I would have bought it, as I was really Keen in getting back to a manual, and this was still a very good car and comfortable to drive

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I actually looked at the Mazda 6 Sport Manual last year, but when I test drove it I felt it was way to underpowered, although it was extremely smooth. The Grand turing only came in auto and was way more than I wanted to spend
I've noticed a lot of people find it underpowered. I thought it had pretty good midrange, but I'm not a fan of the Skyactiv-G engine. It sounds grainy down low and not great throughout. It's not bad by any means, but this is why so many people hate on Mazda these days - we expect more from them!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've noticed a lot of people find it underpowered. I thought it had pretty good midrange, but I'm not a fan of the Skyactiv-G engine. It sounds grainy down low and not great throughout. It's not bad by any means, but this is why so many people hate on Mazda these days - we expect more from them!
Yes, it has really low mid-range power, partly due to being a very efficient NA engine, although it does get better at the higher ranges, but I did not get to really test that out as much. Now the Grand Touring is another story, but that only comes in a 6 speed auto and is priced near $30K

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to say I'm surprised, but the MT is dying except for those that specifically look for it, and even then, those numbers are dwindling due to reasons like this and it becoming harder to find/more hoops to jump through to get. Cars are turning more into the safety, self driving/monitoring, leisure type of asset, rather than the gear mashing, pedal to the metal type, that brand has been taxed and run into the ground due to world changes and environmental changes. Very few people my age (in my area) were taught how to drive on a MT, myself included. I purchased my last car as a MT without even knowing how to drive it and taught myself. I'm 1 of 2 people I know that can even drive a MT now.

The mom-mobile is on the rise, and more companies have switched to mid-sized to SUV sized production, and axed performance/sedans.
Interesting story to your point. There is a young engineer who works at my company, late 20's maybe just entering his thirties. A group of us went to lunch, we took my car. He noticed that it was a manual transmission and made the following comment: "Is that a manual? Last time I saw one of those I was in my gramps car." I grew up on manuals (1980's), than moved to automatics when I got married, and after about 20 years decided I wanted to come back

Reactions: mjh
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All my friends have no idea how my car works, and better yet, living in a city, it's a huge anti-theft bonus.
True, so true! Who needs a fricken alarm when probably 90 percent of car thieves will just move on

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mazda 6 was to big and slow for a manual trans anyway

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another car off my list.

There are plenty of other manufactures that have Manual Transmissions in the US that want your business.

The exit of American brand cars just moved more customers to the Japanese & Korean brands.

The Honda Civic has sold over 300,000 Civics per year in the US for the last 6-7 years in a row, & that is just 1 model.

Virtually EVERY vehicle in Europe is still offered with a Manual Transmission. They know that in Real World Driving (RWD) Manuals get better MPG, are faster, & have LOWER emissions.

You can always import the Manual car from Europe.

Mazda6
SKYACTIV-G 145
6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe (6-Speed Manual)

Want the top-of-the-line model with a Diesel?
Sports-Line Plus-Paket
SKYACTIV-D 184
135 (184) kW (PS) | Diesel

184 PS = 181 BHP (Brake Horse Power)

181 HP 6-Speed Diesel Mazda6!!!

Start here: https://www.mazda.de/konfigurator/MAZDA6/4SD/

Want the NEW 2019 Mazda CX-5 in a Diesel with a 6-Speed Manual?
Start here: https://www.mazda.de/konfigurator/MAZDA CX-5/5WGN/

If you want to go top-of-the-line, it's expensive, but you'll get the same Diesel motor as the Mazda6 WITH a 6-Speed Manual AND 4-Wheel Drive (Allradantrieb (AWD)).

All of these NEW Manual Cars are available.
If enough people import them, the American division will get a clue and start importing them here.
Americans don't want cars, they want giant SUV's, trucks, and crossovers, and as long as gas is cheap, this trend will continue

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
damn another 1 bites the dust!

pretty soon there wont be anything availble to drive but shitty automatic, electric cars! god its getting depressing.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
A Honda Forum talking about Mazda....
Mazda will be just fine with the direction they are taking. Be fine with the direction you yourself have taken.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag